Author Topic: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 39785 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2023, 08:53:01 PM »
Not sure if it has been reported here yet or if I am doing something wrong my occasionally my Naval admin command will switch their minimum rank requirements to Ground force ones and reassign ground force commanders, which naturally causes them to provide no bonus. I have seen this happen most often with a training type admin command and have been able to fix it by deleting the old one and remaking it but its still odd and requires me to constantly check to make sure things are working in my admin commands

I've reported this. It seems to happen because the admin command rank grabs the first rank of that level from the DB without checking if it is a naval rank. Should be an easy fix if it's not in already.

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
I'm having a problem with combat colliers.  My battle fleet has destroyed several enemy and now that I've eliminated their fast interceptors I brought up my combat colliers to reload before engaging the main enemy fleet, but they won't load ammo.  Normally I attach them as a subfleet but I also tried moving it to the main fleet.  I also tried both reload and replace options.  The Mad Max class is a combination tanker/supply ship/collier and it appears to be refueling the fleet just fine but it won't load ordinance. 

See Battle Fleet in Camlann which is currently out of range of all known contacts.  Mad Max is a tanker, supply ship, and collier with one cargo shuttle bay, a refueling system, and ordinance transfer system.  It is loaded with 100x size 4 Albacore 3x ASM missiles and 100x size 1 Sundew AMM.  DD-3 has fired all 90 of her Albacore 3x but isn't reloading.  It does refuel the fleet. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2023, 12:56:04 PM »
I'm having a problem with combat colliers.  My battle fleet has destroyed several enemy and now that I've eliminated their fast interceptors I brought up my combat colliers to reload before engaging the main enemy fleet, but they won't load ammo.  Normally I attach them as a subfleet but I also tried moving it to the main fleet.  I also tried both reload and replace options.  The Mad Max class is a combination tanker/supply ship/collier and it appears to be refueling the fleet just fine but it won't load ordinance. 

See Battle Fleet in Camlann which is currently out of range of all known contacts.  Mad Max is a tanker, supply ship, and collier with one cargo shuttle bay, a refueling system, and ordinance transfer system.  It is loaded with 100x size 4 Albacore 3x ASM missiles and 100x size 1 Sundew AMM.  DD-3 has fired all 90 of her Albacore 3x but isn't reloading.  It does refuel the fleet.

Do the ships have a correct ammo loadout specified? I can't check your DB right now but this is the most common reason for this issue.

The other thing to check is if the fleet reloads after refueling. I don't know the mechanics here, but it may be that only one of those things can happen at a time. I've never used a hybrid tanker/collier to check this.

The following users thanked this post: bankshot

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2023, 01:38:59 PM »
Good thought, but it did not reload after refueling was complete.  Mad Max has one 500 capacity commercial magazine with the following loadout:
100x Albacore 3x ASM (size 4)
100x Sundew 4 CM (size 1)

The Andenes ASM 2 loadout is as follows:

90x Albacore 3x ASM (size 4)
405x Albacore 4 ASM (size 4)

Maybe because the Mad Max has both ASM and AMM, or the Andenes has two types of missiles it won't load?  I'll have to experiment with that after this battle is over.

I didn't build enough ordinance factories to fully resupply with the new missiles, but the old ones are faster (12 damage) where the new ones are slower 16 damage, so it does make some sense to have both, but the micromanagement to load 45 missile tubes manually is annoying so after this fight I think I'm going to scrap the old 3x missiles. 

I also have non-combat tanker/supply ships and they have been able to refuel and resupply survey ships without issue.  But those tankers don't carry ordinance.

I haven't been able to reliably duplicate it yet but I'm also seeing some hangups with issuing a refuel/resupply/reload order when the ships have an odd magazine size (re: 97% full but can't load another missile).  The order seems to get stuck waiting for the reload to complete but it never does because it can't load another missile to get to 100%. 

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2023, 11:40:06 PM »
Joining a mad max to the fleet post-battle it transferred the 100x Sundew CMs but would not transfer the Albacore ASMs.  With only one shuttle MSP transfer is slow, so I'm not sure whether it started immediately or waited until after the missiles were transferred.  This was done while refueling was in progress. 

So the issue may be with multiple missile types on a collier.  But I tried detaching just one ASM that needed reloading along with the collier after it had offloaded the Sundews and it still wouldn't reload.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:45:54 PM by bankshot »

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2023, 09:24:41 AM »
After removing and re-adding the missile loadouts for both the support ship and destroyer and a save and load it started working.  So there is probably some interaction between what order you specify the ordinance in the class design and whether or not it will see the missiles to load them.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2023, 12:59:52 AM »
It is possible to assign a waypoint as a target for a beam fire control and then fire on that waypoint, generating energy weapon impact contacts - which are placed at the position of the system primary, not the waypoint. I feel sure that some or all of what I've described is not intended, particularly since beam weapons firing at a waypoint do nothing unlike missiles.

SJW: Fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:32:15 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2023, 02:26:59 PM »
Salvaged weapons are not added to the observed weapon list of enemy craft.

I destroyed a Mastadon class craft in Camlann.  Salvaging the wreck returned 4 working size 4 missile launchers but did not add missile launchers to the list of observed weapons.  Similarly when recovering a working TH 1-11 thermal sensor from a Bavern class craft on September 10 2071 it was not added to the list of observed technologies.  Components that are working/can be reused should automatically add to your knowledge of the ship class.  I can see where those which are not working may or may not add to your knowledge.

The salvage notice is in the current day's event log in auroraDB.  To duplicate: load the AuroraSaveBackupDB.db and advance time 8 days.   

SJW: Intact components recovered from wrecks will add weapons, sensors and technology to the respective Alien Class in v2.2
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 11:27:18 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline joshuawood

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2023, 05:07:38 PM »
Hitting "create colony" on a gas giant in the system view creates an actual colony, not a DSP (which is the suspected correct outcome)

This means you can put ground units and installations on gas giants, including auto-mines.

2 people tested known in 2.1.1

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:33:55 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2023, 11:05:09 PM »
When towing a ship (or presumably any other object e.g. a space station etc) with no engine (i.e. a speed of 1km/s), if the towed ship takes any fire from an enemy, it is "detached from parent fleet due to damage". This is presumably due to the normal logic of detaching ships which lose their engines in combat so as not to cause the rest of the fleet to stop. However, in this case the towed ship had shields and didn't even take any damage to armor or components, just some light shield damage, and it was still booted from the fleet.

Context: I was experimenting with building a floating point defense barge to be towed towards spoilers with strong missile capability. The idea was that I'd normally park these things near my capital and/or big colonies as PD, but upon need could tow them out to soak up ASMs and AMMs from spoilers. Doesn't work that well if they stop dead in their tracks any time they take a stray shield hit from a pidly AMM.

Update: I did some experimenting by turning on SM and adding a small engine to my PD barge so it's speed wasn't 1km/s. Any damage still results in getting kicked out of the fleet. I think it must be because it's under tow. I assume this is still not intended behavior?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:23:10 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
I built a spacestation and it was assigned to a civilian fleet.

Ive searched the forum and see this is previously reported bug from many versions ago (1.5.1).

Ive just experienced it in v 2.1.1

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2023, 07:56:26 AM »
I am running a Real Stars game (no mods) with 3 factions on Earth (2 NPRs).

After about 5 years the 2 NPRs started a war between them and when the loser surrendered, they surrendered to me instead of to the victor.

Was that a population surrender or ship surrender, or both?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »
During a travel though some jump points, is it possible that a ship class increases its mass? an increase that prevents the next jump(s)?
I have ordered a fleet, made of two ships of the same class, to perform 4 jumps.
After 3 jumps, just when the fleet has to enter the last JP, the game event is saying to me:
"Battle Fleet cannot carry out a transit as there is no available jump drive capable of allowing the fleet's military engined ships to enter the jump point".
This is the class:

Regolo-2 class Assault Ship      40,090 tons       1,142 Crew       8,277.2 BP       TCS 802    TH 1,875    EM 4,800
4677 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 1-104       Shields 160-400       HTK 234      Sensors 0/12/0/0      DCR 2      PPV 70
Maint Life 0.98 Years     MSP 35,258    AFR 6429%    IFR 89.3%    1YR 36,154    5YR 542,304    Max Repair 2319.3 MSP
Capitano di Corvetta    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 9 months    Morale Check Required   

J40000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 40000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Ion Drive  EP375.00 (10)    Power 3750    Fuel Use 116.91%    Signature 187.5    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 7.7 billion km (19 days at full power)
Gamma S20 / R400 Shields (8)     Recharge Time 400 seconds (0.4 per second)

30cm C4 Soft X-ray Laser (7)    Range 256,000km     TS: 5,000 km/s     Power 24-4     RM 60,000 km    ROF 30       
CIWS-160 (10x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16,000 km/s     ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R256-TS8000 (50%) (2)     Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 8,000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R28-PB30 (2)     Total Power Output 56.2    Exp 15%

Active Search Sensor AS32-R20 (50%) (1)     GPS 840     Range 32.9m km    Resolution 20
ELINT Module (2)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  27.4m km

ECCM-2 (2)         ECM 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Warship for auto-assignment purposes

The anomaly is in the class mass (40,090 tons) vs. the jump drive capability (Max Ship Size 40000 tons).
If this was true at the first jump point, the fleet couldn't even enter it. Instead the ships did 3 jumps, before this message.
How is it possible?

P.S.
In the system where my battle fleet should arrive after the last jump, there could be a fleet of an unknown alien race that destroyed one my survey ship few days ago. My fleet is going there to rescue the lifepods, and attack the enemy ships.

Were the other jump points stabilised? The ship should not be able to jump otherwise.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2023, 11:20:05 AM »
I've been unable to generate a new game with random stars. Game freezes after player race creation, and when I reload I just get a blank screen where clicking on anything throws an error from Function $155. With real stars turned on it works okay. DB attached, I don't believe I've done any modding beyond tweaking a few tech or component names/values. I recall there was a bug about this in v2.0 - maybe something in that wasn't completely fixed?

Finally tracked this one down. There is a rare potential problem in random stars system generation for systems with at least three stars. This affects all system generation, not just at start, and explains similar reported bugs in earlier versions. The reason it affects game startup quite frequently is that the game generates a lot of systems to find a suitable NPR starting system, so there is a lot more system generation happening in game creation than is obvious.

The system generation code tries to enforce a minimum and maximum distance between stars. For example, if Component C orbits Component B (which itself orbits A), then the Maximum Orbital Distance is 1/3rd of the distance from C to A. If C orbits A, then the Minimum Orbital Distance will be at least 3x further out than B. This gets more complex with four stars. There is also a secondary consideration, which is that the minimum distance between two stars cannot be less than the combined diameters of the stars involved.

The bug is caused by rare situations involving massive stars in trinaries and quaternaries where the minimum distance is greater than the maximum distance, so the code that keeps trying orbits until it finds a suitable one goes into an endless loop.

I've added some new code that will intervene at this point and either use the average of the min and max, or the combined diameters plus 20%, whichever is greater. It might result in the occasional cramped system, but it should be fine in general (and much better than the current situation).

EDIT - this situation was exacerbated by another problem. I just realised that I was using Sol Diameters for the size of Stars, when everything else is in AU. That meant for the purposes of the above calculation, the stars were assumed to be 100x larger than their actual diameter, which lead to the min-max problem happening far more often. Aaargh! This went unnoticed for so long because I don't play random stars games.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 04:54:49 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: TheBawkHawk, nuclearslurpee, Hari, Ragnarsson

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »
yeah i can live without jump loops, but my concern is that its cause the local system generation is borked, and if it is then that would be why im not running into NPR's, as the systems we discover arent being looped to systems they discover.  So you practically have to brute force find their systems as theres no chance for it to link it instead of generating a new system.

On average, 1 in 15 systems in Known Stars will connect to a known system. This is not connected to Local System settings as those only apply to Random Stars games.

Check this post on a recent Known Stars campaign. The loops became even more complex soon after.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11100.msg163024#msg163024