Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 355466 times)

El Pip and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2020, 02:20:58 AM »
Is there any benefit to Damage Control above 100?

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2020, 04:28:49 AM »
Is there any benefit to Damage Control above 100?
The percentage chance of repair is equal to ((Increment Length in Seconds / Repair Cost) *  Damage Control Rating) / 1000

So if you had a Damage Control of 100, you would need (repair cost)*10 seconds for a 100% chance to repair it in that increment.
If you had a Damage Control of 1000, you would need (repair cost)*1 seconds, so it would (roughly) be ten times fasterRemember that these are chances.
In your ship design, take a look at the max repair cost to give you an indication, or (If I remember correctly) the cost of the individual Components to see how much time it would take.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2020, 04:33:34 AM »

1) Turn on auto-assignment for commanders.

2) Build a deeper admin command tree.

3) Build more academies.

4) Forget all that, just keep promotions from happening without spending an entire Sunday clicking a checkbox.
If you like, I will write a SQL script that will uncheck that box for you, for all your commanders.
If you just want a one-time fix, you can send me your DB and I will run the script on it.
If you would like to be able to do it on an ongoing basis, I can send you the script and explain what you need to do to execute it.
Send me a PM if you want to go this route.

Ok, I think I should have done a better job of providing this info, so here it goes:
1-Auto Assignment is on (forgot that in the post)
2-Im not sure a deeper command tree would help, since I couldnt get 2 levels without ships having too high of a rank
3-I have THOUSANDS of unused Naval Commanders. I have hundreds/dozens of high level commanders. I sincerely hope this is not the problem :s
4-Thanks for the offer, but you offered up another solution to the problem:

Decades ago I had assigned some commanders to the diplomatic ships bc they wouldnt get commanders. Somehow they survived decades and kept getting promoted, until reaching a level that messed up the heirarchy. Since they were spread out it took a while to figure out that it was the diplo ships causing the problem.

Unfortunately the game are very restrictive in how officer recruitment works and I think that Steve should sit down and remake the system into a pool system of resources you simply can draw from and where promotions are based on supply and demand. The only time you would get an officer without an assignment should be when something happen in the game and there is no suitable position for them to go to, such as a ship are destroyed/scraped and the captain survives/decommission and there is no available ship for the captain to command, the captain now will have to wait for a new position to open up.

The academy don't produce people but rather a points pool from which you draw people when there is a need to. This pool should be a caped value so if you are not using it it will not grow above a certain limit, this is depending on the number of academies and the setting of training level.

So... when you need a new tactical officer and you don't have one available then a new recruit will be generated with a focus on the tactical skill.

Promotions should then be based on political ties and the overall skill of officer and at least some proficiency in the demanded skill for the position. There can also be some randomness thrown in there as well.

This system would be more dynamic and fun in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:05:32 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Does anyone else notice the time needed to save the game gets very long as time goes on?
My own game is in 2074 (started 2025) and I just timed the save game function at 21.6 seconds.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »
Does anyone else notice the time needed to save the game gets very long as time goes on?
My own game is in 2074 (started 2025) and I just timed the save game function at 21.6 seconds.

I would look at the logs, especially if they are filled by allot of ground combat reports that could be a potential bottleneck. I know this will hamper turn times allot during extensive ground combat. I have seen that when I ran several long ground combat in sequence that each took a few moths to conclude, especially with lots of aircraft involved as each on make a single entry in the logs. If you have a few hundred fighters that adds up over time and ground fighters tend to be rather small as that soaks enemy AA fire allot more effectively than large fighters.

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »

I would look at the logs, especially if they are filled by allot of ground combat reports that could be a potential bottleneck. I know this will hamper turn times allot during extensive ground combat. I have seen that when I ran several long ground combat in sequence that each took a few moths to conclude, especially with lots of aircraft involved as each on make a single entry in the logs. If you have a few hundred fighters that adds up over time and ground fighters tend to be rather small as that soaks enemy AA fire allot more effectively than large fighters.

Do you purge the logs is that it?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2020, 09:43:33 AM »

I have had zero combat (ground or space).

Also, each Jan-1 I manually delete all fleet history records (of my own race) older than 2 years.
That seemed to make a difference when I started doing it, but obviously there is something else now slowing the save down.
Actually, let me test the fleet history theory...
(hold music)
...and, maybe not so much.
My race had 14,670 fleet history records. Saving took 21.6 seconds.
After deleting all of them, saving took 20.85 seconds.

Total fleet history records for all races: 74,148.
After deleting all of them, saving took 19.31 seconds.

So it would seem that large numbers of fleet history records increases save times, but in this case it is not a major culprit.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »

It looks like there are some tables in the database with history/log data that get very large, and purging these tables can help reduce the save times.

The biggest one for me was the table with commander history.
After purging all records older than two years (191k records), the save time dropped from 21.6 seconds to 14.6 seconds.

Similar purges of the game log table and the fleet history table each reduced the save time by one second.
Fleet history may have more of an impact in other games--I was already purging my own race's records after two years.

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2020, 08:42:33 AM »
How can I get my Geosurvey Ships to not enter Alien Territory? They have Standing Orders to Automate them, but I have flagged the Alien System as under their control, banned all bodies, restricted fleet automovement and military restricted it.

Stupid ships STILL try to enter it, pissing off the Aliens I want to befriend.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
How can I get my Geosurvey Ships to not enter Alien Territory? They have Standing Orders to Automate them, but I have flagged the Alien System as under their control, banned all bodies, restricted fleet automovement and military restricted it.

On the Movement Orders tab for each fleet there is an "Exclude Alien-Controlled" checkbox.
Have you checked it?

The following users thanked this post: Dawa1147

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »

On the Movement Orders tab for each fleet there is an "Exclude Alien-Controlled" checkbox.
Have you checked it?

Thats the one! Must be blind, I kept not finding it.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »
Is the Ancient Constructs tab in Economics working? I have identified Ancient Construct (Const/Prod 70%) on one of my colonies with 80m population so it should be active. But there is nothing in Ancient Construct tab.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:28 PM »
Is the Ancient Constructs tab in Economics working? I have identified Ancient Construct (Const/Prod 70%) on one of my colonies with 80m population so it should be active. But there is nothing in Ancient Construct tab.

I second this question, similar issue with them not showing up - I thought that it might be because I have invaders turned off in my game.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:03 AM »
I have them turned off as well, So maybe that is the reason, can anyone who plays with Invaders on please confirm if the tab works for them?

Offline Ultimoos

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
How do I increase protection level on a colony?
I've built some STO's and delivered them to a colony but protection level is still 0.