Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361850 times)

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #675 on: November 20, 2020, 01:20:26 AM »
By the way, are ruins now protected (at time) by something like in VB6, or it is 100% safe?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #676 on: November 20, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »
By the way, are ruins now protected (at time) by something like in VB6, or it is 100% safe?

Why spoil the fun?

yes

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11945.msg141863#msg141863
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:01:10 AM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #677 on: November 20, 2020, 06:57:58 AM »
Is it an expected delay to need 2 days and 17hours for the load of 250 minerals (one type, so almost one month for all 10 of them) from Earth? The planet has a spaceport and the freighter one shuttle bay?  :o

Edit: and the same ship managed to balance the levels of all 10 minerals on Mars in one day (spaceport there). It makes no sense.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:18:30 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #678 on: November 20, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »
Are you sure 2 days 17 hours is not for all 11 minerals?

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #679 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:54 AM »
I tested again in a new install of 1.12, vanilla. I confirm that each order takes more than 2 days. I'll post that in the other forum.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #680 on: November 22, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »
Does anyone know how Naval HQ range is calculated? Right now I have lvl 1000 HQ at earth and cannot read its range because of UI so I want to know if I can calculate it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #681 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Does anyone know how Naval HQ range is calculated? Right now I have lvl 1000 HQ at earth and cannot read its range because of UI so I want to know if I can calculate it.

The rule is that Naval HQ range goes up by one every time you double the number of HQs. So 1 HQ - 1 range, 2 HQ = 2 range, 4 HQ = 3 range, etc. It is easier to write this the other way around, in terms of number of HQs (N) to get a desired range (R):
Code: [Select]
N = 2^(R-1)
In your case to calculate the range for 1,000 HQs you would need to take the inversion:
R = LOG2(N) + 1 = LN(N) / LN(2) + 1
If I "round" your 1,000 HQs to 1024 this gives you a range of 11 systems (note that if you have fewer than this, even 1023, your range is rounded down to 10 - ouch!). I would suggest breaking out the ol' freighter fleet and shipping your HQs to other systems to build up a more distributed chain of command, since you can use those HQs to instead make many smaller HQs in specific places, probably using sector commands as well would be a good idea. However, since the number of systems in Aurora tends to increase roughly logarithmically with distance from Sol as well, your current setup is not as horribly inefficient as it might sound.

Note that Survey and Patrol admin commands have double the effective range, which makes them useful for carrying out survey (duh) and long-range combat operations.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #682 on: November 22, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »

The rule is that Naval HQ range goes up by one every time you double the number of HQs. So 1 HQ - 1 range, 2 HQ = 2 range, 4 HQ = 3 range, etc. It is easier to write this the other way around, in terms of number of HQs (N) to get a desired range (R):
N = 2^(R-1)
In your case to calculate the range for 1,000 HQs you would need to take the inversion:
R = LOG2(N) + 1 = LN(N) / LN(2) + 1
If I "round" your 1,000 HQs to 1024 this gives you a range of 11 systems (note that if you have fewer than this, even 1023, your range is rounded down to 10 - ouch!). I would suggest breaking out the ol' freighter fleet and shipping your HQs to other systems to build up a more distributed chain of command, since you can use those HQs to instead make many smaller HQs in specific places, probably using sector commands as well would be a good idea. However, since the number of systems in Aurora tends to increase roughly logarithmically with distance from Sol as well, your current setup is not as horribly inefficient as it might sound.

Note that Survey and Patrol admin commands have double the effective range, which makes them useful for carrying out survey (duh) and long-range combat operations.

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks. I guess I need 24 more HQs on earth. I suppose what I could do in addition is add smaller local commands, is there a cost to switching an existing admin to a different location?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #683 on: November 22, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »
This is exactly what I was looking for thanks. I guess I need 24 more HQs on earth. I suppose what I could do in addition is add smaller local commands, is there a cost to switching an existing admin to a different location?

No, there's no cost for that.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #684 on: November 22, 2020, 02:24:35 PM »
Lot of questions, but they should be easy to reply  ;D

1 - Are STO benefiting from a commander, which stat would count if yes?
2 - Are logistic ground units benefiting from a ground commander with logistic? How would that work if yes?
3 - When you discover a new ship class for a NPR, you get the class handle, and it seems correct (TK, FS, GE), seems strange to me, a bit of an exploit even?
4 - The production cycle is by default 5 days, why not switch to one day? Because at time it means 4 days lost without any production, when you finish an item.
5 - What happens when you have a fleet with commanders with diverse logistic bonus. Does the fleet load/unload at the slowest speed or there is somehow an average done?
6 - How can I know more about the ground units OOB of a neutral NPR? I detect signatures on the surface, but can I know more? Would an ELINT give me more info?
 7 - I obviously don't know how to use my diplomacy ship. I want to raise relations with a specific race. China seems to be able to do so with me, as we are now at 150 relations, I want to do the same but toward another race (the USA, I'm UNE)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #685 on: November 22, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
Lot of questions, but they should be easy to reply  ;D

1 - Are STO benefiting from a commander, which stat would count if yes?
2 - Are logistic ground units benefiting from a ground commander with logistic? How would that work if yes?
3 - When you discover a new ship class for a NPR, you get the class handle, and it seems correct (TK, FS, GE), seems strange to me, a bit of an exploit even?
4 - The production cycle is by default 5 days, why not switch to one day? Because at time it means 4 days lost without any production, when you finish an item.
5 - What happens when you have a fleet with commanders with diverse logistic bonus. Does the fleet load/unload at the slowest speed or there is somehow an average done?
6 - How can I know more about the ground units OOB of a neutral NPR? I detect signatures on the surface, but can I know more? Would an ELINT give me more info?
 7 - I obviously don't know how to use my diplomacy ship. I want to raise relations with a specific race. China seems to be able to do so with me, as we are now at 150 relations, I want to do the same but toward another race (the USA, I'm UNE)

1. I'm not certain, but I think they would receive the same bonuses as any other ground unit from their commander and simply not benefit from most of them, but a bonus like Ground Combat Defence would make them harder to hit for enemy ground units (and ships? I don't know). Maybe the training bonus would help as well.

2. Actually they do not, since the logistics bonus gives a unit a chance to not consume GSP in a combat round. LOG units do not consume GSP thus do not benefit.

4. The main reason is that a shorter production cycle makes the turns take longer. You can set it lower if you want to but the benefit is really minimal most of the time since construction projects are usually on the order of one or more years in time to complete.

5. Each ship loads or unloads at the skill determined by their commander as well as any admin Logistics HQ copmmanders above them in the hierarchy. The commander of one ship does not affect the load/unload speed of another ship in the same fleet.

6. I believe ELINT is planned to do this but not yet added. If you neutralize the STOs from orbit, you can maybe scout with ground fighters as they can perform some missions without planetside FFD and use that intel to determine which of your own forces to commit.

7. You may need to check that you have communications established with the other race. Otherwise I'm not sure, I've always just parked a DIP ship next to the AI DIP ship and let the two of them swap stories for a few decades.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #686 on: November 22, 2020, 06:16:54 PM »
It does not do this by default.  There's a setting somewhere, can't remember the exact text or location, that does this which you must have turned on without realizing.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #687 on: November 23, 2020, 01:24:26 AM »
Thanks guys. So for Diplomacy ships, nothing much to do but wait? Communication is already established but no progress in relationships are made

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #688 on: November 23, 2020, 01:56:28 AM »
Thanks guys. So for Diplomacy ships, nothing much to do but wait? Communication is already established but no progress in relationships are made

It doesn't tell you whether you've improved their impression of you or not. The only number you can know is your impression of them, and if they are improving that number then you'll get messages to that effect.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #689 on: November 23, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
It does not do this by default.  There's a setting somewhere, can't remember the exact text or location, that does this which you must have turned on without realizing.
Yeah, you've ticked the box in Alien Race Window that says "Use Real Names/Classes" which requires SM mode.

STO units do not really benefit from any bonuses. The avoidance bonus they get from "avoid combat" box which you should always tick for HQ, supply and STO units, is much, much, much more powerful than any commander bonus. You should use your ground commanders for your combat units where a +10% to defence is much more important.

You can switch the production cycle to whatever you want. In VB6 there were few reports that 24 hours or lesser cycles caused issues so I always went with 3-day cycles. In C# I've been using 1-day production cycle for my campaign as it's ultra-low tech so every day counts, and there haven't been any issues. Obviously, it slows you down a little bit because processing turns takes longer - or rather there are more turns to process per in-game year.

Different logistics bonuses for the fleet are not averaged but that's not a problem because the ships are also not loaded all at the same time. Instead, Ship A loads first, then once it's full, Ship B starts loading, then when it's full, Ship C starts loading, and so on and so forth. So each captain with logistics bonus gets full use out of it and they do shorten the overall loading time of the fleet. I have suggested that ships in the same fleet would load parallel instead of sequential before but to my knowledge, this process hasn't changed and affects cargo ships, troop transports, tankers and ammunition transports.

I don't think anything gives you information about enemy ground OOB.