Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345814 times)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #780 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:41 AM »
Do Replacement really work?

I have tried to use them but so far not even a single unit has moved from their formation to another.

I tested it when 1.12 came out and it worked. You do have to use unit series to make it work, and it won't swap a unit out for an updated unit in the same series, it will only replace losses based on the formation template.

I kind did it, but still cannot manage. I have stopped my AAR because it's driving me nuts so now it is a principle matter! Day number 3, everything ready to be published only missing part is my ground units to replenish. Funny thing is that by now I would have manually finished to update them all!

;D

I thought unit series could be needed even if it wasn't said, but what if I have only 1 per kind as I have not researched any update yet?

I tried just with the infantry and despite having the series still does not work. I refuse to believe Steve wants us to get a series for every single unit or at least this is not what it was advertised here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11593.msg140370#msg140370

You must have a unit series for every "kind" of unit or element, not for every individual unit. For example I can have a "Rifleman" series with elements Rifleman Mk I, Rifleman Mk II, and so on. This is the configuration I have tested and it works for me at least.

Make sure that you have designated a formation template for the unit you want to reinforce (I can't recall if in your game you started on 1.11, if so then old units may lack a template) and that the replacement formation has the "Use for Replacements" checkbox marked.

Also note that this replacement only happens after a construction increment, not any arbitrary game time increment. If you are not seeing the reinforcement behavior immediately try advancing time 5 days or however long.

Okay, getting somewhere.

You MUST create a series for every single unit or it won't work.

Thanks Nuclear, your tips made me willing to copy all units just to be sure.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #781 on: December 07, 2020, 02:07:22 AM »
I don't understand why it has to be like this, is that a bug? In theory, provided you set some units as being replacements for other, without a template for them, then they should be sucked out dry by the other units, and that's it. All the data and logic is there and there is no need for a series.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2020, 02:13:47 AM »
I don't understand why it has to be like this, is that a bug? In theory, provided you set some units as being replacements for other, without a template for them, then they should be sucked out dry by the other units, and that's it. All the data and logic is there and there is no need for a series.

Actually the data and logic isn't there, because the replacement system works using series. This is what allows it to for instance replace Rifleman Mk I losses in a formation with upgraded Rifleman Mk II - it won't replace existing Mk I but will replace lost units with the new version.

The system simply isn't programmed to replace a unit with its exact match to replace losses. It sounds simple but it would be a completely separate, parallel system which doesn't currently exist.

What does seem weird is that you need to have a unit series for every unit in order to do replacements. That sounds weird and might be a bug.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:16:48 AM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #783 on: December 07, 2020, 02:38:03 AM »

Actually the data and logic isn't there, because the replacement system works using series. This is what allows it to for instance replace Rifleman Mk I losses in a formation with upgraded Rifleman Mk II - it won't replace existing Mk I but will replace lost units with the new version.

The system simply isn't programmed to replace a unit with its exact match to replace losses. It sounds simple but it would be a completely separate, parallel system which doesn't currently exist.

What does seem weird is that you need to have a unit series for every unit in order to do replacements. That sounds weird and might be a bug.

I actually have units replaced with same unit with this setup! You just create the serie with tge only unit you have available for that setup.

So I had my occupation forces all mixed in numbers. I have assigned all brigades but 4 to replacement at voila, next cycle all 4 brigades and relative companies were refilled at best of their ability (some engineering units were away drinking in Valhalla) while the units used for refill were left with just few units which I have cpombined into a big reserve brigade.

Now that I know how it works I must say 2 things.

1. I am very satisfied with the mechanic
2. It doesn't work as it was advertised, however, having understood the mechanic behind I know why it is the way it is. It actually allows for even a better management than I originally thought which is a plus.

Probably Steve got just lost into explaining it as it is obvious how it works once you set it up. Maybe the concept of series should go before so that the player understands that it is mandatory otherwise the way it is now you are left to believe that as long as one unit is set as replacement and the other has a template it will magically work.

Then while explaining the series you can introduce the concept of upgrading.

Currently, reading the post they look like 2 different mechanics.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #784 on: December 07, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »
Can orbital mining modules be used to mine from planets and moons? The "manual" only mentions asteroids and comets.

What is the best way to mine from planets and moons that are too costly to colonize, or are just plain uninhabitable? Automines?

Thanks.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #785 on: December 07, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
Can orbital mining modules be used to mine from planets and moons? The "manual" only mentions asteroids and comets.

What is the best way to mine from planets and moons that are too costly to colonize, or are just plain uninhabitable? Automines?

Thanks.

Orbital mining modules have a size limit based on tech - the description talks about asteroids and comets because this is where their max size falls so no you will not be able to mine moons and planets.

As for mining these difficult worlds the expensive option is to build automines. A cheaper option is to use orbital habitats instead which you tow into orbit of the world, allowing you to house a population on that world, irrespective of colony cost.

Once you have an orbital habitat you have two options - forced labour mines which generate unrest and consume population on construction but are cheaper than even normal mines and only require 1/10th the manpower to work or you can be boring and benevolent and use normal mines which will still be cheaper than automines.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:34:20 AM by Droll »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #786 on: December 07, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »

Thanks.

Orbital mining modules have a size limit based on tech - the description talks about asteroids and comets because this is where their max size falls so no you will not be able to mine moons and planets.

As for mining these difficult worlds the expensive option is to build automines. A cheaper option is to use orbital habitats instead which you tow into orbit of the world, allowing you to house a population on that world, irrespective of colony cost.

Once you have an orbital habitat you have two options - forced labour mines which generate unrest and consume population on construction but are cheaper than even normal mines and only require 1/10th the manpower to work or you can be boring and benevolent and use normal mines which will still be cheaper than automines.

Thanks. Didn't think of the orbital habitat route. I'll give that a shot and I'll probably go with the benevolent option.

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #787 on: December 07, 2020, 09:22:27 PM »
What exactly does Fighter Operations Bonus do on naval commanders?
The only thing I can find about this is from Steve in 2007.
Fighter Operations Bonus: Used by carrier commanders. Reduces the time required to rearm and refuel fighters

But I don't think it actually reduces box launcher reload time. So what exactly does it do?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #788 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
What exactly does Fighter Operations Bonus do on naval commanders?
The only thing I can find about this is from Steve in 2007.
Fighter Operations Bonus: Used by carrier commanders. Reduces the time required to rearm and refuel fighters

But I don't think it actually reduces box launcher reload time. So what exactly does it do?

Box Launchers can be reloaded in a hangar, so presumably that reload time is what is being reduced, not the reload time of the launcher itself.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Solar

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #789 on: December 08, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »
Would I spot them?

If I have a picket made of one ship with an active scanner (18 M kms res 100) at a wormhole (intent: watch trafic) and I run my 'turns' with 5 days increment, is it possible that I fail to notice some incoming ship trafic from my fellows Earthlings, if they manage to pass through and move away beyond scanner range during a sub pulse? They are probably all at NTE tech though.

EDIT and more thoughts. 2000 km/s is 7.2 millions km per hour. So I guess with an interval of 5 days, the subpulse is probably 1/10 or 1/12 of that (how many subpulses per pulse by the way?). Meaning I most probably don't see what pass through wormholes, most of the time!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:38:18 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #790 on: December 08, 2020, 04:39:46 AM »
EDIT and more thoughts. 2000 km/s is 7.2 millions km per hour. So I guess with an interval of 5 days, the subpulse is probably 1/10 or 1/12 of that (how many subpulses per pulse by the way?). Meaning I most probably don't see what pass through wormholes, most of the time!

I seem to recall that ships about to move through jump points shorten the current subpulse so that the next one starts right when they show up on the other side, or something along those lines.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #791 on: December 08, 2020, 06:37:14 AM »
Tugs...how do you determine how heavy or how much engine power a tug must have in order to haul a ship or station?

Thanks.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #792 on: December 08, 2020, 07:02:08 AM »
Tugs...how do you determine how heavy or how much engine power a tug must have in order to haul a ship or station?

Thanks.

Its usually a good idea to focus less on engine power and more on the relative size of your tug. If your tug is larger or similar to the target you want to be tugged even if it is slow the overall speed wont be affected as much.
I have 2 types of tugs - one tugs ships and another tugs stations. The one for stations is 300k tons.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
« Reply #793 on: December 08, 2020, 07:38:58 AM »

Thanks.

It's purely in ratio to the mass and speed of each, so no threshold or specific value.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #794 on: December 08, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »

Thanks.

Pretty straightforward, the formula for tugging speed is total tug EP divided by total mass of the tug and station, times 1000 km/s. Since you're the one building stations, you get to choose the mass. So you decide how fast or slow you want it to move when tugged and then design a tug to reach that speed.

A bit trickier is making sure you have the right fuel range on your tug, since the engines will always burn X amount of fuel per hour but when tugging a heavy station the speed will be much less for the same EP, thus range will be less than displayed in the class window by a factor of (mass_of_tug) / (mass_of_tug + mass_of_station). So if you are planning to tug stations up to 250,000 tons and build a tug of 50,000 tons, you need to design a tug with about 6x as much range as you actually want to be able to tug the station for (technically you can probably get away with 3x or 4x, since the tug will only tug the station one way and can travel back to base with much less fuel usage).