Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361827 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3090 on: October 26, 2022, 08:25:49 PM »
Hello all! Starting new on v1.13.0 and running into a problem setting support.

Why? We have versions 2.0+ now and they are much better.

I'm wondering if HQ unit capacity is messing stuff up?

Yes. The "smart" click+drag will by default set a formation as the subordinate of the formation it is dragged onto, if the latter formation has a larger HQ capacity.

You are probably better off giving up on high-detail OOB modeling (frankly, Aurora does not model well smaller than battalion level, and frankly regiment/brigade level should be the standard) and having your artillery companies grouped together into a single formation that supports a single formation. It makes no real difference in battlefield impact on average, except that the larger bombardment element may help you get more breakthroughs.

EDIT: 2nd Unrelated Question, is there a way to remove the name of the day of the week from the Completion Date field on the research window? It often cuts off the day of the month and year from when the research will be done.

You need to change the date/time format of your operating system, as this is what Aurora uses (since Aurora uses the C# date and time functions).

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3091 on: October 27, 2022, 06:16:52 AM »
Thanks for the answers!

Hello all! Starting new on v1.13.0 and running into a problem setting support.

Why? We have versions 2.0+ now and they are much better.

Honestly, I didn't even realize! I downloaded the full installation, and I guess I just glazed over the 2.x patch threads assuming they were just change discussions for upcoming patches. Guess I'm starting over!

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #3092 on: November 04, 2022, 01:00:50 PM »
Can Static artillery provide support?  I have a regiment set up as follows:

HQ (Rear Echelon)
   Tank Battalion
   Infantry Battalion
   Heavy Artillery Battalion (Rear Echelon)

All Battalions have integrated infantry logistics units (included in the tonnage) to ensure they don't run out of supplies. 

The tank battalion is 10Kt, split between heavy and medium vehicles
The Infantry battalion is also 10Kt, mostly PW but with a mix of specialty units.
The field artillery is 5Kt, static heavy bombardment units plus a static HQ bunker. 

I want the artillery to support the infantry.  If I drag and drop the artillery onto the infantry it moves the artillery under the infantry within the hierarchy.  Whereas if I drag the infantry onto the artillery it seems to be setting the infantry's light bombardment units to support the artillery unit. 

Can I not use static heavy bombardment units for support?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3093 on: November 04, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »
I want the artillery to support the infantry.  If I drag and drop the artillery onto the infantry it moves the artillery under the infantry within the hierarchy.  Whereas if I drag the infantry onto the artillery it seems to be setting the infantry's light bombardment units to support the artillery unit. 

If the artillery formation has a similar or smaller HQ command size as the infantry, the "smart" click+drag system will assign it as a subordinate rather than as a supporting formation, because the "smart" system is ignorant about whether or not a formation is meant as artillery support. The solution is to either make your artillery formations the same size or larger than what your infantry HQs can control, or to make the artillery part of a higher-level HQ formation.

Most often this happens when people are trying to have one (smaller) artillery formation to support each (larger) infantry formation. E.g., 1,000-ton artillery companies supporting 5,000-ton infantry battalions. Don't bother with this, as mechanically it won't make a difference if your artillery "companies" are grouped into a battalion of the same size and only support one infantry battalion. Aurora is just not suitable for detailed OOB modeling at the scale of planetary invasion ground combat.

The following users thanked this post: bankshot

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #3094 on: November 04, 2022, 02:58:30 PM »
That's the issue.  The infantry HQ supports 10K, and the artillery HQ only supports 5K.  My transports held 25K, so I set regimental sizes as 10K for infantry/tanks, 4K for artillery, and 1K for HQ.  If I add a spare infantry HQ unit to the artillery I can then assign support as normal. 

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3095 on: November 04, 2022, 10:47:13 PM »
 --- Whoa. How long has this been a thing!? If it's a bug I don't want it fixed, this is awesome!

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3096 on: November 05, 2022, 05:04:12 AM »

If the artillery formation has a similar or smaller HQ command size as the infantry, the "smart" click+drag system will assign it as a subordinate rather than as a supporting formation, because the "smart" system is ignorant about whether or not a formation is meant as artillery support. The solution is to either make your artillery formations the same size or larger than what your infantry HQs can control, or to make the artillery part of a higher-level HQ formation.

Most often this happens when people are trying to have one (smaller) artillery formation to support each (larger) infantry formation. E.g., 1,000-ton artillery companies supporting 5,000-ton infantry battalions. Don't bother with this, as mechanically it won't make a difference if your artillery "companies" are grouped into a battalion of the same size and only support one infantry battalion. Aurora is just not suitable for detailed OOB modeling at the scale of planetary invasion ground combat.

That being said, you can have smaller artillery companies supporting larger formations as long as they have the same size HQ, as I have done in the past - though the cost of the HQ might be substantial compared to just using larger artillery formations as mentioned.

The following users thanked this post: bankshot

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #3097 on: November 07, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »
Yep, I worked around it by adding an infantry HQ to the artillery formation.  I may make the next set of formations 8K/8K/8K instead of 10K/10K/4K.  But either way I'll know to size the artillery HQ the same as the Infantry HQ. 

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3098 on: November 07, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
Personally, I create three base formations of ground forces: Infantry, Armour and Artillery. These all have the same HQ size of 15k; 10k for the base unit and 5k for a support unit, if any. If extra capability is necessary (engineers, tank destroyers, STO weaponry; whatever), then I make a formation half the size of the base units and assign it under them.

The way targetting seems to work, it doesn't really matter who a formation is supporting. As long as it is supporting someone it will shoot at "the enemy", whom may not necessarily be who the supported formation is attacking. This seems to suit orbital ground support mechanics as well.

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #3099 on: November 15, 2022, 06:00:52 AM »
Here I am again, still having issues with commanders.

I ran into a problem in my last game with the new C "autopromote" routine not filling up all the ranks.  It was suggested to me, to change my naval organization to make sure that there was an Admin level for each tier of rank; I did, and it solved the problem.

I've started a new game, and I find myself having the same issue.  This time, my admin ranks are already "in a row", so to speak (I have one run by a CDR, one by a CAPT, 1 by RADL, RADM, VADM, and ADM), but there aren't nearly enough people getting promoted to fill them, nor all of the available spaces on my ships.  Of the 300 officers I have total, 280 of them are LCDRs, but I need at least 60 CDR/CPT/or higher to staff all of my assorted admin commands and ship modules.

What's going on this time?  I don't want to have to manually promote dozens of people every time I make a new fleet :(

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3100 on: November 15, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »

I ran into a problem in my last game with the new C "autopromote" routine not filling up all the ranks.  It was suggested to me, to change my naval organization to make sure that there was an Admin level for each tier of rank; I did, and it solved the problem.

I've started a new game, and I find myself having the same issue.  This time, my admin ranks are already "in a row", so to speak (I have one run by a CDR, one by a CAPT, 1 by RADL, RADM, VADM, and ADM), but there aren't nearly enough people getting promoted to fill them, nor all of the available spaces on my ships.  Of the 300 officers I have total, 280 of them are LCDRs, but I need at least 60 CDR/CPT/or higher to staff all of my assorted admin commands and ship modules.

What's going on this time?  I don't want to have to manually promote dozens of people every time I make a new fleet :(
I think a person can only get promoted if it has been a year since their last promotion. Additionally, they will only ever get promoted by 1 rank at a time
 So if you add 30 captain slots, but have less than 30 commanders, not all the captain slots will get filled, for example

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3101 on: November 15, 2022, 10:49:20 AM »

I think a person can only get promoted if it has been a year since their last promotion. Additionally, they will only ever get promoted by 1 rank at a time
 So if you add 30 captain slots, but have less than 30 commanders, not all the captain slots will get filled, for example

In addition to this, commanders will only auto-promote if they are suitable for a role at the new rank. If, for sake of example, you have a CAPT vacancy which requires logistics skill, but all of your CDRs are commanding warships and have crew training, reaction, and tactical skills, then there may not be a suitable CDR to promote into that vacancy.

I suspect the one-promotion-per-year rule is doing most of the damage here, but I just wanted to mention another possible factor. At the start of the game, you already have a range of promoted officers, so I would generally recommend that if you want to avoid a lot of manual promotions you should stick with these officers (and auto-rename as desired) instead of replacing them wholesale with a crop of LCDRs.

And FWIW, I usually still handle some or all the start-of-game assignments manually. The auto-assignment system works well when filling a few vacancies at a time, but when filling all at once it can make some mistakes, such as putting commanders with combat and economic skills in charge of combat ships when the economic skills are rarer and needed for transports, mining stations, etc. So some micro may still be required in the initial setup.

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #3102 on: November 15, 2022, 01:33:02 PM »
Am I blind or is there no way to hide comet names?

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #3103 on: November 16, 2022, 10:49:59 PM »
Does anyone else have fleets fall out of orbit on a regular basis? never had that issue in previously versions.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3104 on: November 20, 2022, 05:56:50 AM »
Does anyone else have fleets fall out of orbit on a regular basis? never had that issue in previously versions.

It happened once or twice in my most recent game, but I couldn’t figure out how to reproduce it.