Author Topic: Ground Combat - Need help  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Kaiser (OP)

• Commander
  • K
Ground Combat - Need help
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:05:52 AM »
Hi guys, I need your help to conquer an alien planet.
I understood the ground combat mechanics at very basica level, it is my first ground combat ever in Aurora, there are still a lot of obscure points.
I want conquer the planet intact, so I am not using orbital bombardment or something, I have already sent a lot of ground units, but I destroyed only about 200 elements while I lost thousand and thousand.

According the intelligence, the enemy seems to have:
1242 Centurion
104 Praetorian Combat Mech
58 Decurion AA Mech
13 Construction Vehicle
30 Artilley
6 Praetorian Leader
12 STO
8 STO-PD
100 resupply infantry
157 resupply vehicle.

I can provide you with the specific for each element if It can be useful, however they are a mix of medium vehicle and infantry, I suspect the Mech are the strongest here.

I have developed most of the ground tech and researched tank, artillery and infantry but I can't destroy the enemy.
I have at my disposal, 6 Assault ships, with 10000t orbital drop ground unit each, so I can transport 60000t to the enemy planet.

How would you procede? How would you organize your forces?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Ground Combat - Need help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
Is their weapon tech higher than your armour tech? Is your weapon tech higher than their armour tech? That has a significant impact on force composition.

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 10:10:10 AM »
Maybe some info in this post can help:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11691

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
You also need to check the planetary terrain, I once wanted to dislodge Precursor forces from venusian mountainous world, that was very painful. You want specialized troops if there are some terrain or other modifiers in play. They are also most likely fortified, so you have lesser chance to hit them. Also the reported numbers are most likely lower that the reality. There may be twice that is reported.

You need to keep an eye on your supplies if your units are low on supplies you are screwed.

I usually deploy around 250000 tons of mixed troops to deal with Precursor outposts and some of my formations still get quite mauled. That is with technologies with cost around 30k points.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser