Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 105445 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2100 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:53 AM »
Is there an easy way (I guess not) for Steve to add a kind of "preserve orders" functionality? Idea is automation. With any resupply/refuel ship you basically have to join the target fleet and let the internal function of the now-sub-fleet refuel the main fleet. However when the target fleet is filled up one can only manually remove that sub-fleet and set up new orders to continue. So if it could be possible to "preserve orders" when a fleet goes "sub-fleet" and automatically detaches when their internal function is fulfilled and those orders would "reappear" in that new born fleet... it would help with some automations and easy micromanagement.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2101 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »
I See and agree that this could go to levels of exploitation. The idea was to have a finer degree between military and civilian - not this abrupt "arbitrary" line at size 25 / engine modifier 0.5x. It would be interesting to see how small maintenance would get if all engines would be military. Is there an option to switch the calculations to all engines being military? I don't think so... well, will take a look into how this all is calculated (oh dear, what am I putting myself into here  ;D ::) ).

There is not an option, but you can easily make all ships military simply by mounting a non-commercial component on every ship. 55-ton sensors, compact ECM, non-CIWS defensive weapons, size-1 box launchers loaded with a "distress beacon" or "courier drone", small defensive shield generators... lots of possibilities. It's important to remember that the engines are really only one part of what defines a "commercial ship".

Personally I do not find it a problem. It is not difficult IMO to say that "commercial" designations are those which the government has said that civilian contractors can service in a maintenance dock, and "military-grade" technology must be serviced by military service docks, for example.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2102 on: Yesterday at 05:02:38 AM »
An idea for a multiplayer setup.

ATM we can't send the aurora DB around because even with a password everyone could simply look into the DB to see anything or just remove the password to be able to see all. We could prevent this if we could get an option for Aurora to be able to open a DB on an online drive. It should not be possible to download that DB via the link; but if we could let Aurora open that online DB it would make Multiplayer Games a bit more accessible.

If all players are set up with a password no one could look into what the others are doing and the SpaceMaster could make the DB available to the players so in case they want to or have to do something they could do it in the online DB. It would be nice if the time progression buttons would be disabled when an online DB is accessed so no one accidentally progresses time. Once all players have done their changes the SpaceMaster can continue time progression.

Don't know where such files could be uploaded that no one could download them except the Aurora-Program... . Also if multiple players would want to edit their empires they would need to coordinate so only one player at a time is editing his empire and no data will be lost.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2103 on: Yesterday at 11:33:22 AM »
The biggest issue with that is likely dealing with concurrent access to the DB.  Time progression is not necessarily the only issue there.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2104 on: Yesterday at 11:37:32 AM »
It's not a bad suggestion, but I want to point out that this would essentially require Steve to code multiplayer code (painful) and put together some kind of Aurora server to host these remote-access DBs (painful + $$$), so I highly doubt any kind of multiplayer functionality would happen even though it would be really cool.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2105 on: Yesterday at 11:48:35 AM »
As far as I can oversee this, the functionality Steve would need to add is a) the blocking of the time progression if the DB comes from a server and b) some kind of remote access to a DB that is not in the game folder but rather on some kind of web address. I originally thought that anyone could host the file for example on google drive - but it is not possible to block downloads from there. But maybe there are other services that could host that file but make it so that it can only be accessed by a private Aurora User and therefore keep it from being downloaded (and spied upon).

For anything else the players are responsible - meaning - only one player at a time. Otherwise: data garbage.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2106 on: Today at 04:10:56 AM »
We need that asteroid  ;D