Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365688 times)

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #960 on: December 30, 2020, 10:39:27 AM »
Thats how i would make an Orbital Weapons Platform. I just didnt know if i could put fighters on it instead of missiles and CIWS.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #961 on: December 30, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Stupid question: But can you put fighters on an spacestation, park it somewhere, and then launch fighters from it? Reason i havent tried it is i dont want to spend forever designing, building, and deploying it, only for it to not work at all.

You can either use the civilian hangers TheTalkingMeowth suggested, but these are not perfect if you want to station it somewhere. The problem is that the maintenance clock and the deployment clock will run for vessels inside one of those. This is especially problematic for fighters without a long deployment time. If you need a fighter force somewhere in deep space, you should consider building a station with maintenance facilities and a recreational module. This is a significantly larger investment, but allows fleet operations far away from a population.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #962 on: December 30, 2020, 11:27:05 AM »
Why aren't civilians spawning? I've colonized Mars, Mercury and all the terrestrial moons yet no civilian colony ships or freighters have spawned.

There was a civilian company at the beginning of the game in my naval admin menu with no ships that I deleted. Is that the problem?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #963 on: December 30, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »
Yeah. No shipping line, no civilian ships.

Not sure if an existing line is a requirement for another to spawn, however. New lines randomly pop up over time. May take a decade.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #964 on: December 30, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
Stupid question: But can you put fighters on an spacestation, park it somewhere, and then launch fighters from it? Reason i havent tried it is i dont want to spend forever designing, building, and deploying it, only for it to not work at all.

You can either use the civilian hangers TheTalkingMeowth suggested, but these are not perfect if you want to station it somewhere. The problem is that the maintenance clock and the deployment clock will run for vessels inside one of those. This is especially problematic for fighters without a long deployment time. If you need a fighter force somewhere in deep space, you should consider building a station with maintenance facilities and a recreational module. This is a significantly larger investment, but allows fleet operations far away from a population.

I mean i dont need it. I just want to see if i could do it. But yeah thats good advice. Thanks.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #965 on: December 30, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Here go a few questions of my own due to a minor pest problem.

Long story short: I found this beautiful and nearly habitable planet in a system not too far away. It is called Bespin B-III and could house 10 billion colonists. The EM and thermal sensors indicated that there was no civilian population on the planet and the C.O. of the science vessel was already dreaming of the promotion he would receive for finding this world. A few seconds later the crew identified active sensors on the surface of the planet and was hit by 20 shots of ground fire worth 13 damage each at the range of 150k km.

Now I am building a bombardment force to destroy the STO section and ground forces to land against what I believe are Precursor - They have the race picture the precursors had last time at least -.

This will give me the chance to do my first combat drop in C# and I would like to bring air support for my very likely outmatched ground forces. So how does it work? Which technologies affect the pod damage? Which pods should I bring? Can I use my old fighters from when my colonies asked for PPV? They bring 2 10cm railguns after all.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #966 on: December 30, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
Yeah. No shipping line, no civilian ships.

Not sure if an existing line is a requirement for another to spawn, however. New lines randomly pop up over time. May take a decade.

Can you spawn one via the SM?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #967 on: December 30, 2020, 11:56:22 AM »

Long story short: I found this beautiful and nearly habitable planet in a system not too far away. It is called Bespin B-III and could house 10 billion colonists. The EM and thermal sensors indicated that there was no civilian population on the planet and the C.O. of the science vessel was already dreaming of the promotion he would receive for finding this world. A few seconds later the crew identified active sensors on the surface of the planet and was hit by 20 shots of ground fire worth 13 damage each at the range of 150k km.

Now I am building a bombardment force to destroy the STO section and ground forces to land against what I believe are Precursor - They have the race picture the precursors had last time at least -.

This will give me the chance to do my first combat drop in C# and I would like to bring air support for my very likely outmatched ground forces. So how does it work? Which technologies affect the pod damage? Which pods should I bring? Can I use my old fighters from when my colonies asked for PPV? They bring 2 10cm railguns after all.

Air support isn't terribly effective, but you can get a complete rules summary here:

Ground support fighter rules:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109886#msg109886

Fighter pods:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109885#msg109885

Ground based AA:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109914#msg109914

Note that ground support fighters can be targeted by STO weapons and so will probably get slaughtered (this is a bug).

The following users thanked this post: kilo

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #968 on: December 30, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »

Air support isn't terribly effective, but you can get a complete rules summary here:

Ground support fighter rules:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109886#msg109886

Fighter pods:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109885#msg109885

Ground based AA:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109914#msg109914

Note that ground support fighters can be targeted by STO weapons and so will probably get slaughtered (this is a bug).

CAS is not worth your time purely on the time you have to spent to get it working through the UI. You need to assign each individual fighter to a ground unit with FFD and each FFD can take 6. Even with only 42 fighters it took me ages to get them set up. There is also the issue that if you have too many fighters you have to split them into wings and go wing-by-wing, otherwise you wont be able to reach the fighters on the bottom to drag them to their formation.

CAS damage isn't actually terrible but even without the STO bug AA is incredibly strong. Spoiler AA was taking out fighters with 4 layers of armor in a single attack.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #969 on: December 30, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
How do you heat up planets quicker? I've pumped Mars full of Aestusium to the point its .7 ATM, but somehow the temperature factor got worse and my colonists are dying. At this rate I'll have to exceed max pressure tolerances filling up the planet with enough Aestusium...

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #970 on: December 30, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
Sure it's Aestusium, not Frigusium?

My Mars:

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #971 on: December 30, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
Yeah, turns out I was looking at base temperature instead of surface temperature, so Mars was hot as an oven.

A related question; do Greenhouse Gases dissipate over time? I think I remember in past games where planets I thought were terraformed lost their greenhouse gasses resulting in insufficient atmosphere pressure.

Also, does accuracy apply to every shot a weapon makes or just every volley? For instance, will a Gauss cannon shooting 3 rounds with 25% accuracy have a sperate 25% chance to hit with each one of those rounds?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:40:47 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #972 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
Yeah, turns out I was looking at base temperature instead of surface temperature, so Mars was hot as an oven.

A related question; do Greenhouse Gases dissipate over time? I think I remember in past games where planets I thought were terraformed lost their greenhouse gasses resulting in insufficient atmosphere pressure.

Too low gravity causes that.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #973 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »

There is a "retains atmosphere" stat for each body, but I haven't seen any atmosphere dissipate away yet from my bodies that don't have it.

Also, does accuracy apply to every shot a weapon makes or just every volley? For instance, will a Gauss cannon shooting 3 rounds with 25% accuracy have a sperate 25% chance to hit with each one of those rounds?

Every shot seperately.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #974 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:23 PM »
They do not, the only limitation is that System Bodies with gravity of less than 0.1G cannot retain atmosphere and therefore cannot be terraformed.

You can check the terraforming update section for further information on the topic.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg102115#msg102115

On the wiki the full terraforming details instead.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Terraforming#Atmospheric_Gases