Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365729 times)

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1005 on: January 05, 2021, 06:22:04 AM »
Is there a definitive list of what type of vessels should be placed in the different types of Admin Commands.

This is because I am unsure of what type of Command to create for Tugs , Terraformers , Jump Stabilizers , etc ( even Colony Ships )

DavidR 

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1006 on: January 05, 2021, 06:43:14 AM »
colony ships load and unload, so logistics, terraformers and stabilizers are affected by industry afaik. Tugs don't care, unless they're military and may suffer from maintenance failures, in which case something with engineering could have an effect.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1007 on: January 05, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
colony ships load and unload, so logistics, terraformers and stabilizers are affected by industry afaik. Tugs don't care, unless they're military and may suffer from maintenance failures, in which case something with engineering could have an effect.

Industry is a bit weird, in that there are mutiple commander bonuses that count as industry. Mining is an industry bonus but will only benefit miners and fuel harvesters, terraforming only benefits terraformers, production affects jump stabilizers. So you really want separate industry commands for each type of industry module.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1008 on: January 05, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
Can parasites be resupplied with MSP, while being in a hangar? My beam fighters would like to load a dozen of MSPs each before they have their next engagement in 2 hours. Otherwise they will have a hard time fixing their guns after the next malfunction.

Slightly related: Do supply ships in space need a cargo shuttle bay to transfer MSP or how is it done? There is no transfer module for this type of military good after all.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:30:12 AM by kilo »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #1009 on: January 05, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Can parasites be resupplied with MSP, while in being hangar? My beam fighters would like to load a dozen of MSPs each before they have their next engagement in 2 hours. Otherwise they will have a hard time fixing their guns after the next malfunction.

Slightly related: Do supply ships in space need a cargo shuttle bay to transfer MSP or how is it done? There is no transfer module for this type of military good after all.

Not sure about the hangars resupplying MSP.

In space transfer of MSP is done via cargo shuttle bays.

The following users thanked this post: kilo

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1010 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »
Good to know. This means I will have to redesign my beam fighters so that they can carry more MSPs. Not a big deal, but I bet quite a few enemy freighters will make it through now. This design flaw will limit the tonnage my first sub can destroy to about 145000 tons. This is still a good return for an investment of 550 BP in shipping, <50 tons of sorium and <100 MSP consumed.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1011 on: January 05, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
This means I will have to redesign my beam fighters so that they can carry more MSPs.

No you don't. Just flag your Carrier as Supply Ship and add a Cargo Shuttle Bay and you'll be able to resupply your fighters without problem.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1012 on: January 05, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
Good to know. This means I will have to redesign my beam fighters so that they can carry more MSPs. Not a big deal, but I bet quite a few enemy freighters will make it through now. This design flaw will limit the tonnage my first sub can destroy to about 145000 tons. This is still a good return for an investment of 550 BP in shipping, <50 tons of sorium and <100 MSP consumed.

The good news is that in 1.13 military hangars will automatically resupply MSP to fighters, just not in this version.

Offline Potat999

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #1013 on: January 05, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »
When using SM to create a system, is there any way to control it's distance (LY) to other systems?  What determines the new system's position - is it at a random position, or added on to the end of the list at the edge of the map, or what? 

I'm imagining a two or three PR playthrough where the PRs start at 25-50 LY spacing so they will not bump into each other for some time, without me knowing in advance exactly how many jumps apart they are.

Would the best way to create two PRs at some spacing be to just SM explore out along a random chain until I am 'far enough', create the new race, and then SM 'unexplore' (?delete the exploring race), and just wait a bit until I forget the chain?  I suppose this method still has some suspense, because my random path between them may not have been the only one, or the shortest one. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1014 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:44 PM »
When using SM to create a system, is there any way to control it's distance (LY) to other systems?  What determines the new system's position - is it at a random position, or added on to the end of the list at the edge of the map, or what? 

I'm imagining a two or three PR playthrough where the PRs start at 25-50 LY spacing so they will not bump into each other for some time, without me knowing in advance exactly how many jumps apart they are.

Would the best way to create two PRs at some spacing be to just SM explore out along a random chain until I am 'far enough', create the new race, and then SM 'unexplore' (?delete the exploring race), and just wait a bit until I forget the chain?  I suppose this method still has some suspense, because my random path between them may not have been the only one, or the shortest one.

Aurora has no concept of physical distances between stars, so this isn't exactly possible. If you are using real stars, I believe when you create a new system it lets you choose from a list of stars, so you can choose two stars that are, say, 40 and 80 LY from Sol and this is the closest you would get to having them be 40 LY apart. If you are not using real stars then you will have to generate a couple systems and hope they don't link up too quickly.

The following users thanked this post: Potat999

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1015 on: January 05, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »

For real stars games, each star's position in physical (real) space is tracked using celestial coordinates converted into XYZ coordinates. When you explore a new jump point without an existing connection, a list of stars is created ordered by distance in physical 3D space. The program cycles through each one with a 20% chance until one is selected for the link. For 10% of jump point explorations, the chance is reduced to 5% to allow the occasional long connection.

If you want to know the star positions, their 3D coordinates are in the DIM_KnownSystems table. X, Y and Z are in light years with Sol being 0,0,0.

When you create a system to generate in real stars games (using SM Mode), you can choose which real star system to create, so you can place races a long way apart if desired. You can't do this in a random stars game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:27:15 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Potat999

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1016 on: January 05, 2021, 08:10:55 PM »
Does Water Vapor evaporate over time? And how does atmosphere density effect temperature? Everyone is dying on Mars cuz Oxygen is more than 30% due to water vapor disappearing and its hot as a furnace on Luna cuz there is too much atmosphere.

So as a rule of thumb, should you blanket the planet with 1 atm of nitrogen first to make temperature alterations more effective and keep oxygen from making up too much of the atmosphere?

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1017 on: January 05, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »
Does Water Vapor evaporate over time? And how does atmosphere density effect temperature? Everyone is dying on Mars cuz Oxygen is more than 30% due to water vapor disappearing and its hot as a furnace on Luna cuz there is too much atmosphere.

So as a rule of thumb, should you blanket the planet with 1 atm of nitrogen first to make temperature alterations more effective and keep oxygen from making up too much of the atmosphere?
For worlds below freezing like Mars, I add water vapor until the hydrosphere is above 20%; the requirement for 0 col cost.  Then I add 0.11atm of oxygen, the minimum for breathability plus a little extra just for safety.  Then I add aestium until the temperature is right.  If I still need pressure, I then add nitrogen, stopping once oxygen is below 30% concentration.  This works on most frozen worlds.  Some are too cold for complete terraforming to be possible; they take more than 4atm of aestium to warm up to habitable levels.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1018 on: January 05, 2021, 11:53:09 PM »
Probably a dumb question but can i put an orbital mining module on a ship and still have engines? Wanting to basically recreate the ship from Deadspace...w/out the cult.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1019 on: January 05, 2021, 11:58:29 PM »
Yeah, you can totally have mobile mining ships.