Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365804 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1470 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
snip

What if I want to roleplay a Communist planned economy, though? I'd like the option to turn civilian mining off. I tried to remove them as they popped but I've kinda relented after it became too much micro.

Place an (empty) colony on every body with at least 10,000 tons of 0.7+ accessibility duranium and/or gallicite, and no CMCs can spawn. Way easier than deleting them because they will keep popping up on the same bodies repeatedly, but CMCs will never spawn on a body you've colonized even if the "colony" is a cocktail flag stuck in a stale brownie from the mess hall of a passing survey ship.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #1471 on: February 23, 2021, 11:25:59 PM »
I tried that in Sol and it clogs up my movement orders list to a very unpleasant degree.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1472 on: February 23, 2021, 11:48:14 PM »
The easier fix to simulate this is to SM remove the Duranium. Less clogging up :)

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #1473 on: February 24, 2021, 02:37:59 AM »
Just rename them to something else that fits your theme better.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1474 on: February 24, 2021, 03:48:40 AM »
snip

What if I want to roleplay a Communist planned economy, though? I'd like the option to turn civilian mining off. I tried to remove them as they popped but I've kinda relented after it became too much micro.

Problem is that even Communists, even the most extreme ones still have "civilian" enterprises to a high degree (just in a very different nature). You probably would have to play a hive mind or something to completely remove civilian free enterprise. Don't underestimate the power of free will, history are plenty of evidence that free will of the individual will prevail in the end, especially in groups of people where ideas and ideologies rarely are something people will ever completely agree upon.

I have no problem with allowing civilian mining in my communistic type governments in my play through, civilian mining is almost always a benefit and rarely a drawback from the economy at large. Even in a communist government you will never find perfect consensus and rich oligarchs will run their own private enterprises that no one can really prevent as they wield too much political power for anyone to do much about it, they just either pay people to shut up or shut them up permanently...  ;) ...this means that civilian companies are basically rich powerful families or people who wield enough political power to practically do whatever they want.

In general you probably would have LESS control over your empire in an authoritarian government as the people in power have to constantly struggle with internal power for control. Law is applied in political power and money and is not as strong as in more liberal government forms. This is why such governments have so much corruption and internal instability.

I'm not against there being a way to restrict civilian mining operations, options is always good. But I don't think human type of authoritarian government is a good reason for it. Even a democratic government cold restrict a system from civilian operation because of some specific reason too, probably even easier than an authoritarian government to be honest if the reasons are good enough.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:52:27 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1475 on: February 24, 2021, 07:09:20 AM »
I would be more interested in allowing mining in systems I don't settle in... . Why should civilians be restricted to only system you settle in on your own? As long as there is a stabilised JP why shouldn't they be allowed to mine what is there? Though I don't want them to spread anywhere... military restriction flag does that but does not allow them to mine in a system I haven't settled in... .

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1476 on: February 24, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »
I would be more interested in allowing mining in systems I don't settle in... . Why should civilians be restricted to only system you settle in on your own? As long as there is a stabilised JP why shouldn't they be allowed to mine what is there? Though I don't want them to spread anywhere... military restriction flag does that but does not allow them to mine in a system I haven't settled in... .

In that case I don't see why we would allow it, they just should automatically do it. We could perhaps restrict them from NOT doing it if we so are inclined to. The question then just is how far from any one specific colony could civilian enterprises open up. Perhaps it should be more of a soft limit, such as the further distance from the nearest colony the less likely there is for a CMC to open up. The chance could also be modified by your overall engine technology. The higher the engine tech the more likely a CMC is to spawn in a more distant system.

If there are no colonies in the same system then perhaps civilian ships need to visit there once in a while too in order to abstractly fetch the minerals to any of your colonies.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:21:09 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1477 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
They could be allowed to build CMCs in systems they fly through visiting your colonies.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #1478 on: February 25, 2021, 01:30:06 AM »
They could be allowed to build CMCs in systems they fly through visiting your colonies.

That is actually a decent idea.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1479 on: February 25, 2021, 05:10:11 AM »
I have no problem with allowing civilian mining in my communistic type governments in my play through...

You don't - some clearly do. I don't see why you are so adamant on limiting people's choices here. It's not like adding the option to stop civies from mining a certain world doesn't already exist. Maybe I want to RP true ideological communism - or maybe I want to RP a hivemind. More importantly - adding that option does not limit the way you want to RP.

I personally care more about having the ability to toggle civilian mines on/off in game settings as I really hate how civilian mines clutter up the menu in the misc tab when I'm teleporting empty fleets around.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1480 on: February 25, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
I have no problem with allowing civilian mining in my communistic type governments in my play through...

You don't - some clearly do. I don't see why you are so adamant on limiting people's choices here. It's not like adding the option to stop civies from mining a certain world doesn't already exist. Maybe I want to RP true ideological communism - or maybe I want to RP a hivemind. More importantly - adding that option does not limit the way you want to RP.

I personally care more about having the ability to toggle civilian mines on/off in game settings as I really hate how civilian mines clutter up the menu in the misc tab when I'm teleporting empty fleets around.

Quoted from the same post...   ???

I'm not against there being a way to restrict civilian mining operations, options is always good. But I don't think human type of authoritarian government is a good reason for it. Even a democratic government cold restrict a system from civilian operation because of some specific reason too, probably even easier than an authoritarian government to be honest if the reasons are good enough.

What I said is that perfect communistic ideologies with no corruption or favouritism could never exist as long as we have free will, that is all that I said. The only way you can get this perfect utopia is by some form of hive mind system. I literally said that in my post. Any human government form could restrict a system from civilian operations... how successful would depend but that should be a player decision as the game is meant to be RP driven.

I simply was not convinced by the argument but did not think the idea was a bad one.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:58:42 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1481 on: February 25, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
On the CMC discussion  - don't know squat about programming, but from a gameplay standpoint I don't see anything game breaking in giving the option to disable CMC activity at game start.

But personal opinion about how it stands at the moment - Concerning the Communist/Hive Mind role play, I could see it as still fitting the scope as is. Communism is well known for creating a grey/black market among it's populace. It's the Authoritarian's job to then direct their forces to systematically stomp out the 'criminals' as they make themselves known. Thus requiring more intense micro to maintain this form of government, as history suggests.  A pain in the ass, but seems appropriate to the role play.

Same sort of issue with a Hive Mind. Comes to mind I don't recall reading any books with this theme - But it seems a logical step that even with a 'Hive Mind' species there are still going to be genetic variations amongst the billions of individuals. Some will splinter off and perhaps have some sort of criminal free will they try to hide but can't stop haring off to do something not approved. Requiring the Boss of the Hive to stamp them out as they appear to keep the species on track or whatever. 

But yeah, it's a pain in the ass. Admittedly would be more enjoyable if there was an actual mechanic to handle this - still requiring some micro, but not at the scope it currently is. Some sort of abstract Security Force that you had to fund to at a certain % based on empire size to quell independent operators.  But that seems a lot of work for a mechanic that would only apply to a few types of role play.

As for CMC appearing ion non-colony systems  - I'm probably one of the  more 'passive' players, in that I take what Steve gives me and wrap a story around that, rather than create a story and force Steve's work to fit in to my plans. I'm sure it's a 'time in service' thing. I'm relatively inexperienced and not bored yet with 'vanilla'. So I understand this may sound naïve and is not a 'solution' - just how I play it out in my head. But I see it as a 'Space is big and empty and scary' theme. If I was an independent operator and was setting out to start a CMC, I would always choose a less profitable spot if it was in an already colonized system. So much less dangerous. Do I really want to be the only dozen human beings within light years?  Or do I set up shop in the next system over for 20% less profits but a hell of lot more safe. I'm not starting a CMC  unless there is a local gov't to bail my ass out if I spring an oxy leak. Or the bigger one in my head - Protect me from the Pirates. I see this as how Steve avoided that mess of programming abstract pirate activity by limiting CMC's to 'safe' systems with a local gov't. By definition, any real colony requires PPV - which scares away the outlaws.  Even low quality Security Forces (ground units) to supress PPV the other way still implies enough attention to securiuty in the system to dissuade the criminal element.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1482 on: February 25, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
 - The option to turn CMCs off is something I'd like, if only because I find them annoying sometimes... Other times I'd like to simulate that the empire just, "hasn't gotten there" yet, as in I don't feel my empire has an RP justification for letting civilians out into the wider universe... be that Sol or five jumps from it. So the option to turn it back on again mid-game would be nice too.

- I'm against having control over them when they're on though. Hive Minds & Communists would, as Jorgen pointed out, and Kylemmie elaborated on, still have some degree of "freedom", but potentially very different views on it. So... set them to hostile and send in the Spahess Mahreens. ;D

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #1483 on: February 26, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »
Hiya! How do you give a ground unit multiple capabilities (for instance temperature and gravity tolerance)?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1484 on: February 26, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Hiya! How do you give a ground unit multiple capabilities (for instance temperature and gravity tolerance)?

Shift click or control click

The following users thanked this post: Caesar