Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365723 times)

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1575 on: March 26, 2021, 06:52:34 AM »
It does not help me a lot... but thanks!! :D

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1576 on: March 26, 2021, 12:57:29 PM »
- So how do we set formations to direct support? The drag and drop method just assigns them as subordinates if their size is smaller than the biggest HQ of the formation I want them to support, which makes dividing up my Medium AA and Bombardment a real pain. On the other hand, f I combine them, and they are bigger than the biggest HQ of the formation I want them to support, the game yells at me and says I can't do that.

- What do? ???

The drag/drop should work if the two formations have the same HQ size, or if the supporting formation HQ is larger than/superior to the HQ of the supported formation. It will not work if you want to have a supporting formation with a smaller HQ support a formation with a larger HQ. Also both formations must be in the same HQ hierarchy in order to have a support relationship. You can't assign "loose" formations to support each other.

In your case it sounds like you need to put the (smaller) front line formation and the (larger) support formation under the same superior HQ and then drag the support formation to the front-line formation. Alternatively you could retool the support formation to act as a superior HQ, and then it can support its subordinates with no problem.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1577 on: March 26, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
I'm trying to make a design capable to be built in a shipyard that has retooled to a previous design. What is the formule to achieve it?

I have tried many things, but none of them seems to work. To be more clear, I want to build a colony ship using the same shipyard I used to build a light freighter.

Thanks!

For a ship to be built out a shipyard tooled for another class, two things must be true:
  • The refit cost from the shipyard class to the other class must be <20% of the build cost for the shipyard class.
  • The difference in size/displacement between the two classes must be <20% of the size/displacement of the shipyard class.

The refit cost to refit from Class A to Class B (in this case, Class A is the shipyard class) is the cost of all new components on Class B which are not present on Class A, multiplied by 1.2x (i.e. there is a 20% premium), multiplied again by the relative difference in size/displacement. This latter factor is calculated as [ 1.0 + ABS(Size_B - Size_A) / Size_A ].

The most common example is to have a colony ship and a cargo freighter. Say that both displace about 40,000 tons with the colony ship being about 200 tons larger due to extra crew quarters. The colony ship costs 1500 BP and the freighter costs 500 BP. It would be impossible to build the colony ship from a yard tooled for the freighter, since the cost of the cryogenic chambers alone is greater than the entire BP cost of the freighter. However, a standard 25 kT cargo hold costs only 50 BP, so the cost to refit from a colony ship to a freighter is quite small:
  • Cost of new components: 50 BP, possibly a bit more due to changes in the crew quarters layout.
  • 20% premium raises this to 60 BP
  • Size difference is (1 + 200/40000) = 1.005x, so the final refit cost is 60.3 BP
As this is much less than 20% of the build cost for a colony ship, a yard tooled for the colony ship can also build freighters. Again, this does not work both ways - a yard tooled for the freighter cannot also build the colony ship.

Once you get familiar with these rules you can use them to design "bridge classes" allowing you to for example build a warship and its jump-capable variant out of the same shipyard. In the early and mid game this is essential to build all the classes you need for a strong fleet, though in the late game you can easily just throw another dozen shipyards at the problem instead.

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #1578 on: March 27, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
Hello, fairly newish to the game and still learning lots from reading these forums as well as my own discoveries. 

My question(s) for the day relates to components and modules, specifically does anyone know/have a chart or diagram that lists all the TN mineral costs for them? I found one pretty easily for installations but trying to find one for ship parts is proving more troublesome.  This is mainly for my own liking of logistical webs.  Rather than just shipping all minerals to one central construction facility (earth), I want to set up colonies that focus on construction on one or more ship components depending on minerals available on the planet, and then ship those components to a shipyard colony for assembly. 

And as a side question is there a limit to what components can be built by industry? I've noticed that not everything is listed such as fuel storage and engineering spaces.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1579 on: March 27, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
 - Just a friendly reminder: You can create a medal with negative promotion score. Very useful for managing officers. I like to assign a -900 promotion score medal to every commander for their first assignment... but I'm OCD as hell, so... heh. ;D Good to use for Fighter Jocks! :D

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1580 on: March 27, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »
Hello, fairly newish to the game and still learning lots from reading these forums as well as my own discoveries. 

My question(s) for the day relates to components and modules, specifically does anyone know/have a chart or diagram that lists all the TN mineral costs for them? I found one pretty easily for installations but trying to find one for ship parts is proving more troublesome.  This is mainly for my own liking of logistical webs.  Rather than just shipping all minerals to one central construction facility (earth), I want to set up colonies that focus on construction on one or more ship components depending on minerals available on the planet, and then ship those components to a shipyard colony for assembly. 

And as a side question is there a limit to what components can be built by industry? I've noticed that not everything is listed such as fuel storage and engineering spaces.

For components, the main reason you can't find a list is that the ones that you design have too many variations to put into a neat table format. Engines, weapons, sensors, etc.

The limit to components not buildable by industry are mainly the smaller components that you don't design yourself which can be thought of as "hardwired" into the ship due to how integral they are. So crew quarters, engineering spaces, fuel storage, and some others. Conceptually, larger systems like engines, weapons, sensors, etc. would be mounted into designed spaces or hardpoints in the hull and can be built separately.

In practice as a rule of thumb any component you can design should be buildable with industry - engines, weapons, etc.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1581 on: March 27, 2021, 07:01:42 PM »

I made a list of which minerals are used in which components in excel, I've attached it to this post. It has installations on it as well. Because the cost of components scales with tech it only has costs for the installations.

Most components can be produced with industry, I think the only ones which can't are armour, fuel, engineering bays and life support. I think of these as components which are integrated into the hull.

2 small warnings, I made the sheet for Aurora VB and updated it for C# so it might be inaccurate if I missed some changes.
While producing components on specific planets is a wonderfully flavourfull RP idea, I think it will add a lot of micromanagement, so be prepared.

The following users thanked this post: KriegsMeister

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #1582 on: March 27, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Migi link=topic=11545. msg150004#msg150004 date=1616889702
Quote from: KriegsMeister link=topic=11545. msg149989#msg149989 date=1616880465

My question(s) for the day relates to components and modules, specifically does anyone know/have a chart or diagram that lists all the TN mineral costs for them? I found one pretty easily for installations but trying to find one for ship parts is proving more troublesome.   This is mainly for my own liking of logistical webs.   Rather than just shipping all minerals to one central construction facility (earth), I want to set up colonies that focus on construction on one or more ship components depending on minerals available on the planet, and then ship those components to a shipyard colony for assembly. 

I made a list of which minerals are used in which components in excel, I've attached it to this post.  It has installations on it as well.  Because the cost of components scales with tech it only has costs for the installations.

Most components can be produced with industry, I think the only ones which can't are armour, fuel, engineering bays and life support.  I think of these as components which are integrated into the hull.

2 small warnings, I made the sheet for Aurora VB and updated it for C# so it might be inaccurate if I missed some changes.
While producing components on specific planets is a wonderfully flavourfull RP idea, I think it will add a lot of micromanagement, so be prepared.
I appreciate it, and yes that is the intent, trying to make the logistic network more interesting than "mass driver minerals to earth, if outside sol mass driver to 1 planet then jump ship to earth".  As well as give colonies more to do other than mine and be fruitful.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1583 on: March 28, 2021, 03:26:00 AM »
Do I need to do something special in order for the aether rifts to be reduced? I investigated all known ruins and dig sites, uncovered all installations etc. Something that I am missing to increase the reduction rate?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1584 on: March 28, 2021, 03:34:40 AM »
it's a static 10 ancient constructs to reduce the rift growth rate to 0% and they shrink by 10% of that rate for every active ancient construct in the game beyond that. If you don't have 10 or more on your map, tough luck.

Edit: it's not a fixed 10% per construct, but 10% of that construct's research bonus. So 6% rift growth reduction for a 60% research speed construct.

Relevant change thread, and for the ever-helpful changes index.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:44:44 AM by Zap0 »

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1585 on: March 28, 2021, 12:24:06 PM »
Ah, there it is. Thanks.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1586 on: March 28, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Ah, there it is. Thanks.

Not explicitly mentioned, so something I've had to piece together, is that to activate a dormant construct apparently requires a population of 1 million on the body. For a long while I was wondering why my Xeno brigade was taking so long to figure out what the thing was until I stumbled upon that little tidbit.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1587 on: March 29, 2021, 05:20:32 AM »
Wait. Have I understand correctly, that I'll have no warning about construct existance there until there's a 1-mln colony of mine?

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1588 on: March 29, 2021, 05:28:32 AM »
My Xeon Brigade was capable of determining what is was without a population. Maybe your Xeon was so small it simply and coincidently took that long until your colony was that big. What I know is that your Xeno Brigades need to be around 100 points so that your chances of discovering what the ruins are can be determined within one year. It though is random, so you don't know when it will happen.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1589 on: March 29, 2021, 10:28:39 AM »
Wait. Have I understand correctly, that I'll have no warning about construct existance there until there's a 1-mln colony of mine?

No. You can spot Dormants as soon as you see a system's bodies. Don't even have to scan. Just pop in.

A Xeno Ground Unit can investigate and determine the Dormant's specifics without any pop present.

The 1 Mil pop mark is to activate the Research/Rift bonuses from the Dormant. Once you have 1 Mil pop on that Colony, you get an Empire Wide Research Bonus for that specialty (10% I think?) regardless of whether you've moved labs there for the entire bonus.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:30:14 AM by Kylemmie »