Poll

What happens next?

"Alright Men, let's head north and take out that Sea-Skimmer!"
4 (33.3%)
"Fall back to the primary battle line, this ain't our day to die!"
0 (0%)
"Lance corporal, we are going to stay right here, build a nice campfire, and wait out this goddamn war."
3 (25%)
"There's only one option at this point men, while that big red x is distracted, we're slipping down the river-valley and capturing that uranium. They'll thank us later!"
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Big Sky  (Read 2428 times)

Offline El Pip

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Big Sky
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2021, 12:58:20 AM »
I wonder how many other people voted for the violent option in the hope that the subsequent conflict might kill Sled? I know I did.

Offline The0didactus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 05:56:32 PM »
chhhhhhhharrrrrgggggeeee

Offline The0didactus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »
==================
STORY FIVE: ADHERENCE
==================

Three Days Later

The recently deceased Captain Helia Costades lay dead in a nearby ditch
Newly promoted Captain Everette Sledd wiped sweat from his eyes and adjusted the goggles on his survival suit, in a hope of getting some better read on the indecipherable readout before him. He tried to focus on the situation at hand, and not the fact that his left side was covered with small specks of his predecessors blood.

"Green square is us," He said.

"Correct sir." Lance Corporal Chesterton said.

"Red crooked diamondy things are infantry formations...enemies...the ones with the cross-hatchy bits I mean."

"Again, correct."

"What does it mean if there's a big x on top."

"Whole smegload of infantry sir."

"And the blue is the rest of the 2nd Regiment."

"As of this morning sir."

"And the diamonds with the pockmarks?"

"Concussion rifle nests, sir."

"Why didn't the map display the one just over the ridge?"

"We didn't know about it this morning, sir."

Captain Sledd examined Captain Costades' body again. "No, I suppose we did not." He said. "So...there could be any number of enemies off to the west that aren't on this map."

"Yessir, could be thousands."

"Crap. but there could also be nothing out there at all."

"Yes."

"Interesting...Well, last question, the red diamond in the Fjord north thats the objective..the Sea-Skimmer."

"The...uh...I believe former objective sir." Lace Corporal Chesterton replied. "Situation has changed since the ambush. I rather think the captain's previous order to regroup along the line of organization, South near Paintbrush Lake, is prudent."

"Yeah, well I'm the captain now." Captain Sledd grumbled.

The situation was disorienting, to be sure. He was in command of a squad of a few hundred, part of an advance landing force given the rather ambitious goal of capturing the largest source of fissile material on the planet...30 kilometers away along a frozen river-valley. If strategic assessments were accurate they were outnumbered perhaps seven to one, by opponents who all looked exactly alike. Whoever the original Soren Soderberg was, Sledd knew at least that the man was no slouch: since planetfall, Sledd had been locked in an unremitting melee with hundreds of his progeny: six foot three Finnish titans with stringy black hair and ice-blue eyes. The assessment released this morning predicted with high confidence that the Soderbergs were already running low on ammunition and basic supplies...but of course the same assessment had failed to record the presence of the concussion rifle nest that wiped out a quarter of his men.

There were several options available to Sledd, but he was in no position to properly weigh them. Instead, he gave the first order that came to him...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 06:57:44 PM by The0didactus »

The following users thanked this post: Black

Online nuclearslurpee

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »
I see from the map that we are invading Space Turkey, surely this can only go well.

As for what comes next, the answer is not "what is the best option", but rather what would a lazy, womanizing bastard of a soldier do? The answer of course is nothing. Bayonets are excellent for roasting marshmallows, yes?

Offline El Pip

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2021, 01:38:17 AM »
Booo. I am gravely disappointed in this turn of events.