Author Topic: Bug reports  (Read 23936 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Bugs report
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/dR7uvqW

There seems to be something with the system numbers. I'm playing a setup with max 500 systems, yet i have system numbers from 1 to at least 4408

Are you sure it's 500 and not 5000?

And are you sure it's never been 5000?  Because (in Aurora) reducing the number of systems in the game won't remove or renumber any existing systems.

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/aE1u4ks

Don't know if this is a setup thing, but it doesn't seems to happen for me in Aurora. The Bottoms in the system screen exceed the windows size and the font doesn't scale well when zoomed

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• G
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/oMAZpGu

Don't know if this is a mistake or i have just never seen it before. Here are two jump points set between the same systems. Denmark <-> KBH-0

It's been a known 'feature' of Aurora for years, so I assume it's deliberate.

Maybe as a improvement then to Aurora it would be nice to name these different like kbh-1/2 or something, as it get quite difficult to set up orders when there are two jump point that are named the exact same thing.

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• G
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »

There seems to be something with the system numbers. I'm playing a setup with max 500 systems, yet i have system numbers from 1 to at least 4408

And are you sure it's never been 5000?  Because (in Aurora) reducing the number of systems in the game won't remove or renumber any existing systems.

Well a was sure until you pointed it out and i checked the Game details where it said 1000, so maybe i intended to set it to 500 and it somehow defaulted to 1000, i'm pretty sure though that i din't set it to 5000 as that would be very stupid considering my laptops capabilities.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
Its seems to me there is a bug on the "Re number" button on the "class design" Screen. It doesn't seems to do anything.

Can you post a screenshot of the Ships in Class prior to clicking the Renumber button?

https://imgur.com/a/8NTsczR

I accidentally designed the renumber function a bit differently than the tooltip says.  Rather than wipe out the ship's name it preserves the ship name, only wiping out the 3 digit numbers at the end and adding new numbers.  I'll let this simmer for a bit and see whether the different functionality feels better or worse.  Might add an option to choose whether to redo class names the VB6 way when clicking renumber.

The following users thanked this post: Gram123

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »

Well a was sure until you pointed it out and i checked the Game details where it said 1000, so maybe i intended to set it to 500 and it somehow defaulted to 1000, i'm pretty sure though that i din't set it to 5000 as that would be very stupid considering my laptops capabilities.

It's true that the game won't remove or renumber any existing systems, but I did find and fix a bug where it was using the number of known systems as the maximum number in non-known-stars games instead of the other way around.  So this is fixed for next version.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/oMAZpGu

Don't know if this is a mistake or i have just never seen it before. Here are two jump points set between the same systems. Denmark <-> KBH-0

It's been a known 'feature' of Aurora for years, so I assume it's deliberate.

Maybe as a improvement then to Aurora it would be nice to name these different like kbh-1/2 or something, as it get quite difficult to set up orders when there are two jump point that are named the exact same thing.

If this happened in my game I think I'd just SM delete the second jump point, but you make a good point and I'll add it to my long list to make them easier to tell apart somehow
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:16:21 PM by Kyle »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2020, 03:51:53 PM »
I tried to overhaul a ship at a planet that had a too small maintenance capacity. I got a warning that overhaul is not possible and directly next came a message that told me: "Stenton CV2 001 has suffered a catastrophic maintenance failure and exploded!" - Bit of a coincidence... or a bug?  ::) I hope it has nothing to do with Marco Inaros...

Also: the "Hierarchy View" in the "System Information Screen" is not updated when one switches the star system.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:11:55 PM by TMaekler »

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Thanks for the reports kyonkundenwa and others, nearly every issue reported resulted in a bug getting fixed!  Version 95 is up, with the following changes:

Here are a couple.  Using win64, version 92.

Not a bug, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what version you're using.  Not in the about, not in a readme, etc.  Please tell me if I am just not looking in the right place.

Added this to Game Info window and About window.

Clicking "reorder" in the Commanders menu crashes the game.  I don't think I've ever clicked it in Aurora but I just couldn't resist this time.

Fixed

I caught an officer that the event log reported (on recruitment) as having an intelligence bonus but actually had an operations bonus instead.

Fixed

On that note when an officer in the Public Affairs position increased his Diplomacy bonus it was reported in the events as a "Public Affairs" bonus increase. . .  I don't remember what it says in Aurora but it's confusing verbiage regardless, it might be worthwhile to unify diplomacy/public affairs under a single name.

It copies Aurora's verbeage but I'm open to revisiting this later

The only maintenance failure I seem to get is the catastrophic one where the vessel explodes.

Fixed.  This was a tricky bug to find, glad to have it squished.

I've started a couple games and in each game had one of a couple small grav surveyors with a 5+ year shelf life (according to the class design report) explode in the first year or two, without seeing any other failures of any kind.

This may or may not be fixed indirectly by a couple of my other fixes.

The research screen has some issues.  Cancelling a research doesn't reset the scientist back into the scientist window until the screen refreshes by selecting a different research category.  Cancelling a research sometimes creates a duplicate research topic at a different level of completeness; both disappear once you select one of them for researching again.

Fixed, by adding a more aggressive UI refresh (a function in the code called "refresh_others") after Cancel is clicked.  I've added "refresh_others" to about a hundred or so other UI controls that needed it as well, but haven't explicitly tested every one.  "refresh_others" is nearly the same as the Refresh All button with a couple optimizations, and it may not always refresh the F9 and Galactic Map windows since those are expensive to update.  This should take care of a lot of potential issues where a Refresh All is needed to fix what is being displayed.

Manually changing the number of labs to be assigned sometimes results in 0 labs being assigned once you click "create".

Couldn't reproduce, but it might be fixed with the "refresh_others" fix above.

Here are some updates to my previous post and some more problems.     Win64 v94 now.   

Update: somewhere in a decade of turns an officer working at Fleet Intelligence got an increase in Intelligence bonus, so it is possible for officers to have that bonus, but in that decade not a single newly recruited officer arrived with an intelligence bonus.   

Fixed by the above fix to recruitment

Update: after that same decade of watching my grav survey ships explode one by one from catastrophic failures I saw my first non-catastrophic failure (an engine) which was repaired from MSP as expected.     Even so, I would say there is something wrong with the catastrophic failure frequency.   

Yep, when spares were available it was working.  Catastrophe frequency fixed as mentioned earlier.

I see a lot of commanders (scientists and naval officers) get bonuses where instead of the increase being a multiple of 5%, like normal, it's multiple of 5% minus 1%.     This leads to scientists who have a 34% bonus to biology, or a naval officer who has a 49% bonus to operations, etc.     In Aurora, as far as I know, all bonus increases are either multiples of +5% (normal job) or they are a flat +1% (team member).   

Fixed.  This is another nasty bug I'm glad to have squished.   The code int(1.15 * 100) was resolving to 114.  Not necessarily the engine's fault, it uses raw floating point number types because 3D engines prioritize speed over accuracy, and math with raw floating point numbers can get weird.

I replaced about 200 cases where I was converting floating point numbers to integers using the default 'int' with my own custom code called 'int_floor', in which int_floor(1.15 * 100) = 115, so that should eliminate some future bugs.

There seems to be a problem with the GRAV survey default order.     Whenever the game announces that a system has been fully surveyed, if I go check on the system my surveyor will be redoing a survey point that had already been completed.     Once it finishes that survey point again it will halt and announce that it can't find any valid survey targets, as expected.     This also happens with multiple surveyors working in concert, they will each queue up as their final survey target the survey point that the other vessel is working on, so even after the system is fully surveyed they will run over to the other vessel's survey point and redo it before announcing their failure to find a valid target.   

Fixed

Something similar can happen with GEO surveying but I've only noticed it a few times, possibly because geo surveying a given target is typically very fast.     The geo surveyor will queue up the final target twice in a row and survey it twice.   

Fixed

Industries don't stay shut down when turned off in the Civilians & Ind Status tab, the timer starts ticking as soon as you click "shut down" so 180 days later they are back to running again.     I'm about to ship my fuel refineries to Venus so they stop using all my Sorium.   

Fixed

Renaming components in the "Design Tech" window doesn't work (or I can't get it to work).     The prefix line is editable and works exactly as expected, but when I edit the pregenerated name (e.    g.     "150 EP Ion Drive" to "Test") my changes aren't reflected in the research topic name after I click "Create", the research topic name just uses the prefix line + pregenerated name.   

Fixed

Adding any hangar module to a vessel changes the displayed "maint life" to 10000.    00 years.   

Couldn't reproduce.  Maybe fixed by one of my other changes.  If still happening can you give more details?

Vessels don't fail their "load [specific installation]" orders when there is none to be loaded.     I noticed this after my cargo TG kept on repeating its orders to carry automated mines to Venus years after Earth had run out of automated mines, so the TG was just flying back and forth empty.   

Fixed

Officers don't automatically promote when using manual assignments, and can't be manually promoted.

Fixed

Jump engine sizes above 100 wrap around to 1, such that selecting an engine size of 105 (the next after 100) creates a size 1 engine.   

Fixed

I don't know if this was a design decision or not but Quasar military/commercial jump engine rules are different from Aurora which goes against your stated goals for the project.    In Aurora any vessel with commercial-rated thrusters can jump via a commercial-rated jump drive, regardless of the vessel's overall military/commercial classification, while any vessel of the appropriate size can jump via a military-rated jump drive.    In Quasar military vessels can only jump via military-rated drives and commercial vessels can only jump via commercial-rated drives.   
This also has in-game implications in that a person might consider using commercial jump drive and engines on a really large military vessel (a carrier or something) in order to avoid researching a really large military jump drive which comes with a huge research cost.   Can't do that with the current Q4x mechanics. 

One correction, in Quasar, commercial ships should be able to jump via military drives.  But yes, this is essentially a design decision because I coded this part how I understood the rules to be, without explicitly testing every possibility in Aurora.  In this case I will accept the difference from Aurora because throwing a commercial engine on a carrier to get around long research times seems pretty gamey to me and I find it hard to believe this is an intended behavior.

In View Technology window, when you select Missile Launchers it is not possible to select researched technologies. So for example by default there is ICBM Silo and it is impossible to select to make it obsolete or rename it.

Fixed

Fixed

https://imgur.com/a/aE1u4ks

Don't know if this is a setup thing, but it doesn't seems to happen for me in Aurora. The Bottoms in the system screen exceed the windows size and the font doesn't scale well when zoomed

Window size fixed.  I'm aware of the font scaling pixelation on F9 but it happens to not be a straightforward fix so it's pretty far down on my list.  Aurora 7.1 font scaling on F9 looks better, but there are still some ultra-pixelly fonts at certain sizes.

Thanks again for all the reports.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
the "Hierarchy View" in the "System Information Screen" is not updated when one switches the star system.

Fixed for version 96

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
These are still from v94, so you may have fixed some already. 

Fighters landed in a mothership which is sent for overhaul will enter overhaul themselves, but will never complete their overhaul-you have to give the "abandon overhaul" order to move the vessel again.   I don't remember how it works in Aurora but I suspect they shouldn't enter overhaul at all.   I didn't test parasites of other sizes, just fighters. 

This one's parasite related but I'm having a tough time with exactly what's going on.   My 25000 ton mothership (8000 tons of hangar space) with 25000 ton rated jump drive can transit a jump point empty.   It still can transit with up to 2x 500 ton fighters on board, but once I load a third fighter it fails at the jump point saying a vessel is too large for transit.   It still fails if I launch the fighters.
My guess would be that the game is trying to jump the landed fighters through as though they were launched and just flying in the same TG, which is why a JD max squadron size of 3 lets 2x fighters (and the mothership) through but fails at 3x fighters.

Terraforming modules aren't affected by terraforming rate tech increases. 

On the industry tab, changes to queue order aren't respected when selecting the next task.   To reproduce, queue up a bunch of tasks at 50% industry.   Shift the lowest in the queue up to the top.   It will stay there until one of the in-progress tasks finishes, then the game will select whatever was originally next and the one you moved up will go back to last in the queue. 

The maintenance facilities mineral use estimate in the Industry tab just displays 0s even though I have a bunch of military ships parked in orbit.   Maintenance facilities seem to be using the minerals, they're just not reporting it in the estimate screen. 

Orbital habitats don't seem to work quite right.   The colony summary reports a -50% population growth per year, and political stability is decreasing due to overcrowding, but the population is exactly at the OH capacity and isn't changing.   The population growth may be just a display issue but the stability event spam is annoying. 

I can't get a newly-created TF staff to load onto a flag bridge which is in orbit. 

Officer sorting ("sort by ability or location") doesn't work for civilian administrators and scientists. 

To reproduce the hangar maint life issue, go to the class design tab, click "new", then add at least one of any hangar type to the new vessel.   Maint life will display as 10000.  00.   Adding certain other components (e.  g.   engine, survey sensor) will set the maint life to the expected value, while adding certain others (e.  g.   cargo hold, cryo transport) won't.   A completed vessel will almost always wind up with a component that causes the correct value to display so I guess it's not really a big deal. 

Expanding the system map beyond a certain width (such as on a widescreen monitor) extends the left-side toolbar, to the point that it will cover the scale bar in the top left.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:06:18 PM by kyonkundenwa »

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Kyle

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
If you wouldn't mind, could you check these on v95, a lot of things were impacted by it

Edit: well, some of these are still issues, will take a look
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:02:06 PM by Kyle »

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
I thought I wouldn't check today, but then I did.  v95.

Fighters still get stuck in overhaul.

I think I understand the parasite jump problem after SM-editing the carrier a few times.  First, Standard Transit is following the same rules as Squadron Transit.  In a Standard Transit any number of vessels can go through a JP regardless of the jump drive's squadron size rating, while the Squadron Transit uses the squadron size as a limitation.  Second, Quasar is attempting to jump the landed parasites through as though they were just flying in the Task Group like any other vessel, rather than recognizing that they are inside the carrier and transit rules should not apply to them.

Terraforming modules still aren't affected by tech increases.

Maintenance facility minerals use still shows 0.

Orbital habitats are still acting oddly.  The residents aren't being limited by the OH's capacity and instead are trying to grow like normal on the surface which results in the population going over the supported value.  I don't remember exactly how this works in Aurora but I know that OH inhabitants going over their limit on an otherwise uninhabitable object didn't happen.

Vessels with Flag Bridges still don't show up in the Task Force - Move to Flagship dropdown.  Overall it looks like Naval Organization may be unfinished, and I don't remember these mechanics very well, so I'm not going to say anything more about it.

Scientist/administrator sorting still doesn't work.

Hangar maint life thing still happens.

The map width "problem" hasn't changed.

Fixed in v95 - industry queue issue.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Kyle

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2020, 01:31:48 AM »
One correction, in Quasar, commercial ships should be able to jump via military drives.  But yes, this is essentially a design decision because I coded this part how I understood the rules to be, without explicitly testing every possibility in Aurora.  In this case I will accept the difference from Aurora because throwing a commercial engine on a carrier to get around long research times seems pretty gamey to me and I find it hard to believe this is an intended behavior.

Actually, that is Working As Intended: the technobabble is something about the more energetic military engines stressing/disrupting the jump so they can't ride with a commercial jump drive, whereas a military model has much higher tolerances and that's why it's so much harder to build, size being equal. (What's the alternative - a software lock that refuses to initiate the jump if it detects a vessel in the squadron is carrying a hangar/1.05HS passive sensor/whatever else, because it would violate the license tier you've payed for?)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »
As someone whose conventional-start empires normally research only a single, large civilian engine for our initial fleet (military and otherwise) for fuel efficiency & annoying research cost reasons (it's frequently cheaper to research an entire new engine power tier than a large military engine), I'd certainly rather see Quasar copy Aurora's behaviour in this matter.

- - - - -

While I agree that it's not intended behaviour to exploit quirks in Aurora's code, the idea that a military ship would utilize civilian engines for fuel efficiency, maintenance, or speed-of-construction reasons makes sense to me.

Also, I think it would be an annoying amount of micro-management if my fleet auxiliary tankers had to haul along civilian jump ships in order to move with the fleet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:53:25 AM by Father Tim »