Author Topic: Typo Thread  (Read 59851 times)

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Typo Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
In the "Classical Astronomers" and "Astronomers" naming themes, poor Sir Issac Newton PRS has my sympathy ever since the very first ship class I designed and built in VB Aurora. 

Edit: He appears in the "Famous People" list as well; and I hadn't noticed Issac Asimov following him although that should bother me even more, given my forum name.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:20:27 PM by Second Foundationer »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »
In the "Classical Astronomers" and "Astronomers" naming themes, poor Sir Issac Newton PRS has my sympathy ever since the very first ship class I designed and built in VB Aurora. 

Edit: He appears in the "Famous People" list as well; and I hadn't noticed Issac Asimov following him although that should bother me even more, given my forum name.

Fixed.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
Super-tiny cosmetic typo: The technologies 'Heavy bombardment Weapon' and 'Super-heavy Vehicle Armour' lack capitalization of the second word in each phrase.

Fixed.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
In the „Kriegsmarine“ Name Theme - „Admiral“ ist misspelled as „Admaril“ for the Hipper and Scheer.    Also the „Bismarck“ is missing its‘ C in the CK at the end there

Edit: „Kronprinz Wilheim“ should probably be „Kronprinz Wilhelm“.   And „Thuringin“ should be „Thuringen“ if you must skip the lovely Umlauts  :-\
Edit 2: Thanks for the Tip! I hope this works

I used the attached but still lost the Umlauts and Eszetts for some reason. I've edited the db manually with the names from the file and they are now displaying correctly. This will only appear in the next db update, not 1.9.1.

The following users thanked this post: Jobran180

Offline Cosinus

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
When a fighter is built, you get an event in the event log called "Fighter Contruction"

The following users thanked this post: JyeGuru

Offline Noriad

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »
Not really a typo but in the mouse-overs of the game-information screen (if you click the wheel button on the main game screen) there is talk of Real Stars game and Real-world Stars game and an option called Known Star Systems. I assume that is three different terms for the same option? I think it is less confusing to standardize them into a single term.

Offline EnzoAkira

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2020, 06:17:58 AM »
Hello. 
In the Research project window, the shields has the development cost along the same line as the size

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »
The name "Bat" is in the Birds theme.

Bats are mammals, not birds. Feels a little odd.

Wanted to bump my own typo as I never got confirmation it was fixed. If it was fixed, I apologize for bringing it up again. It hasn't been fixed as of the 1.9 DB update, at any rate.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
Not exactly a typo, and I think it might be carryover from VB, but the two beam fire control techs are named:

Beam Fire Control Range 32,000 km
Fire Control Speed Rating 2000 km/s

I feel like for consistency the names would work better as:

Beam Fire Control Range 32,000 km
Beam Fire Control Speed 2000 km/s

Or possibly "Tracking" instead of speed if preferred. This would also make them alphabetically adjacent on the list of research projects.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:19:43 AM by Bremen »

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Cosinus

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »
In the standing orders of Jump Stabilisation Ships, there is a standing order called "Build Jump gate at nearest Jump point. " This is probably a carryover from VB6 and should be called "Stabilise nearest Jump Point" because of lore changes.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2020, 12:59:24 AM »
54 themes contain duplicate names.  628 duplicates total, 13 duplicate duplicates.

The following query will correct this:
Code: [Select]
BEGIN IMMEDIATE;
CREATE TABLE "temp" ( "theme" INTEGER, "name" TEXT, PRIMARY KEY("theme", "name") ) WITHOUT ROWID;
INSERT OR IGNORE INTO "temp" SELECT * FROM "DIM_NamingTheme";
DELETE FROM "DIM_NamingTheme";
INSERT INTO "DIM_NamingTheme" SELECT * FROM "temp";
DROP TABLE "temp";
COMMIT;

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »
54 themes contain duplicate names.  628 duplicates total, 13 duplicate duplicates.

True, but I'm not sure we want to change this.  For example, Athabasca is a native tribe, a river, a national park, and a lake (all in Canada).  That's five different naming themes it could all reasonably be on, and I don't think there is a correct answer as to which one gets to keep it.  (Sure, three of those entries could become Lake Athabasca and Athabasca River and Athabasca Park but if I wanted all my River class vessels to be called '[something] River' I'd use the new naming conventions to do so.)

Likewise, as mentioned above Sir Isaac Newton is both a famous astronomer and a famous person.  Which list gets to keep him?

- - - - -

I was one of the people responsible for getting Aurora auto-name generation changed to ignore skipped names instead of retrying them, precisely because of name duplication issues -- because Collingwood is both a famous admiral and an Australian city.  Because Le Havre appeared on two lists back then and I didn't want to manually rename twenty-two battlecruisers.

I want to keep duplicated names. . . though I would be delighted with a tool to quickly check if my empire has duplicate names.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:14:57 AM by Father Tim »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2020, 01:43:10 AM »
Not really a type - When you research a Prototype, the log entry just says such and such technology researched, without any evidence, that you only created a prototype.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2020, 05:41:17 AM »
On the "Create New Race" screen the right-side bottom column uses "Conventional Factories" when the rest of Aurora uses "Conventional Industry"

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »

True, but I'm not sure we want to change this.  For example, Athabasca is a native tribe, a river, a national park, and a lake (all in Canada).  That's five different naming themes it could all reasonably be on, and I don't think there is a correct answer as to which one gets to keep it.  (Sure, three of those entries could become Lake Athabasca and Athabasca River and Athabasca Park but if I wanted all my River class vessels to be called '[something] River' I'd use the new naming conventions to do so.)

Likewise, as mentioned above Sir Isaac Newton is both a famous astronomer and a famous person.  Which list gets to keep him?

- - - - -

I was one of the people responsible for getting Aurora auto-name generation changed to ignore skipped names instead of retrying them, precisely because of name duplication issues -- because Collingwood is both a famous admiral and an Australian city.  Because Le Havre appeared on two lists back then and I didn't want to manually rename twenty-two battlecruisers.

I want to keep duplicated names. . . though I would be delighted with a tool to quickly check if my empire has duplicate names.
It seems I wasn't clear, so I apologize for the confusion.This isn't about names shared between different themes, which as you say are perfectly valid, but duplicates within themes.  54 themes each contain at least one name more than once.  The fix I posted removes those duplicates without affecting shared names.  It also sorts the table.

This fix could also be made permanent by changing the definition of the affected table to
Code: [Select]
CREATE TABLE "DIM_NamingTheme" (
"NameThemeID" INTEGER NOT NULL,
"Name" TEXT NOT NULL,
UNIQUE("NameThemeID", "Name")
);
and changing the code that fills it to use "INSERT OR IGNORE INTO" instead of plain "INSERT INTO".

UNIQUE on both columns ensures that duplicate rows can't be inserted while still permitting name sharing between themes.
INSERT OR IGNORE tells SQLITE to silently discard inserts that violate the UNIQUE constraint.
Replacing UNIQUE with PRIMARY KEY and changing the last line from ");" to ") WITHOUT ROWID;" permanently sorts the table, that is all future inserts will also be sorted.