Author Topic: Master Ship Classes & Components  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
Re: Master Ship Classes & Components
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »
That would be great... if it worked... and it does not work.  The auto research skips over prerequisites willy-nilly, the component designs give you 85 variants of magazines and duplicate identical weapon systems, and the ships.. hahahahahaha… it is obvious you have not tried it lately.

You're right; I haven't tried it.  I play Aurora to, y'know, play Aurora.  I'm not interested in skipping the part where I research techs and design components and build ships and direct my exploration efforts.  Aurora is not a tactical battle simulator, it's a 4X game.

You do realize it only does a part of the basic TN start setup - by default 80000 research points which it spends for you and then designs ships and ground units, you still have to spend the 44K or so build points, and can modify the designs?  You know the standard TN start, the accelerated one you use when you don't select conventional start? 

What it's not a battle simulator?  I've been deceived!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:52:26 PM by Omnivore »

Offline Omnivore

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
That would be great... if it worked... and it does not work.  The auto research skips over prerequisites willy-nilly, the component designs give you 85 variants of magazines and duplicate identical weapon systems, and the ships.. hahahahahaha… it is obvious you have not tried it lately.

You're right; I haven't tried it.  I play Aurora to, y'know, play Aurora.  I'm not interested in skipping the part where I research techs and design components and build ships and direct my exploration efforts.  Aurora is not a tactical battle simulator, it's a 4X game.

I concur with Father Tim in the fact that I do not and will not use SM mode to magically give me massive fleets with the best Technology to roam the systems. I will build all my Shipyards from the ground up and research all the components from the base items without feeling the need to cheat. It may take me decades in game years to develop my Race but I enjoy the challenge.

DavidR

It is not SM, it is the default game start with setting the auto-research, auto-design checkboxes presumably intended to give you a quick and randomized preselection of techs and ship designs.  It is in fact the opposite of cheating, in VB it made for a harder game from the very start.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »
You do realize it only does a part of the basic TN start setup - by default 80000 research points which it spends for you and then designs ships and ground units, you still have to spend the 44K or so build points, and can modify the designs?  You know the standard TN start, the accelerated one you use when you don't select conventional start?

Yes, I do realize that.  It is why I suggested TMaekler choose such a start and then modify the designs Aurora created to be more in line with his personal ship & tech philosophy.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
Which is still completely orthogonal to whether having an import/export feature for ship designs would be a useful thing to have, both at game start and later on in a playthrough. I've never used the SM to build ships, and I'd still find it handy.

It's not like it would actually cause you any inconvenience if it existed, why are you arguing against it?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm not.

The original post was "it would be nice if we could have this thing" to which my reply was "Aurora does not currently have that thing; here's a workaround."

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure we know it's not in the game, given that it's being posted in the suggestions forum, doncha know.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »

And we wouldn't want anyone to have badwrongfun.