Author Topic: I need help to counter AMM barrages  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: I need help to counter AMM barrages
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »

Now Xeno and Cons teams recovering ruins. 1/10 of them recovered to present day and it was 20m fuel, 100 Inf, 1 FC, 1 CF. Still 66 Alien Inst. are waiting to be recovered. Xeno teams found that they have a name which now can't remember but still not their race. Since they had no lifepods I assume they were not proper NPRs though.
one way to distinguish between spoilers and NPRs is that. also, on VB6 it was also possible to distinguish them during battle, Precursors never streamed anything, Swarm stream fluid (and that is awesome), and invaders stream atmosphere when you breach the hull, like the rest of us.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Exultant

• Petty Officer
  • E
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
The short answer to the AMM barrage is "More PD Ships"

in Aurora, Missiles barrages tend to be either overwhelming or completely ineffectual. Since they run out, and can be completely neutralized, always bring enough PD to neutralize them.

My strategy in my no-missile games is 50% by tonnage dedicated PD ships in my fleet. If the enemy is bringing missiles to the fight, I'm happy. It means that I only need a few beam ships to mop up after they waste their barrages. With the change to still be able to shoot down missiles which can cross the distance in less than 5s, and the change to fix missile tracking bonuses I can choose to either wait at max range to give my PD the best chance to hit (if they're using more than I think I can handle) or close in and kill them before they use them all (if I know I can take the salvos).

If they are beam heavy and I didn't tailor my fleet due to proper scouting (like a first encounter with an NPR) then I will either need to retreat, or take advantage of point blank gauss spam, which is highly effective, so long as my ships are faster than theirs.

The following users thanked this post: consiefe

Offline consiefe (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »
The short answer to the AMM barrage is "More PD Ships"

in Aurora, Missiles barrages tend to be either overwhelming or completely ineffectual. Since they run out, and can be completely neutralized, always bring enough PD to neutralize them.

My strategy in my no-missile games is 50% by tonnage dedicated PD ships in my fleet. If the enemy is bringing missiles to the fight, I'm happy. It means that I only need a few beam ships to mop up after they waste their barrages. With the change to still be able to shoot down missiles which can cross the distance in less than 5s, and the change to fix missile tracking bonuses I can choose to either wait at max range to give my PD the best chance to hit (if they're using more than I think I can handle) or close in and kill them before they use them all (if I know I can take the salvos).

If they are beam heavy and I didn't tailor my fleet due to proper scouting (like a first encounter with an NPR) then I will either need to retreat, or take advantage of point blank gauss spam, which is highly effective, so long as my ships are faster than theirs.

Wow, this is exactly my take on the subject after these recent experiences. Missiles can be completely trivialized by enough PD ships eventhough they seem impossible to overcome at first. So as you mentioned no missile game, I was also thinking missiles aren't necessary after all. The bit of information I need on the matter is, how much saturation we need to make AI hit by missiles. If AI brings as many PDs as player than there is no point bothering with missiles.

For gauss turrets, I was literally thinking about the damage before I read your post. How devastating especially in numbers, RoF 5 Gauss Quad turret can be. 20 damage per turret and if you stack low accuracy light turrets potential damage is overwhelming. You need durable ships though since you really need to get close.