Author Topic: Earth Alliance Comments Thread  (Read 17702 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Earth Alliance Comments Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »
The particle beams are heavy hitters, but fire so slowly. Smaller beams with lower strength but faster reload would threaten beam fighters more effectively at a medium range.

The Centauri are paying for their tactical mistakes and overconfidence, but now with a larger fleet en route may have learned their lessons. I think Earth can still win this engagement, and even if the cost is heavy in ships and lives the strategic gains from a victory here will outweigh those losses in the longer term, as the Centauri will be effectively out of the picture as a future threat. Retreating now means committing to a costly jump point assault later on unless the Centauri are truly reckless enough to follow the Earth ships through.

In the long term Earth is potentially a bit screwed, as regardless of the final result here having an active enemy threat so close to Sol will cost many resources that cannot be leveraged against any other threats that materialize - whether those resources are destroyed in action or tied to the defense of a jump point. At least eliminating the Centauri will allow any surviving ships, however damaged, to be repaired and redeployed, hopefully before a new threat materializes.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2020, 07:32:35 AM »
Love to see heavy action like this. The Earth destroyers are pretty cool, and the beam fighters are dominating the battlefield! Beam warfare without (long-range) missiles is always fun :D

As for the larger armada approaching, a stand-up fight seems not possible. Retreat through the jump gate and trying to fight it out on the other side seems to be the way to go.

The Centauri improving their fighter targeting between waves was improvements to the AI code?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2020, 07:54:24 AM »
The Centauri improving their fighter targeting between waves was improvements to the AI code?

Yes, I tweaked it so they would use different fire controls to target different ships if they thought that was appropriate.

The following users thanked this post: clement, Zap0, nuclearslurpee

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
Great action and good to seem the beam fighters working. Was a bit surprised to see the trickle of ships attacking though, I thought AI now set up to avoid that sort of situation?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2020, 04:53:07 AM »
Great action and good to seem the beam fighters working. Was a bit surprised to see the trickle of ships attacking though, I thought AI now set up to avoid that sort of situation?

Yes me too. The larger group at the end is what the AI should do (and finally did) so as the developer I'm not sure why it sent forces in piecemeal, but as the player I am glad it did :)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2020, 02:21:45 PM »
I wonder if the AI was genuinely overconfident about the battle? Given the extra RP to start the scenario, while Steve used the RP to develop a variety of weapons the AI typically focuses on just a couple of weapons and so would have a higher tech level for its ships than Steve would. Maybe the AI judged their tech advantage to be larger than it was, based on the previous encounters, and underestimated the effects of tonnage and a poor anti-fighter doctrine.

Granted, this would still be a poor decision given the Mahanian nature of Aurora space combat, but it does give the AI a certain personality flair.

Offline mostly_harmless

• Petty Officer
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2020, 06:11:22 AM »
Do the results of interrogations (= picking up alien life pods) show up in the event log? I have never seen those. Or does it need some pre-requisite?

Thanks
Thomas

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
The events trigger if you get a certain number of intelligence points, which you don't see anywhere afaik. So you can pick up 7 ships worth of survivors and not get a message, but the eight ship might have enough crew left over that you hit a treshold and get a piece of info.

The following users thanked this post: mostly_harmless

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »
What Zap0 said, there's no event message tying the crew recovery to an intel event, recovering a crew just adds intel points under the hood and if you have enough points a cute intel weasel pops up from under the hood for no apparent reason. Not the best overall feedback, but since intel points are a hidden number it works pretty much on autopilot as long as you know that picking up the crew works that way.

The following users thanked this post: mostly_harmless

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Finally got around to reading all the updates, I'm really enjoying it.
I like that the ship sizes are not nice round numbers, it kind of bothers me but at the same time it gives them a certain rough and ready feel somehow.

I did notice in the first post that you have 3 active sensors on the Omega class, however the 130 res one seems to be redundant.
Did you intend to put a fighter resolution sensor on instead?

I'm interested to see whether the experience with the Centauri causes any changes to the Human fleet design or weapon usage (because it doesn't seem likely the Centauri will get off world any more).

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2020, 03:26:52 AM »
I did notice in the first post that you have 3 active sensors on the Omega class, however the 130 res one seems to be redundant.
Did you intend to put a fighter resolution sensor on instead?

Its a secondary 1 HS sensor for redundancy. With such an expensive ship, I didn't want it to have to rely on a 6.8m anti-missile sensor if the main array was disabled.

The following users thanked this post: Migi

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2020, 06:26:04 AM »
I'm interested to see whether the experience with the Centauri causes any changes to the Human fleet design or weapon usage (because it doesn't seem likely the Centauri will get off world any more).

I'm hoping humans let this one sided affair get to their head and start building fleets consisting of boarding ships only. Because whu build stuff when you can steal it from other races.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2020, 06:29:44 AM »

I'm hoping humans let this one sided affair get to their head and start building fleets consisting of boarding ships only. Because whu build stuff when you can steal it from other races.

Imagine building only boarding ships - the rest of your fleet is whatever you managed to get your hands on.

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
Steve, how long would it take EarthGov to build a repair ship with commercial hangers large enough to hold an Omega, so that you can repair the armor?  Would it be quicker than waiting for the slipways to get free?

Also it'd be nice to have one anyway, it could be part of a forward base "station" when matched with a maintenance module ship so you don't have to send everything back to Earth.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »
Steve, how long would it take EarthGov to build a repair ship with commercial hangers large enough to hold an Omega, so that you can repair the armor?  Would it be quicker than waiting for the slipways to get free?

Also it'd be nice to have one anyway, it could be part of a forward base "station" when matched with a maintenance module ship so you don't have to send everything back to Earth.

Yes, I thought of that too :)

The problem is I don't have commercial hangar tech and my two priorities at the moment are the salvage module (so I can salvage all the Centauri wrecks) and research rate 280. I'm also crippled by having a terrible logistics scientist, so I am using a 20% defence scientist for the salvage module. The lack of repair facilities is a real problem though. Maybe its time to add repair-only shipyards :)