Author Topic: Approapriate Weapon System for a Magnetic Accelerator Cannon in Aurora (Halo)  (Read 1317 times)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
With enough decoys, ATG and as much speed as you can give it, its got a decent shot of getting through, i think for something like a super mac on a OWP I will have them mount 3 size 99 launchers to represent rapid fire SMAC fire so 3 rounds in a burst etc. my only sad thing around this is, you cant make missile launchers bigger than 99 (why steve? come on pls give). so I cant have a literal 3000t projectile which they have in lore at most i can have a 1225t round

To be fair, if you are saying that ships are 1/5 to 1/20 their canonical sizes, a 1225 ton round works for the job, in fact it is a bit overkill at that ratio. Unfortunately however we are stuck with 247.5-ton projectiles (99 MSP * 2.5 tons/MSP) which implies just about a 1/12 ratio, solidly in the middle of that range but an unfortunate upper limit.

Maybe this should go into the suggestions thread, but instead of MACs say it is for Nova Cannons, Steve likes WH40K so that may pander more.  ;)

Yea i cant get the ratios right perfectly, but 1/12 ratio isnt bad I am basing that 1225t number based off a 5x increase on size due to projectiles in halo lore using mass not volume to specifiy size, its as close as you can about get. and yea we should *Cough* suggest to steve to increase the max size of missile launchers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 10:49:34 PM by SpaceMarine »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Missile.

Pretend missiles are MAC rounds, launchers are MAC cannons and just handwave the guidance somehow.

Alternatively - Spinal Lasers.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Missile.

Pretend missiles are MAC rounds, launchers are MAC cannons and just handwave the guidance somehow.

Missiles is a good idea. You could create a huge launcher firing shots with massive warheads, with very short range and very high speed. Lots of decoys to help it get through defences.

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
Missile.

Missiles is a good idea. You could create a huge launcher firing shots with massive warheads, with very short range and very high speed. Lots of decoys to help it get through defences.
Yeah that works really well! Being able to make size 100+ missiles would be neat too for the people who like truly oversized ships.

Now that I think about with some houserules you could make missiles act as cannons, if your something of a masochist you could even go with using missiles with active sensors and only shoot at waypoints to simulate actual gunnery.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Missile.

Personally id use decoys as a substitute for armour and RP the "missile" not being destroyed because its not easy to just destroy a hunk of tungsten flying at X part of c.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 05:38:19 PM by GodEmperor »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Missile.

Yep thats my plan now, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and Steve I would be a very happy man if you allowed us bigger than size 99 missile launchers

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Missile.

Yep thats my plan now, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and Steve I would be a very happy man if you allowed us bigger than size 99 missile launchers

I've increased to 200. That is 500 tons, so the same size as a fighter.

The following users thanked this post: paolot, Gyrfalcon, Marski, Neophyte, Black, GodEmperor, BAGrimm, Warer, BigBacon, nuclearslurpee, lumporr

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Much appreciated, thank you steve

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
Has anyone done the math on survivability of a size 99 missile (let's call it what it is, it's a torpedo!) vs some sort of half-decent PD? I was messing around with prototypes and threw 30 decoys on a torpedo, which seems about the right balance of MSP to engines (50), warhead (25), and decoys (15). that's a lot of decoys, but I think you get diminishing returns on number of decoys, so not sure how likely torpedos are to get through. They sure do make an impact if/when they hit, though... ~150 damage for the tech level I'm at, which is no slouch!