Author Topic: Anybody Still Have the UMT?  (Read 15080 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Anybody Still Have the UMT?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 02:44:21 AM »
One of the major points of impetus behind me writing Astra Imperia was the fact that SF was so condensed in time scale. I didn't like the "go from Apollo 13 to Star Trek in 5 years" situation that seemed to be the norm. One thing I wanted was a (pardon the term) Weberian feel to the empires. Decades passing between tech level jumps. Officers growing older and retiring over the course of the game.

Sadly, from my point of view, even in Astra Imperia the tech advances are too fast, though I do feel the population growth is approximately right. The average growth is between 2-4% per year with the breakpoints sufficiently spread out.

Back to the population supporting ships. In the currently available rules, there is no penalty for exceeding the limit. In the re-write, the current penalty is paying the 10% upkeep monthly instead of yearly. One thing I should note, the ships in Astra Imperia are much much smaller than anything in Aurora (a superfreighter weighs in at 9000 tons and I can see waresky weeping now). I also wanted to avoid the 200+ ship fleets hammering things out. A basic low-tech scout ship of 300 to 400 tons costs around 1 year output from a small core world population.

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 02:52:46 AM »
Oh my.  

I hope my post didn't start what I have come back to find.  I was only trying to say that what was out there now for Starfire (if you were a new player and didn't know what you were looking at) was a confusing mess and would make it difficult to get started.  There is nothing right now aimed at a new player that is in production (that I am aware of).  I in no way wanted to start any sort of heat in a discussion about where it should go/what it is/what it should be. If anyone out there has ruffled feathers due to my post, I offer my deepest apologies and will gladly edit it off the thread.
That said, I will speak (post?) once more, and then remain silent.

I agree with many points out there.

To crucis - more complicated won't make for a friendlier game.  I whole heartedly endorse attempts to reduce the complexity.  Folks can always make it more complicated.  The attempt to get their particular form of complicated to be the 'official' form of complicated seems to be the thorn in the paw of Starfire for some time now. This may be heresy (if not impossible), but an official recognition that there is more than one 'right' way to play Starfire seems long overdue.  In the end, what you find fun, is right.
As a side note, we do use PP points, but base them off of your income instead of your pop.  You already have to total your income every turn, and totaling your PU was just one more hurdle we didn't care to jump.  We use 1 PP per 10 MC, so a starting world (2000MC+/-) doesn't support much, but we like smaller fleets.  10 was just an easy number for the kids to work with. Adjust as you would like.  Or ignore it if you don't.

To PaulM - you only need a computer if that is the game you want to play.  If you want 1000 systems- you need a computer, so be my guest.  We get along fine without, but we slow the rate of surveying and growth to keep the (I agree, eventual runaway) economics slow. Surveys usually take five times the normal amount of points, and with the limited PP I mentioned above, big survey fleets put a crimp on your combat power.   We have had campaigns 'get away from us', but I blame that on me (the SM), and not the rules.  We learn, and change the rules to fit what we want.  But I do run the games for my family and friends, so competition has some oversight and (on good days) balance.  We have one game well past 90 turns without any sign of 'runaway' yet.  (Perhaps moving away of my kids will end it, but that won't happen for a bit)

To sloanjh - if it matters, we are definitely the 'role player' types.  My group wants the universe to write a story that they want to be a part of.  But they help and enjoy, and that is what makes it fun for us.  I have alway said that I want my rules to be a framework to paint on.  Much like some types of poems, a form is required, but within that you have total freedom to tell your own story.

To anyone who might have been offended - I in no way meant to compare the games of Starfire and SFB.  I like and play both.  I wanted to compare that SFB is trying to find a way to introduce itself to new players.  Easily (and to my surprise - free of cost for the Cadet PDF.  You can even print off your own counters and cut them out. Finding Starfire counters now is a little tricky.).Help from an experienced player is best, but SFB is trying to help if one isn't there, and a group would like to try.  Starfire isn't hard if you have a teacher, but we are getting fewer as the years go by.  And the array of products doesn't help.  Our own internal squabbles wouldn't help to get anyone interested either.

In the end, what I was trying to say is that Starfire has nowhere at the moment for a new player to start if he doesn't know an experienced player.  I haven't heard anyone say they have bunches of new players in their group.  But in my Nemesis Campaign thread, I've already had two folks who just wanted a site they could go to and look at simple rules to tryand understand ship designs, etc.  Sounds like people who would really like to play, but at the moment, I really don't have a direction to send them.  I'm sure if I've heard from two, there have to be others out there who would like to join the Starfire 'family'.

Once again, I have always loved playing Starfire.  My group had changed parts of it to suit ourselves, but we are happy with what we have.  And to crucis, I again wish you the best of luck, and hope that if I in some way am responsible for the amount of time you have put into this thread - instead of your work - you have my most sincere apologies.
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 03:12:37 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
One of the major points of impetus behind me writing Astra Imperia was the fact that SF was so condensed in time scale. I didn't like the "go from Apollo 13 to Star Trek in 5 years" situation that seemed to be the norm. One thing I wanted was a (pardon the term) Weberian feel to the empires. Decades passing between tech level jumps. Officers growing older and retiring over the course of the game.

Sadly, from my point of view, even in Astra Imperia the tech advances are too fast, though I do feel the population growth is approximately right. The average growth is between 2-4% per year with the breakpoints sufficiently spread out.

Back to the population supporting ships. In the currently available rules, there is no penalty for exceeding the limit. In the re-write, the current penalty is paying the 10% upkeep monthly instead of yearly. One thing I should note, the ships in Astra Imperia are much much smaller than anything in Aurora (a superfreighter weighs in at 9000 tons and I can see waresky weeping now). I also wanted to avoid the 200+ ship fleets hammering things out. A basic low-tech scout ship of 300 to 400 tons costs around 1 year output from a small core world population.

I guess that the condensed time frame thing never bothered me at all.  I like the idea of trying to get things moving along.  The idea of slowing things down to a "real life" speed seems horrifyingly boring to me.   :|

As for the fleet exceeding its PP limits... the basic concept would be that if you build a unit that would require PP's in excess of the Navy's current PP limit, the ship could not be activated, since the personnel simply wasn't available.  OTOH, if for whatever reason, the size of the Empire's total population has decreased, and the total # of PU's becomes less than the current fleet PP size, my thinking is that the personnel have already been allocated, so it's not like they disappear into thin air.  But the Navy would be unable to add any new ships to the fleet, unless it transferred PP's from already existing ships (which would have to be mothballed or scrapped).

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
Quote from: "procyon"
Oh my.  

I hope my post didn't start what I have come back to find.  I was only trying to say that what was out there now for Starfire (if you were a new player and didn't know what you were looking at) was a confusing mess and would make it difficult to get started.  There is nothing right now aimed at a new player that is in production (that I am aware of).  I in no way wanted to start any sort of heat in a discussion about where it should go/what it is/what it should be. If anyone out there has ruffled feathers due to my post, I offer my deepest apologies and will gladly edit it off the thread.
That said, I will speak (post?) once more, and then remain silent.

No no, Procyon.  No need to apologize.  While PaulM and I may be disagreeing, I'm in no way angry at him and hope that he's not angry with me.  We're just exchanging some opinions, and I appreciate that.

I agree with many points out there.

To crucis - more complicated won't make for a friendlier game.  I whole heartedly endorse attempts to reduce the complexity.  Folks can always make it more complicated.  The attempt to get their particular form of complicated to be the 'official' form of complicated seems to be the thorn in the paw of Starfire for some time now. This may be heresy (if not impossible), but an official recognition that there is more than one 'right' way to play Starfire seems long overdue.  In the end, what you find fun, is right.

I'm trying to do my best to simplify things in ways that attempt to retain the essential value of the concepts, while stripping away the overly complicated parts whose benefits don't seem to be worth the cost in complexity.

As a side note, we do use PP points, but base them off of your income instead of your pop.  You already have to total your income every turn, and totaling your PU was just one more hurdle we didn't care to jump.  We use 1 PP per 10 MC, so a starting world (2000MC+/-) doesn't support much, but we like smaller fleets.  10 was just an easy number for the kids to work with. Adjust as you would like.  Or ignore it if you don't.

1 PP per 10 MC seems extremely low, but whatever floats your boat.  ;)

I suppose that it might be possible to base PP's off of total income rather than PU totals.  I'll have to think about it.

To anyone who might have been offended - I in no way meant to compare the games of Starfire and SFB.  I like and play both.  I wanted to compare that SFB is trying to find a way to introduce itself to new players.  Easily (and to my surprise - free of cost for the Cadet PDF.  You can even print off your own counters and cut them out. Finding Starfire counters now is a little tricky.).Help from an experienced player is best, but SFB is trying to help if one isn't there, and a group would like to try.  Starfire isn't hard if you have a teacher, but we are getting fewer as the years go by.  And the array of products doesn't help.  Our own internal squabbles wouldn't help to get anyone interested either.

Procyon, I'm curious about this part.  When you print these counters and cut them out, are you printing them on any sort of light cardboard or heavy paper stock?  This issue of counters is something that Cralis and I have discussed recently, and I'm very curious about this.  Whatever you can tell me would be very useful.

Once again, I have always loved playing Starfire.  My group had changed parts of it to suit ourselves, but we are happy with what we have.  And to crucis, I again wish you the best of luck, and hope that if I in some way am responsible for the amount of time you have put into this thread - instead of your work - you have my most sincere apologies.

Don't worry about that... I've actually enjoyed the time I've put into this thread...

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 04:27:24 AM »
We print the counters off on cardstock, but you could use anything.  Its just a PDF with the counters on the page.  When I first found out about it, the middle boy was just printing them off on 3 x 5 notecards. ('Bout used up all his mothers recipe file before he got caught.  14 year olds.  What can you do???)

Oh, and as I said, we like smaller games.  Helps when some of the players (my kids) are only 10ish when they start.  To big or to fast just overwhelms them.  Small fleets also pretty much wipe out swarms, which we don't care for a great deal.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
Quote from: "crucis"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
In my opinion, Imperial SF didn't go far enough in abstracting away the individual movements of ships and units - it still has the detail-freak disease.  The player still gave individual movement orders to individual ships (or TG); as the size of the empire grows, this becomes excessively cumbersome.  I think that, in order for the game to meet both sets of needs (4X and tactical) the Imperial game has to be ruthless in cutting out detail - I think this is where Imperial SF falls down.

In order to build a game that doesn't suffer from this, I think one would have to go to a "macro-economic" version of fleet management for the strategic game.  Rather than tracking individual ship movements, one would assign ships to fleets which had patrol responsibilities - a fleet would have a certain number of certain classes of ships.  Rather than tracking which ships are in maintenance, one would go with the USN's "1/3 deployed, 1/3 training up, 1/3 refitting" ratio to determine how many ships in a particular fleet are available at a particular time.  For the single-battle tactical players, one could then use the patrol responsibilities (e.g. 1 CVBG is always in Westpac) to generate random encounters between Navies.  For the campaign tactical players, one could randomly assign locations upon a patrol to the various patrol responsibilities.  For the 4x players, one could generate "tracer" battles for the various patrol responsibilities that were then multiplied by some factor to determine the entire campaign (or just use straight attrition formulae).  For the detail-freak players, they could intersperse full campaigns with 4x segments.

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you're suggesting.  But I never really worried about movement orders for individual ships (well, unless I was sending individual ships on missions).  I never used the crew grade rules, so I never had to pay attention to specific ship IDs, except when there were some specific units that had suffered damage and didn't match the standard undamaged unit of that class.  Thus, if First Fleet had 9 Revenge class BB's and 12 Concord class CA's, I'd just order First Fleet to its destination, knowing that it had those 9 BB's and 12 CA's, and I didn't have to be concerned with the individual id's of the 21 ships.

The reason that Erik's mail prompted me to write this is that his statement of "stationing a ship at a population" struck a chord with the thoughts I've been having along these lines.  Basically, the 4X game would involve building ships for fleets, stationing them at fleet bases, and assessing the costs of the fleet deployments (in addition to colonization activities, of course).  It should be expensive to station a large fleet a long way away from core worlds, unless port facilities were explicitly built up.  The player could turn knobs to e.g. "surge" readiness if he thought war was imminent, or set levels of war-like encounters with neighboring empires (e.g. "friendly" vs. "covert harrassment" vs. "open warfare"), but these levels would have costs in the 4X game.

Well, this is an area of interest for me.  In the SM#2 thru Ultra model, when you pay for maintenance in a given month, it will support any and all units regardless of where they are, well, at least as long as the CFN has a clear path to reach them.  While this model has the benefit of extreme simplicity, it just doesn't feel right to me.  

At this time, I haven't actually put a lot of thought into this issue, but I was thinking that perhaps this "instant availability" of maintenance should only be allowed as long as you are within 4 StMP of a CFN terminal (i.e. essentially any outpost).  Of course, this doesn't exactly match up to what you say above about requiring some sort of full blown "port facilities", but it's a start.  Also, with this idea, there'd be some consequences...

First, it would create pressure to build outposts or colonies on or near the frontier to provide for places where forward formations could get their maintenance.  And as the "frontier" moved forward, so too would the navy need to establish new forward bases.

Second, there would need to be a way of handling maintenance supply for ships/fleets that were not within supply range of their bases.
This is really the answer to "I'm not sure what you're suggesting", but the other stuff cc'd is relevant so....

I think that what I'm suggesting is two things:
1)  Introduce "the uncertainty principle" to ships/TG/fleets when you're working in the "strategic" game.  By this I mean that, in the strategic game you do not know which system (or refit state) a ship is in at a particular time.  Instead, you know which fleet the ship is in, which systems are areas of responsibility for the fleet, and how the fleet has divided its resources to patrol those areas of responsibility.
2)  1-month timescales are too short for the strategic game if you want to be able to run enough decades or centuries for the empire's colonies to grow at a natural rate.  If you go to 1-year (or even longer), then you solve at least two problems:
A) You don't need to worry about tracking a ship's movement between stations (by which I mean fleets/port facilities), because the transit time is signficantly shorter than a turn.  In other words, on a scale of a year, any ship can be anywhere in your empire.
B)  The complaints about CFN being unrealistic because you can magically teleport the cargo ships from one end of your empire to the other go away, for the same reason (one turn has enough time in it for multiple transits across the empire).

Your comment about "port facilities" crystalized what I meant by #1.  Let me throw a few concepts out there (all for the strategic game):

1)  The game is centered around "home ports" and "stations".  A "home port" is where a ship is based and undergoes training and refit.  A "station" is a patrol area where you assign patrolling resources (ships or TG) on "missions", such as WestPac or the Med for the USN.  A station will probably map to a system or group of systems.
2)  "Missions" are the sorts of activities that a patrolling resources might perform on a station.  Example missions might be:  Commerce Protection (i.e. CFN escorts), Planetary Defence (for inhabited systems), Border (WP) Defence, etc.  For tracking purposes, this could actually be done pretty easily using index cards - you can use a card to define a patrol area, and other cards (or regions within the card) to define missions within the patrol areas, then put counters or write numbers of ships for tracking.
3)  A home port has a set of ships assigned to it, which can be divided up into TG.  TG are assigned missions on stations.
4)  Just because you have 9 ships assigned to a home port, that doesn't mean that they'll all be available for missions.  During normal operations, only 1/3 will be deployable - another 1/3 will be training in the home port's system, and another 1/3 will be in refit (parts strewn about on the deck), which brings you down to 3.  There should also be a range penalty - if a station is a long way from the home port where the ships are based, then there should either be a drop in coverage (sometimes the ships aren't there) or some other penalty.  Now that I think about it, you might want to introduce the concept of "naval CFN", which has a set number of "deployment points" - putting ships on station a long way from home port costs a lot of deployment points, which would naturally lead to less coverage time on station if logistical resources are limited.  Note that naval CFN points would come from building real logistics ships for your navy, and assigning them to home ports just like any other ship.
5)  The tactical game is invoked by "encounters".  Encounters happen randomly when two empires have ships with missions in the same system, and if the empires are on some sort of hostile footing.  For example, if two empires had a "patrol 25% of the time" missions in a system, then there would be a good chance of an encounter between patrolling elements at least once in the course of a year (it would be fairly large since each fleet would do multiple patrols over the course of a year).  If one empire had a "patrol 25%" order and another had a "probe" order, then the odds would be 25%, since the probe would only enter the system once for a short time.
6)  When an encounter happens, you basically randomly determine an OOB for each side based on the 1/3 availability rule, then roll up a starting configuration.  You might want to have the idea of "standing orders" defined by the players for each mission, so that the starting configuration could be based on this.
7)  On the subject of construction, if your turns are long enough (5 years, which is probably too long), then you don't need to worry about how long it takes to build a SY - you just need to worry about SY throughput.  What's probably best is what Steve does and what you allude to - SY operations are paid for as you go, so the cost of a big ship is spread out over the several years it takes to build it.
:)

John, I can't talk about the nitty-gritty of how similar or dissimilar Cosmic will be to 3E.  I prefer to play things a fairly close to the vest, as the saying goes...
[/quote]
Wasn't probing for information, was trying to point out that I recognized that this might be too big a conceptual change.

As I've said before and elsewhere, the tech systems will be entirely familiar to 3e people and have a 3e feel to them.  Also, while as I've said that I'm entirely willing to take things from any edition of Starfire, my general preference is to try to maintain a general level of simplicity on the strategic side that's lower than exists in Ultra, and perhaps in SM#2 as well (well, at least for those areas in SM#2 where things became more complex than in ISF...).

As for "how much be changed?" ... well, that's a tough one to answer.  For example, how much change would people accept? (That may seem like an overly leading question, but it's not intended that way.)    I can also say that if people are expecting me to simply take all of the 3e source documents and re-edit them, they're going to be disappointed.  That is NOT what I'm doing.  This isn't to say that I'm ignoring what's come before (aka 3e, 3rdR, SM#2, UTM) or what is (Ultra).  What I'm trying to do is to create something new, not something that's re-hashed, but with strong 3e sensibilities...  OTOH, just because I say "something new", don't take that to mean that I'm trying to do anything radically different (although "radically different" may be a very relative term from person to person).
And you answered it here :-)
However, an idea that has only occurred to me upon reading what you wrote, I suppose that an additional factor could be included that took the total size of an empire (i.e. its total PU) into account, and above a certain point, the empire's growth rates were further reduced...  But I have no idea what would be proper total PU breakpoints for this sort of concept to work properly.
I like the idea of bigger empires having more unrest/chance of rebellion.  If you go this route, then players have an incentive not to grow like crazy, 'cuz it might break up their empire.  The economic penalty idea I mentioned was based on the "corruption" penalty in Civilization.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
Quote from: "crucis"
I guess that the condensed time frame thing never bothered me at all.  I like the idea of trying to get things moving along.  The idea of slowing things down to a "real life" speed seems horrifyingly boring to me.   :) Just not as fast as Starfire.

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »
lots o' snippage

In all honestly, John, what you describe above is the sort of change that is far, far, far too great for my taste.  It changes the strategic side so greatly that it would no longer feel like (strategic) Starfire to me, and in all honesty, I'd never want to play it this way, and probably would have never started playing a strategic game that was handled this way.  I want control over my ships' movements and my fleets' strategies and do not want them abstracted away and do not want my fleets' orders of battle and locations randomized.  Yes, this may increase the complexity of things to some degree, but it's a level of detail that I'm not willing to lose.  :|

I don't mind increasing the abstraction level of certain things to try to simplify the strategic game, but (IMO) I'm not trying to change the essential nature of the game.  What you've described above is changing the nature of the game to the point that it's entirely unrecognizable... to the point that it is, for all intents and purposes, a different game.

Regardless, thanks for the input.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
Damn you John!!

Thats exactly what I was looking for when I started playing SF (1st edition), then VBAM, so when are you giving up your day job to become a game designer :-)  I'd end up trying to track every single little thing - a case of "do as I say, not as I do" :-)

John

PS - VBAM?

Victory By Any Means, its another P&P 4 X game, a lot more abstract than starfire, and it's tectical game is either an abstract factors vs factors exercise or you use one of the myriad tectical starship combat games out there (the one they link to most in VBAM is Starmada)  Unfortunately from my point of view they abstract the wrong things (ie tech advancement) and it still doesnt give the granduer and long timelines I'd like,  I love the idea of it taking a decade to get a self supporting colony, ship construction taking 5 years for a capital ship, research projects being 10 years.  of course as a rider theres no way that would be playable with month long turns, it would be more boring than, um, err anything I can think of!

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 06:45:12 AM »
I'm not angry with anyone.  I was just sick over the weekend.  I also like 4th edition for some things, including Marvin's attempt to fix the economy.  That it doesn't work beyond a point is just the fact of using a simplistic economic model.

As for playing Starfire with PnP.  I've done this with 2E rules, that works up to a point.  At about 20 systems to track the game bogs dramatically.  This game was heavily modified and used the 3rdR time warp thing in that we had had income only from one month but a year per turn.  It still got overwhelming, I had a binder to try and keep track of things.  Also the SM is pretty much left with accepting that the player did the math right since double checking would be a serious effort.

I've done various 4thE games with only Excel spreadsheets.  Though the computer you would think would simplify stuff that is true only to a point.  Excel is spreadsheet not a database so it gets complex at between 10 and 20 systems.  Also tracking ships is a major major pain.  One of the issues is just how hard it is to scroll...stupid as that is.  But with 50 lines per system as an average you are at 500+ lines in your empire rather fast.  And each line needs to be entered by hand so there is huge chance to make a mistake.  Cut and paste only goes so far.  Plus the turn to turn issues.  It is doable but the death by bookkeeping sets in rather quickly.  This version is really just PnP using the computer as a binder/calculator.

In the second case the SM at least can maintain control and make sure that no major errors creep in.  But neither works with empires that are beyond small.  This is what Steve and I are trying to point out.  I played my games with the locals using Starfire Assistant for over 2 years, with weekly or at worst biweekly turns.  We were probably equal to Steve's game in total though my empire was only 70-80 systems.  But this requires a proper database program.  That is why our SM said no way without it.

There are other issues but PnP is only possible if the galaxy size is constrained to extremely small.   This shows up immediately in VBAM where they limit the galaxy in their campaign supplements to very few stars.  Which is good if you are just trying to generate battles with realistic OOBs.  That is what Marvin set out to do, and he succeeded.  It isn't really what I enjoy most about Starfire...being more in the "builder" category.

My point about complex economies is perhaps not so clear.  By complex I don't mean bookkeeping intensive but simply that there is more to them than MCr.  Starfire is actually extremely bookkeeping intensive and offers little for it.  In ISF Webber tried to head off at the pass a number of aspects, which is why there were PP, reduction in population to produce settlers, and delays before you got your money from the new colony.  The flip side is that the game then became all about NPRs.  3rdR made it much harder to get a friendly NPR amalgamation and made colonization more worthwhile.  But the net result is that your income eventually spirals out of control since you have 3 growth mechanisms: tech level, colonization, and NPRs.  You can shove the problem back (Marvin's solution) which only works if the game is over with quick.  That doesn't remove the problem and so for me that is not a viable solution.  The removal of the NPRs probably makes exploration luck even more critical but then a game of 5 players in say 50 starsystems is likely to devolve into 4:1, 3:1, 2:1 and then either 1:1 or end as one player has the economy and military to overwhelm the remaining one.  It might go 3:2, 2:1, 1:1 as well but clearly the first players to unite have the highest chance of "winning" and outsystem colonization is going to be limited regardless since the time scale to make such things worthwhile won't exist.  I could be wrong since it isn't the sort of game I have played but long term investments don't seem to play a major role in a short game.  The board game Twilight Imperium is a good example of this kind of game.  Basically in a 3 player game the first to attack will loose militarily so it is worthwhile only doing so if you can win via victory points in some way before the defeat matters.

A suggestion for an economic change would be to have an economy that has: money, 4 resources (food, energy, metals, consumer goods), shipyards that build only certain hull sizes or smaller (but can't build multiples), have slow ship construction, and have maintenance points and have the ships require these in integer amounts so that small ships really aren't efficient.  I would also make it so that the player be rewarded for building an infrastructure network (assuming it becomes less of a pain and more of a strategic asset).  My feeling is that you have to give the players strategic choices, do they invest in a colony that looses money but gives their fleets more range and allows access to that warp point chain or do they forgo it and invest in a money making colony.  The IFN basically destroys this sort of thing in 3rdR.  The changes introduced in AD and onwards either removed the infrastructure, or made it maintenance free so that nothing impeded the rich getting richer, faster and faster.  

The problem of the time scale.  It is what would make multiplayer Aurora un-enjoyable as you would have long periods of idleness.  I don't have a solution, I ran into this when I was thinking up game rules years ago and the problem doesn't go away.  One possible solution would be to slow down dramatically the speed of ships so that one year tactical would match up with one year economic but this will clearly slow down the expansion and has other issues.  Another option would be to give a fixed amount of money on turn 1 and then no more money till turn 10 (slow down the economy to match the military) plus cut the build rates by the same factor of 10.  But there are issues with this as well.

But to make the game playable PnP you have to go well away from the bookkeeping nightmare that Starfire becomes.  Smaller numbers, more integers, that sort of thing.

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Also tracking ships is a major major pain.

I believe that the biggest reason that "tracking ships is a major major pain" is the crew grade rules.  Those rules basically turn each and every ship into an individual entity with its own unique number of XP.  I never play with crew grade, and have never had to bother tracking crew grade XP, and thus have been able to treat all ships of the same class much more simply.  That is, say that I have 30 Longbow BC's in system "A", and I decide to order 12 of those BC's to travel to system "B".  I don't need to care which 12 BC's will be moved, since they're essentially anonymous.  I'm moving a single group of ships, that just happens to be 12 BC's, not 12 individual units each with its own identity and XP total.  Saves a LOT of headaches.

I've done various 4thE games with only Excel spreadsheets.  Though the computer you would think would simplify stuff that is true only to a point.  Excel is spreadsheet not a database so it gets complex at between 10 and 20 systems.  Also tracking ships is a major major pain.  One of the issues is just how hard it is to scroll...stupid as that is.  But with 50 lines per system as an average you are at 500+ lines in your empire rather fast.  And each line needs to be entered by hand so there is huge chance to make a mistake.  Cut and paste only goes so far.  Plus the turn to turn issues.  It is doable but the death by bookkeeping sets in rather quickly.  This version is really just PnP using the computer as a binder/calculator.

A part of the paperwork annoyance problem from a P&P perspective is the constant or semi-constant need to recalculate each world's GPV due to monthly or yearly growth.  And on top of that, allowing populations on Desolates and Extreme worlds to naturally grow makes this problem MUCH worse, since there are likely MANY more Desolate and Extreme populations in a heavily colonized empire than there are habitables.  Of course, the habitables will account for more of the overall income, but the desolates and extremes will be much more numerous and if allowed to naturally grow, each would require GPV recalculation every growth cycle.  If Desolate and Extreme population growth is removed, the paperwork annoyance in this regard is considerably reduced.

Also, there are some other factor contribute to making certain aspects of the paperwork more difficult in the PU/PTU model vs. the EVM model.  For example, with the existence of mineral values and incremental colonization, all those little Desolate and Extreme populations are far, far less homogeneous in their GPV numbers.  Now, this may be pleasing for some for the sense of realism, but it also makes dealing with all those little individual populations more tedious than if they all had the same value.
For example, in ISF, the EVM value an OP or a Colony on a Type O1/O2 world was a set value.  It didn't change due to mineral values or incremental colonization or growth.  Only a change in the empire's TL would cause an increase in the EVM.  (And yes, a change in the TL would require the REI's to be re-rolled, but the REI concept also tended to be one of the largest factors in my ISF planetary economies could be so huge.)  So, in the ISF model, all those Desolate and Extreme OP's and Colonies did tend to have very GPV's, which might seem rather bland, but it also greatly simplified dealing with them.

My point about complex economies is perhaps not so clear.  By complex I don't mean bookkeeping intensive but simply that there is more to them than MCr.  

Actually, I did understand what you meant... ;)

You can shove the problem back (Marvin's solution) which only works if the game is over with quick.  That doesn't remove the problem and so for me that is not a viable solution.

I don't necessarily agree with you here.  I'd argue that Marvin's solutions probably work best in a smaller game because of the numbers of T/ST's he allows.  I think that if T/ST are "too" common (a very relative term, mind you), in a shorter game, not enough time/turns will pass to cause those "too common" T/ST's to become to economically explosive, but after a certain point they will be.  But if you want a longer, larger game, you could considerably delay this by reducing the numbers of T/ST's in the game galaxy.  Of course that will also increase exploration luck as a factor.  But IMHO there are some tradeoffs that just can't be avoided.  if you want to keep economies from growing too large too quick, you need to have fewer economically explosive T/ST's in the mix, even if it does increase the exploration luck factor.  But if all one cares about is "exploration luck", then make every system exactly the same (1 T, 1 ST, and the usual other junk) and exploration luck will be a total non-issue.  Of course, you'll have T/ST's everywhere and imperial economies will go nuclear in a very, very short time.

Another related point is the relative values of the 3 habitable environment types: Benign, Harsh, and Hostile.  In SM#2, Harsh's were capped at Medium and Hostiles at Settlement.  OTOH, in 4e, Harsh's were capped (loosely) at Large, and Hostiles at (loosely) Medium.  I think that this change was done to mitigate exploration luck, since it reduced the difference in economic value for Harshs and Hostiles relative to Benigns.  But at the same time, by increasing the values of Harshs and Hostiles, it also increase the overall value of all T/ST's taken together.  In simple terms, if each of the 3 hab env's has a 33% chance of existing, that means that the average T/ST population in SM#2 would be a Medium, whereas in 4e it would be a Large... and since Larges are twice the PU size of Mediums, this means that the average total GPV has potentially increased by factor of 2.  Something to consider...

The removal of the NPRs probably makes exploration luck even more critical but then a game of 5 players in say 50 starsystems is likely to devolve into 4:1, 3:1, 2:1 and then either 1:1 or end as one player has the economy and military to overwhelm the remaining one.  It might go 3:2, 2:1, 1:1 as well but clearly the first players to unite have the highest chance of "winning" and outsystem colonization is going to be limited regardless since the time scale to make such things worthwhile won't exist.  I could be wrong since it isn't the sort of game I have played but long term investments don't seem to play a major role in a short game.  

It took me a few re-readings to absorb this paragraph, Paul.  The ratios caught my eye and prevented me from absorbing the really important point.  Yes, 5 players in only 50 star systems with no NPR's would tend to limit the value of outsystem colonization.  Then again, I suppose that I could say that if you were playing that many players in so small a galaxy, you're really looking to have a bunch of battles, and exploration would seem to be more about finding routes into enemy territory, than exploration for its own sake and for finding colonizable real estate.

While this isn't the sort of campaign that would really interest me, I could see that it might be pretty good for people looking for a more "operational" game with a number of battles.  And actually, if that IS the sort of game that they're interested in, I'd say that it'd be better to not include any NPR's in that small galaxy, since any hostile NPR would be terribly bad luck and any friendly NPR would be amazingly good luck.  It'd probably be better in such a small galaxy to just let the players be knocking heads with each other and not let such a highly random factor as NPR's affect the outcome.

A suggestion for an economic change would be to have an economy that has: money, 4 resources (food, energy, metals, consumer goods), shipyards that build only certain hull sizes or smaller (but can't build multiples), have slow ship construction, and have maintenance points and have the ships require these in integer amounts so that small ships really aren't efficient.  I would also make it so that the player be rewarded for building an infrastructure network (assuming it becomes less of a pain and more of a strategic asset).  My feeling is that you have to give the players strategic choices, do they invest in a colony that looses money but gives their fleets more range and allows access to that warp point chain or do they forgo it and invest in a money making colony.  The IFN basically destroys this sort of thing in 3rdR.  The changes introduced in AD and onwards either removed the infrastructure, or made it maintenance free so that nothing impeded the rich getting richer, faster and faster.  

There are many interesting points here.  

Honestly, though this sort of complication just doesn't sound like Starfire to me.  The "4 resources" thing only makes an already complicated game more complex.  

Slower construction times?  This doesn't do much for me, though it's the easiest thing to do within the existing framework without causing many secondary effects.  I would worry that slower construction times would only serve to make smaller ships even more attractive, since it would make larger ships that much slower to build.

You also have a "time scale" issue here, I'd tend to think.  Not a "time scale" issue similar to the supposed economic speed up.  I'm thinking more along the lines of construction times vs. movement times.  It's one thing to have ships taking a year or 2 to build if it's taking a long time to cross a number of star systems.  But in that 5 player/50 star system galaxy, it may not be terribly uncommon for the players to be no more than 5 StMP apart (just a swag BTW), depending on the layout of the WP network.  Or to put it another way, their home systems may not be much more than 2-3 months travel apart, once all the warp interconnections have been scouted out.  Who's going to bother building big ships if the other player could be in your home system in 2-3 months?  The one unalterable (I suppose) advantage of small ships over large ones is that you can build about 3 DD's in the same time that you could build 1 BB.  Now, while the BB may be more powerful than those 3 DD, that's only true IF the BB gets completed.  But in the meantime, you might have 1 or 2 of those DD's already finished.

Regardless, increased build times only slow the rate of fleet growth.  They don't do anything to place caps on it.  It would seem that only something like PP's could do something like that.  

Maintenance Points?  Well, I suppose that a ship's maintenance cost could be required to be rounded to the nearest whole number.  Not sure how that would help out larger ships over smaller ones in terms of efficiency, unless you start assigning hardcoded maintenance fees to each hull type and have those fees arbitrarily favor larger ships over smaller ones.  But then that doesn't take into account the relative costs of warships having different designs with more expensive and more advanced technologies.  Oh, I suppose that one could multiply the total of all those hardcoded maint fees by some TL factor, but that wouldn't seem to be fair as it wouldn't take into account that you might have some classes that aren't up to current TL standards.  Or heck, your empire's TL may have just increased, but none of your ships have any tech systems from that TL yet.  Frankly, the question of rounding to the nearest whole number aside, it seems that the current method of calculating a ship's maintenance cost is the most fair and effective one that I can see at this moment.

"Infrastructure network"?  This is a bit vague.  Do you mean, something like saying that saying that fleets could only get their maintenance from the CFN "free" if they were within 4 StMP of a CFN terminal (really just any ol' Outpost)?  

I understand what you're saying about the changes to the CFN (the IFN was what it was called in ISF) made in SM#2 do make dealing with maintenance "easier".  This is an issue of differing perspectives and player desires.  Some players don't want to deal with the issues of logistics, such as you're describing.  And the CFN as it exists from SM#2 and forward has basically taken this element out of the game.  All ships in your empire magically receive their maintenance every month, as long as they're not cut off,  under the subsumed theory that all of those shipments are pre-planned months ahead of time below the player's "radar screen".  And that can work to a degree to me, so long as they were well within the borders of the empire.  But that theory falls on its face when you have ships that are pushing the frontiers of your empire forward.  How does anyone in the CFN or the Navy's Logistics Division know where those ships are?  How can you plan for maintenance shipments to ships that have passed beyond the frontiers of your empire and are god knows where?

I don't know that this iffy CFN/maintenance model contributes to the so-called "rich getting richer" issue, but it does stretch credulity a bit far for me.  I sort of like the idea that you'd have to be within 4 StMP of any CFN terminal (basically any Imperial population) to be in the "instant" maintenance infrastructure of the empire, but if you wanted to move outside of that infrastructure, you'd have to bring along your own maintenance funds in Imperial FT's (or carried in your warship's cargo holds).  

Or there could be a different way to look at this...  While I'm not particularly interested in an economics and colonization model that actually produces colonies that truly are not profitable, it could be possible to require more specialized, non-income producing facilities to support the Navy's logistical (i.e. maintenance) network.  Something like naval bases.  They wouldn't necessarily be particularly expensive.  They might not be much more than an outpost, but a non-income producing OP that was dedicated to naval logistics, etc.  

I'm not unalterably opposed to re-including Personnel Points back into the game, though it seems unlikely.  I'd only do it as a means of controlling fleet sizes.   (For example, I wouldn't bother linking PP's to PCF's, since it's fleet size that's the issue, not the size of the Imperial Marine Corps.)  The trick is finding the right balance between PP and PU.

The problem of the time scale.  (snip)

I don't see time scale as a problem at all.  I *like* the idea that it's speeded up so that things happen at a quicker pace and the game moves along.   :mrgreen:

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:25 AM »
The main point about the complexity of starfire economics is that it is not complex.  It is just book keeping intensive.  I agree with you completely that removing the arbitrary PU colonization in favor of ISF's defined sizes would reduce that substantially.  Rolling the multiplier and letting the dice fall as they may would also be a good change if you use the ISF mechanic since economies periodically expand and collapse, unlike in ISF where you only would take the new number if it was higher...leading to eventually all economies having a x12 multiplier.  This is somewhat what is done in Squadron Strike where your income tends to fluctuate around a mean value.

My comment on adding to the number of resources so you have 5 rather than 1 is that you can make the interactions work better.  Ships would take: metal, energy and money to build, but maintenance points to support.  Maintenance points cost metal and energy to produce at a rate determined by your fraction of economy devoted to the military-industrial complex.  And so forth.  This allows the designer to introduce checks and balances.  You can't balance a purely compound interest growth economy by simply requiring more money over a long time period.  The costs have to rise with the income and they don't.  They don't rise because a lot of things were introduced into the game to make things simpler (the CFN/IFN), no maintenance for AW, free SY, etc.  The trouble is that each change individually may make sense and may even be a good design choice but the collective effect was not taken into account.

A simple example is no maintenance for IDEW/mines/DSB-L.  The stockpiles of those in most player empires is such that a warp point assault truly becomes a nightmare of epic proportions.  Since anything that costs no maintenance killing stuff that cost maintenance is a good deal for the defender well I think everyone who has played the game understands the issue.

Logistics isn't fun, but on an operational scale which is largely what "Imperial Starfire" is trying to reproduce, ignoring it can't be a good idea.  Fleet bases, supply pipelines, running costs for things all force the player to make choices, and choices are good for the game.  The major issue is how to make these things not contribute to the whole book keeping nightmare.

My point about tracking individual ships is that if the ships are damaged you need to track that, plus as you point out the whole crew grade effect is the primary issue.  But your example also fails when you consider that you might not (especially in 4thE) have uniform ship classes.  So you won't have 12 longbow CAs, but 5 Longbow-1, 3 Longbow-2, 3 Longbow-3, and 2 Longbow-4 CAs.  Also ships can be active, in mothballs or refit/repair.  Even not taking into account crew grade the spreadsheet work to track your ships is non-trivial.  I know I wrote a spreadsheet to track it.  It is the shear number of classes (including varients due to technology changes) that causes this.  For example with my Starfire Assistant 3rdR game I had: 2 SD classes (1 GP, 1 WP assault), 2 BB Classes (1 GP, 1 WP assault), 2 BC classes (1 command ship, 1 Rc), 3-6 CA classes, 3-6 CL classes, 3-6 DD classes, 3 FT classes, 7-10 classes of smaller ships (couriers etc), 3 construction classes and probably more I've forgotten.  Each at any one time would have 2 variants due to the delays of refits.   That even without crew grade or individual ship damage is a lot of effort and a lot of careful work to make sure you don't make mistakes.  And the incremental changes to tech in 4thE only make the situation worse as you are likely to have far more variants per class type.   Compare this to the TFN in Crusade where they had an extremely limited number of ships (by player standards) and very very few classes of ships (by player standards).  Since each ship has potentially different maintenance costs due to different construction costs you can make errors with cut and paste fairly easy.  On a more minor note not tracking individual ships means the role players are going to be left out...I named my ships inside their class, and had named admirals and captains in my command structure.

By errors I don't mean that I think people will deliberately cheat.  The problem is that even an accidental error for several turns (regardless of it was paying too much or too little) is a nightmare to correct since the compound interest effect is going to bite hard.  It is one of the nice things about using Stafire Assistant...if there was an error it affected everyone.  That is a huge load off the SMs shoulders.  And if you do the economic parts without a spreadsheet you have a even greater probability an error will show up and it is harder for the SM to even notice it is being made.

I'm honestly not sure what you are trying to do.  If you take 4thE and limit the size of the galaxy to 10-20 stars per player then the game is playable as is without anything more complex than Excel.  This will give you a game with random battles and a more or less death match outcome.  It is what Marvin intended for 4thE and I think the changes he introduced works well.  If you try a "New Empires" campaign the lack of computer support will kill you at a point that depends largely on both the SM's ability to oversee the galaxy as a whole and the players tolerance for book keeping details.  Something like SFA will push both dramatically back, probably far enough for the players to stop due to the "Steve/Kurt" empire size effect than anything else, fleet size rather than bookkeeping killing you.  Much the same thing that kills (at least for me) the ISW4 supplement.  If you just want a simple economic scheme adopt starfire combat and construction mechanics to VBAM and again play in small galaxies.  If you want a game that allows "new empires" without death by book keeping or death by fleet bloat then I can't see how you  can do anything but to go back to the economic model and dramatically improve-modify it, superficial changes won't change the underlying problems to the existing Starfire economic model all of which are variants of the 3rd edition rules.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
What I mean by infrastructure is just that.  Actual fleet bases.  Range of ships depending on drawing supply from a specific fleet base.  Supply storage.  Supply routes.  Bases on the WPs for communication link.   Sector capitals.  Spaceports.  All the nuts and bolts that keep stuff moving and connected in an empire.

Sure sweeping it under the table with the CFN/IFN makes life easier for the player but you said it yourself...magic starts to happen.  Supplies instantly appear in various places for example.   And more importantly it is largely for free contributing to the rich-get-richer-faster-and-faster.  There is no cost to having a big empire since there is no fixed additional cost to hooking that system up to the rest of the empire.  You don't have to pay a "subsidized merchant" to go to that system using a Traveler example.  Even worse there is no question about if putting PU into that system there makes sense even though it is only 5 moons or something.  Why not?  There is no cost to securing the system since you aren't require to satisfy the populations security issues.  The TFN had a huge investment in colony security via bases given the scenarios in The Stars at War.  I would suspect that a majority of their naval budget was tied up in fixed defenses.

Logistics aren't fun but they are what put the breaks on things.  I think logistics and realistic command and control rules are two aspects of wargames that people have a love hate relationship with.  Without them things are obviously easier...but they ultimately become too easy.  Then, at least in a wargame attempting to simulate reality, you get dramatic diversions from reality.

A simple C&C rule for starfire would be to increase the turn mode of green ships by 1 and poor ships by 2.  Further increase the turn mode of fleets by the same amount depending on the training status of the fleet.

But ultimately anything that interferes with the players direct control tends to cause wailing and gnashing of teeth...even I do it from time to time in games that simulate command confusion or have supply lines.  I just think that on the whole these are things that ultimately add a great deal to the game.

Offline crucis

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
What I mean by infrastructure is just that.  Actual fleet bases.  Range of ships depending on drawing supply from a specific fleet base.  Supply storage.  Supply routes.  Bases on the WPs for communication link.   Sector capitals.  Spaceports.  All the nuts and bolts that keep stuff moving and connected in an empire.

The problem here is that it seems to me that trying to do supply base rules for fleet maintenance could get to be massively complex and annoying.  Even with a relatively inoffensive looking rule, like saying that you can only get the magically instant maintenance for ships within 4 StMP of any Imperial population, you'd then each turn have to check every single fleet and ship you had to see if it was within those 4 StMP of a any population.  Of course, given that this particular version might only require being within 4 StMP of even the merest OP, it shouldn't be all that difficult to try to place lots of OPs throughout your empire, even in systems without any T/ST worlds, just to make certain that the core of your empire had no holes in its supply network, just to make it simple to know that ships within the empire's known borders had no supply issues...  Of course, on the flip side, all those little OP's also represent a security risk.  They're people who could be at risk from raiders, they might also cough up intel data on your empire, and who knows how many other risks.  It might also be rather annoying to have to pay attention (economically speaking) to scads of solo Outposts in a bunch of otherwise empty systems.  In a lot of ways, it seems like a bit of a pain...

WP ICN bases: Those exist in both 3e and 4e.  Having to create the infrastructure to support the ICN.  Of course, if one wanted to make them simpler, I suppose that one could try to abstract ICN infrastructure, and just pay a fee to add a system to the ICN, and also possibly require a monthly maintenance fee.  Arguably, these fees wouldn't be all that hard to determine.  Come up with the cost of ICN WP relay bases (or perhaps FT-based).  You'd know the cost and the maintenance cost.  And you'd need 1 for every WP in the star system... Or you could only pay for those WP's you wanted in the ICN, if you wanted a smidge more detail, and didn't feel like paying for emplacing ICN links into dead end systems... (at your own risk, potentially).

Sure sweeping it under the table with the CFN/IFN makes life easier for the player but you said it yourself...magic starts to happen.  Supplies instantly appear in various places for example.   And more importantly it is largely for free contributing to the rich-get-richer-faster-and-faster.  There is no cost to having a big empire since there is no fixed additional cost to hooking that system up to the rest of the empire.  You don't have to pay a "subsidized merchant" to go to that system using a Traveler example.  

I could argue that some of these things are happening below the player's radar screen and have been abstracted... such as the cost of adding systems to the CFN.

As for the cost of hooking a new system up to the rest of the empire, of course there is a cost,... the cost of emplacing the ICN relay bases.  If you're talking about some sort of "administrative" cost, what's the point?  If the point is to reduce incomes, why not just reduce incomes overall, instead of trying to find complex and potentially annoying ways to do it.

I won't disagree that certain aspects of the CFN's abstractions do have a rather "magical" feel to them at times...

Even worse there is no question about if putting PU into that system there makes sense even though it is only 5 moons or something.  Why not?  There is no cost to securing the system since you aren't require to satisfy the populations security issues.  The TFN had a huge investment in colony security via bases given the scenarios in The Stars at War.  I would suspect that a majority of their naval budget was tied up in fixed defenses.

Well, this sort of thing starts taking control out of player's hands...  There's nothing stopping a player from establishing patrol fleets around the empire.  And if he doesn't, there are risks to not doing so.  Should we really be telling players where they must be placing their fleets and ships?  Wouldn't it be better to just let them make up their own minds and make their own mistakes?

Also, from a role-playing perspective, some races would be more security conscious than others, as arguably can be seen in the NPR rules.  Should player races be forced to obey all those limitations as well?  I hope not.

Logistics aren't fun but they are what put the breaks on things.  I think logistics and realistic command and control rules are two aspects of wargames that people have a love hate relationship with.  Without them things are obviously easier...but they ultimately become too easy.  Then, at least in a wargame attempting to simulate reality, you get dramatic diversions from reality.  (snip)

I just think that on the whole these are things that ultimately add a great deal to the game.

The problem that I foresee is that in trying to add certain aspects of "reality" to things such as logistics and C&C, you can end up with some overly complex nightmare situations.  OTOH, sometimes some details are required to prevent certain "things" from getting out of control.  Mines, etc. Without maintenance on emplaced Automated Weapons (AW's), it's possible, as you correctly point out in the previous post, that players can place some vast minefields that are just plainly deadly to the game.  Maintenance costs are necessary to keep minefield sizes under a reasonable degree of control.  Of course, this means that the player then has to track those maintenance costs...

I guess that the question then becomes is the solution to control the apparent problem worse than the problem itself.

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 02:37:35 AM »
Just a few quick thoughts if I may.

I like the idea of fleet bases.  We kind of do the same thing in one of the games I have.  It is 'mostly' 4e (we house rule a lot if you haven't noticed), but we 'resurrected' Spaceports.  Not just any outpost can support combat ships just like a battleship needs a deep water port (Pearl Harbor as opposed to one of the beaches).  The old SP's could only land/handle 40HS so we gave each SP the capability to support 40HS of ships.  Limit the range to 2StMP (speed 4 at 2 out and 2 back for the supply ships), and you began to limit fleet size.  Tack on a healthy cost to build with a decent rate of maintenance for the SP and building the colony just barely supports your fleet base (or helps subsidize it if it is a big fleet and needs several SP).  The players had to keep Imperial FT's/extra hold space on warships to deal with deployments beyond fleet bases and prepay the amount they would need. The FT's just won't go where they aren't protected/escorted. And the TF still had to have a SP to support it/channel the maint through if they leave behind escorts to accompany FTs and to return to.  Also makes those bases a big target and a risk to move the fleet from.  Take one out and the Fleet starts to degrade quickly.  Just a thought.

As for the multiple models of ships creating a BIG fleet roster, that is one of the main reasons we like to try and limit fleet sizes.  My wife in particular drives me nuts with a different type of ship for every occasion.  A 'new class' cost doesn't slow her down.  I don't have a way to deal with that other than small fleets.

On crew grade, it is fun on small fleets.  As are graded admirals, commodores, etc.  My wife and kids have held the better admiral back from a battle just because they didn't want that one lost or killed, was better at training, etc.  They have pulled ships back/disengaged because they didn't want to lose the one they had worked so hard on.  Gives a more realistic feel than the weapon last and fight to the death play that otherwise seems to crop up.  They leave the old baggie 'escape package' to try and get the beloved ship out of harms way.  Even to the point of moving engines back and weapons to the front of the ship.  (We seem to be in the minority in this though)  If you had a fleet of 1000+ ships, you'd go nuts tracking crew grade.  A big fleet for us currently is held on one sheet of loose leaf paper - front and back in three columns, with some room to spare.  Crew grade is just a note by the ship.  We do like the 4/5e way of advancing being based on a roll each month trained or after a battle.  No tick marks to keep track of, just the grade.

On logistics, we try to keep it simple to deal with, but somewhat encompassing - see the SP above or our PP based on income.  The less paperwork the better, just let any part of it affect a large portion of the paperwork.  Does make a detail oriented SM a must, as mistakes get compounded the more they affect (and dealing with the upset player who got shorted is never fun).  I like logistics though.  I worked in several Army Commands and what they say is true - amateurs study tactics, professional soldiers study logistics.