Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 147477 times)

wilddog5

Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #525 on: July 22, 2011, 02:36:07 AM »
problem

when having a lot if colonies in the pop + produce screen it can get very hard to find the col you want.

my solution

shrink the list slightly and add a dropdown list under the race selection list for systems

this would also help with multi empire game as to select the col you want, you would select the race, then the system and the list would only have the cols in the system selected displayed for easy finding

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #526 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
Nice idea but i would like to go in the direction of collapse-able lists and grouping the colonies by sector and system (and maybe editable subgroups). a it like this:

Code: [Select]
[-]Sector Alpha ->
     [-]Sol ->
          Earth
          Mars
          Titan
          ([+] Jupiter moon colonies)
     [+]Tau ceti
     [+]Bernards star
[+]Sector Beta ->
[+]Sector Gama ->

Some filters to hide certain collonies would be a way too for example by hiding any col with less then 50 Mil. Pop. Bonuspoints if you can add additional parameters say 50mil pop and ruins. This would also work nicely with a dropdown.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2011, 05:45:52 AM »
In the F12 screen I think showing only the Task Groups within the selected Task Force in the top left area of that window would be a good idea. Presently the TG drop down menu shows all task groups which in later games could have dozens of TGs some civilian and some military, listed alphabetically. Showing only TG's within the selected TF can help keep things tidy and organised IMO.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #528 on: July 24, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
Extra "bumps" on armor in the armor so that the total number of hits absorbed by armor is equal to the "Armor Strength" box on the F5 window.

I've got a 20HS armored Beam-FAC design that I was just fiddling with.  The present design is armor-6, with 8 columns for a total of 48 hits that can be absorbed.  (The armor is Laminate Composite.)  The design window, however, says that the armor strength is 54 - 6 more than the hits it will absorb.  I understand what's going on - Aurora is calculating the depth of armor to be 6.something then rounding down.  If my "armor 6" ship actually had 6 columns of depth 7 and 2 columns of depth 6, then I'd actually get hit absorbtion for all the 54 boxes of armor I'm paying for :).  The extra bumps can be uniformly distributed among the columns.

I understand that what's going on under the covers is that, for heavily armored ships, the number of columns in the innermost layers should actually be smaller.  But trying to do book-keeping on that would be a nightmare - this method is much simpler.

"But wait", you say.  "That means that a weapon with penetration of 7 won't always stream atmosphere on the first hit."  I think that's ok - one can technobabble those as oblique hits which see a greater depth of armor and don't penetrate; kind of like hitting the front slope of a tank.  Only a dead-center hit on an armor-6 spherical ball of armor can be expected to have to penetrate only 6 layers.

In the grand scheme of things this is not a very big deal - all I can plead is that it's bugging me :)

John

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
Extra "bumps" on armor in the armor so that the total number of hits absorbed by armor is equal to the "Armor Strength" box on the F5 window.
<...>
John
Seconded.  I like this. 

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
Perhaps as a way to make electronic hardening be of more use than solely against microwave weapons it could reduce jump point sensor blindness by a small amount? Say like a second or two per rank of electronic hardening. Inspiration came from reading the intant mine field exploit dusscussed in http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3703.0.html

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #531 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
I would like to see more pre-space civilizations on planets that are in the blue zone, I think we should encounter these civilization more regularly at different stage of their evolution, rather then planets with a probably for of planet and animals but not much else.

It would mean more decisions for the player when deciding to conquer a planet and take the population or wiping out the planet and killing its populace.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #532 on: July 26, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »
I would like to see more pre-space civilizations on planets that are in the blue zone, I think we should encounter these civilization more regularly at different stage of their evolution, rather then planets with a probably for of planet and animals but not much else.

It would mean more decisions for the player when deciding to conquer a planet and take the population or wiping out the planet and killing its populace.

Last time I checked Steve had not added conventional NPR's to the game, nor have I encountered any.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #533 on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
^^ ok i know Biology is a bit of a stepchild in this game but i would like to see if you could find "corpses" in ruins which could be "researched" and turned into something you can produce at GM-centers.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #534 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Last time I checked Steve had not added conventional NPR's to the game, nor have I encountered any.
I have run into a race that did not have spacecraft at all, the tech was very limited, so I had assumed it was in.

So if pre-spacecraft alien do not exist can we please add

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #535 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
I have run into a race that did not have spacecraft at all, the tech was very limited, so I had assumed it was in.

So if pre-spacecraft alien do not exist can we please add

there are NPRs that have only population and low tech infantry/armour. They have no tech and no construction points to build or mine anything. Think Steve put them in so people could get a taste of ground combat and planetary subjugation.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #536 on: July 27, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »
So my suggestion is still is the same I would like to see more of them, especially on planet with 1 to 0 rating with liquid as this give a high probability of life.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #537 on: July 28, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
New suggestion is another research line, it could be put under biology/material sciences

Currently we can put automated mines, set survey teams down on 700 degree planets

I think we should have somewhere you can only do this if you build sufficient tech capable, I suggest a temperate based material science addition to biology, which would then make it a more useful research field.

You start of with current ability to withstand cold and heat, and then research further into the field which will unlock planet access to inner and outer planets

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #538 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:33 AM »
New suggestion is another research line, it could be put under biology/material sciences

Currently we can put automated mines, set survey teams down on 700 degree planets

I think we should have somewhere you can only do this if you build sufficient tech capable, I suggest a temperate based material science addition to biology, which would then make it a more useful research field.

You start of with current ability to withstand cold and heat, and then research further into the field which will unlock planet access to inner and outer planets

Same as many good strategy games like as SpaceEmpires..u cant setup colony everywhere before completion of research in right field

Apologize my funny english:)

hope am understandable..

Am know little English..only few Admiral Command "guys! we never fails!"..."Gunny! open fire when show an UFO!"..and so on..

"breack the glass in case of fire". ive put onto ships wall-near ships windows...(ghgh)

Srry..am a CrazyItalianOne

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #539 on: July 29, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
Full of ideas this week.

The biggest area which is a minor disappointment with aurora is there ground combat phase, there is very little interaction you can do with your units. Now understanding that creating something as advanced as the space game is out of the question 1) Because it then would detract from the main points and 2) The code that would be need is another game in itself.

So I been thinking of some idea to enhance ground combat without making it too complexed.

Rock paper scissors is the most simplistic strategy game that I know of, many games revolve around this concept as well as many life principles.

My idea is to add simple elements in the ground combat, the could enhance or detract from a ground combat point phase.

A SOE for ground combat, this drop down box could have against each unit, or simplified even more against each HQ a number of choices such as.

- Mobile Operations
- Static Defence
- Bombardment Operations

Idea 1: Variations so not to go with the heavy armoured or marine unit every time
These choices will enhance and decrease a unit attacking or defensive abilities, and different units have different amplifiers. For instance straight leg infantry may have a 2.0x on static defence for defence and .5 x on attack. Meaning if the opposing unit was to attack then you could see greater losses on a defensive stage. But if the alternate unit was on bombardment operations then you would a lower defence rating and a high attack rating.

Idea 2: Rock Paper Scissors
You could also look at it another way and simplify it even still and compare the opposing forces strategy and apply modifiers based on this.

Where Mobile operations beat Bombardment, Bombardment beats Static Defence, and Static beat Mobile Operations.

Idea 3: Battle Card Layout
I am not sure how the battles are currently worked out between two opposing sides, but to me it seems like a point stack, I would suggest something a little different.

A simple card game style process, a brigade attack a brigade ever 5 days, each have 4 units, the computer assigns the three best defensive units for attacking units based on the TOE in the line and hold one in reserve, the opposing force lines up its units in a similar fashion. The battle then takes place and wounds are best on the attack and defence of the various units.
If a player only has two units in his front line, then 1/2 the attacking or defensive points from the unit beside it add to the total of the middle unit battle.

You can amplify this with multiple brigades, if there is only one brigade left on one side and ten on the other, it still is a brigade v brigade fight. Because in reality regardless on number a small unit can only hold the same frontage it is attacked on, the difference will be they will not be reinforce and will eventually dissolve by numbers.

I really hope Steve read this cause with a little abstract programming around this it could really make colony attacks a little more exciting. A combination of the three ideas would be best, but even one of the three idea would enhance the ground combat phase

I would also like to see a new unit added which is Air support, which takes as much space as a engineer brigade has a low defence but huge attack.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:22:45 PM by ardem »