Author Topic: 2.0 Bugs  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2007, 04:03:30 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
I ran in to this problem recently.  On the F5 screen, class design, if you put in a fractional value for the range the program locks up.  I have even left it running for an hour and it was still locked up.  The only way to get out was through the task manager.

Assuming you mean the field in the Range Bands section, I can't recreate this one. The value is stored as soon as you enter it but it is stored as non-fractional data so the fraction can't be causing the problem. Which means I am looking at the wrong field or some other factor is at work.

If it is the right field, does this happen every time and for any fractional value, or was it for a particular number?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Our New Gallicite Deep Diving Suits!
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2007, 04:05:59 PM »
Quote from: "Centerfed"
I've noticed that the Terrans maximum pressure (atm) on the View Race Details page has jumped to 60(!).  Even editing it and saving does not perminently change that number.  Apparently, the Terrans all found sea diving armor fashionable for casual wear.   8)

EDIT: Just noticed that when I try to change the atmosphere pressure of 60 to some other number, it changes the Terran's xenophobia to that number instead.  Changing the xenophobia value does not seem to change anything at all.  I think that the Terrans original xeno was 60, so that is certainly where it got the number originally.

This is a separate problem which I have encountered myself. I have already corrected it for v2.1 but I think it was caused when you saved the race details.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Our New Gallicite Deep Diving Suits!
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "Centerfed"
I had a problem trying out Planetary Markets involving the main race (Terran Federation) and a single planet NPR generated and contacted.

Just to clarify a couple of things. Three mineral trades went OK but on the fourth you got an error referring to missiles, not minerals. Now you get errors every time you try to sell missiles. Some questions

Can you remember which mineral type caused the original problem?
Do you still have problems with minerals as well as missiles?
If so, is it only specific mineral types?

Steve

Offline Centerfed

• Petty Officer
  • C
(No subject)
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2007, 11:30:09 PM »
Steve Walmsley wrote:

Centerfed wrote:
I had a problem trying out Planetary Markets involving the main race (Terran Federation) and a single planet NPR generated and contacted.

Just to clarify a couple of things. Three mineral trades went OK but on the fourth you got an error referring to missiles, not minerals. Now you get errors every time you try to sell missiles. Some questions

Can you remember which mineral type caused the original problem?

I just checked the event log to jog my memory.  Seems I was trying to trade 8 minerals, but Aurora had the problem with the fifth one.  The last two I manualy had the Skok withdraw later from the offer list since I was seeing troubles.  Those two were still on the list until I removed them.

To clarify, the problem is affecting minerals *and* missiles.  In the initial trade attempt which sparked the errors, I was not attempting to trade missiles.

Though it looked like (on the event log) the first several mineral trades went ok before the error, I am not sure if they really went through because of mining.

Where are traded minerals supposed to show up for the race that bought them?  At the trading post on the planet?  If so, then *none* of the trades actually went through as the Trading Post on Skokus still has ZERO minerals.

Just checked the Skok.  None of the minerals that were supposed to have been traded were removed from their population with the exception of Tritanium.  The difference between their current and recent stockpiles addes up to the amount of the attempted trade.

Do you still have problems with minerals as well as missiles?

Yes.  Clicking minerals or missiles in Planetary Markets starts the errors I mentioned before.  Avoiding Planetary Markets altogether seems to avoid all but the weird xenophobia and atmosphere tolerance values for the Terrans.

If so, is it only specific mineral types?
Steve

Negative.  The Planetary Market errors are when clicking 'minerals' or 'missiles'.  I cannot even get to the specifics.

HD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Centerfed »
"What's the matter, Colonel Sanders?  Chicken?"  -D. Helmet, Spaceball One

"Prepare...er...Prepare ship for ludicrous speed!" -Col. Sanders, Spaceball One

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
Steve wrote:
I have encountered this one as well. Its another example of the problems with the 'single' data type. In this case the amount of lab components is added directly from one 'single' database field to another. Access doesn't have have a similar Currency data type to VB6, which is far more precise, so this is resulting in the rounding problem that I have mostly squished in the VB code. To correct the problem I am converting the values to a Currency data type in VB before recording the new totals in the database. So far it seems to be working.

Steve

Unless you consider the "Currency" datatype in Access... :wink:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
Quote from: "Randy"
Unless you consider the "Currency" datatype in Access... :-)

Which is also 15 digits in front of decimal and 4 digits after decimal.

Have you tried selecting Currency under "DataType" rather than "Number" as data type? (With Number as type, Currency is not an option in the "Field Size" list; but Currency is available in the Data Type list...)

I looked at the Currency data type in Access in the past but everything appears in the database with dollar signs and two fixed decimal places (ignoring anything more). If there was a way around that, it would be worth switching (which there probably is - I'll start looking through the help and options).

Steve

Offline Pete_Keller

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • P
(No subject)
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Randy"
Unless you consider the "Currency" datatype in Access... :-)

Which is also 15 digits in front of decimal and 4 digits after decimal.

Have you tried selecting Currency under "DataType" rather than "Number" as data type? (With Number as type, Currency is not an option in the "Field Size" list; but Currency is available in the Data Type list...)
I looked at the Currency data type in Access in the past but everything appears in the database with dollar signs and two fixed decimal places (ignoring anything more). If there was a way around that, it would be worth switching (which there probably is - I'll start looking through the help and options).

Steve

Steve,

Set datatype to currency, and format to general number.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Pete_Keller »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
Quote from: "Pete_Keller"
Set datatype to currency, and format to general number.

Aha! I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks very much! I see a long, tedious but worthwhile update of the database in the near future :)

Steve

Offline Pete_Keller

• P
(No subject)
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2007, 07:28:27 AM »
Aha! I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks very much! I see a long, tedious but worthwhile update of the database in the near future :twisted:

Pete

Offline Pete_Keller

• P
(No subject)
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »
I have 3 bugs in the one game I am running.

1)  I have a game where there are 2 races, mine and a NPC, if I am have selected the NPC as default race, and am in the System Map screen, and select the diplomacy button.  The program throws an error. The title bar just says "Aurora", the error is Run Time Error '6': Overflow.  The program closes when I acknowledge the error.

The error also occurs if I select Diplomacy from the main menu.  The choice of  SM mode does not affect the error.  The Diplomacy function works fine with the Player Race.

2)  When you start the galactic map, and every time you resize it, you get the following error "Error in Display Systems" Error 5 was generated by Aurora.  Invalid Procedure Call or Argument.

This error only occurs as the Player Character (Multiple Systems).  The single system NPC does not get the error.

3)  On the Galactic Map, one of my systems shows a fleet.  However, on the OOB page, no fleet shows up.  And looking at all the ships, none appear to be in the system.

I have compacted and archived my database if you would like to get it to troubleshoot.

Pete

Offline Pete_Keller

• P
(No subject)
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »
Follow up to error #2 in my last post.

I have fixed it.  I noticed that one of the system names was not being displayed on the galactic map. so I renamed the system and it no longer throws the error.

Pete

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
population increment error
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
The populations on any planet but earth is increasing for haverty naturally. Earth is staying put at 252.9234 m. even if i try to adjust it using the SM mode. No other race is affected by this on earth. The republic and Imperium are increasing naturally and can have pop added through SM mode. Ideas anyone?
I change the pop in SM mode, close the economics screen, and the pop change is reflected on the economics screen when I reopen it. It defaults back to the 252.9234 when I hit the next 5 or 30 day increment. The pop does not get reset on a 1 day increment.

On a hunch, I changed the pop, closed the program, restarted the program, noted that the adj pop was still there so It is being saved. Tehn I did a 5 day advance and the pop was reset again to 252 m. This is frustrating. :evil:

I can lower the pop successfully, it just won't go above 252.9234.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Haegan2005 »

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
Re: population increment error
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »
Quote from: "Haegan2005"
The populations on any planet but earth is increasing for haverty naturally. Earth is staying put at 252.9234 m. even if i try to adjust it using the SM mode. No other race is affected by this on earth. The republic and Imperium are increasing naturally and can have pop added through SM mode. Ideas anyone?
I change the pop in SM mode, close the economics screen, and the pop change is reflected on the economics screen when I reopen it. It defaults back to the 252.9234 when I hit the next 5 or 30 day increment. The pop does not get reset on a 1 day increment.

On a hunch, I changed the pop, closed the program, restarted the program, noted that the adj pop was still there so It is being saved. Tehn I did a 5 day advance and the pop was reset again to 252 m. This is frustrating. :shock:  Hmm. Maybe I can storyboard a reason for a 50 mil pop jump?

I can lower the pop successfully, it just won't go above 252.9234.

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
galactic map
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »
I am getting an error 5 when the map first loads and an error on every redraw when I try to move around the map or to select a system.

error in displaysystems

error 5 was generated by Aurora
Invalid procedure call or arguement

I hit OK then I am fine until I touch the map again. New systems show up fine and the other three empires are not having this problem. Could it be linked to the low star mass problem that you had before? I ended up deleting the resulting empty unlinked system and that is when this problem reared its ugly head.

I do not want to end this campaign just because I'm frustrated by my inability to use this map easily because of the error it generates whenever I try to use it. The Havertian empire is just too large for me to remember where everything is without this map.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: galactic map
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
Quote from: "Haegan2005"
I am getting an error 5 when the map first loads and an error on every redraw when I try to move around the map or to select a system.

error in displaysystems

error 5 was generated by Aurora
Invalid procedure call or arguement

I hit OK then I am fine until I touch the map again. New systems show up fine and the other three empires are not having this problem. Could it be linked to the low star mass problem that you had before? I ended up deleting the resulting empty unlinked system and that is when this problem reared its ugly head.

I do not want to end this campaign just because I'm frustrated by my inability to use this map easily because of the error it generates whenever I try to use it. The Havertian empire is just too large for me to remember where everything is without this map.

Although a lot has changed since v2.0, I don't think the galactic map has changed much so its probably worth sending me the database to see if I can run it with the v2.6 exe and find and remove the error. If the DB is very large, make sure you compact it first using the option the Misc menu (and back it up before you compact just in case).

Steve