Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.14 or later (inc Spoiler)  (Read 12415 times)

Offline iamlenb

• Petty Officer
  • i
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.14 or later (inc Spoile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »
As requested by Steve, something to do with warheads and missiles...

Shifting Gears
- oh, for the ability to step down a missile drive to interoperate with other missile launches

Tractoring a buoy
- you all know you want this.  One buoy per tractor.  Move that minefield around if you messed up the placement.

Warp capable drone bodies -
They go through and release submunitions once they arrive.  Not guaranteed to arrive intact.  I can see some fun with a WP buoy picket that tosses WP capable second stages BACK through the WP and releases a minefield/laser WH/jack-in-the-box on the other side right on top of the assault force as a delicious countermeasure

Microwave Warhead
- generates a Microwave pulse, like the X-Ray Lasers make flashy lights.  Stop that runaway Corvette in it's Tracks.  Kill the Active Sensor on that scout.  Should include the stereotypical *ding* sound effect when it goes off.

Cloaking Warhead
- Cloaking vs various signals, thermal, EM, etc.  Lowers the range at which MFC can lock for anti-PD purposes and range at which your contact signal can be detected, somewhat like ECM and cloaking already, but affecting an area, capability and range determined by MP spent.  Seed them through your task group on drone bodies, on buoys at WPs, or tractor them for extra ninja fun.

Tagging Warhead
- nail one of these limpets on a contact and track em on passives.  Tag a neutral/ally with a known hostile active transponder in "friendly territory" and watch the ensuing fireworks *I'd like to suggest contact profiling included with this suggestion, so this isn't an instagib - should have to match thermal and EM output by boosting the contact signal, which of course is also rated in max boost with MP spent, match mass and not exceed known class specs.

Bait Warhead
- Puts out a fake contact signature, EM/Therm/Shield/Mass, all rated in MP.  Rockets off in a different direction to let your outgunned TG run for the WP while the enemies chase it down.  Lay down a buoy and make em THINK you're lying in wait.  Generate fake buddies coming to the rescue.  Random chance that the foe takes the bait

PD Warhead
- for AM purposes.  Put it on a missile body and launch an AM salvo, it'll go off like a CIWS in the second stage if it's in range of an enemy missile.  Stick it in a buoy, and watch it interdict salvo after salvo of enemy missiles.

Painting Warhead
- No, not for interstellar paintball.  Very small active transmitter on which follow up salvos will home then speed match, right into detonation range of the Paint warhead target.  Allows Forward Observer shooting - Stealthy McScouty tosses a Painter at Mister Target, and the whole taskgroup fires too, generating a HUGE salvo.  Perfect if we can gear missile drive speeds either prelaunch or have missiles with enough AI to match speeds once entrained.  Sadly, should cause loss of entire salvo if destroyed enroute.  Requires active missile targeting from Paint shooter, or sufficient sensor package to be fire n forget.

Anti-Personnel Warhead
- For when you just don't feel like picking up lifepods.  Huge range on detonation...  Kills Pods dead.

Hypermissile/Hyperdrone engines
- for when you are playing around outside the Hyperlimit.  .999 c missiles!

Jarhead Warhead
- gets into range then shoots Marines at the enemy.  Uses an embarked Marine Company/Marine Battalion readiness rating as an additional ammo source.  Best for Boarding combat, but I can see much fun with this in Planetary Assaults - should be rated for max atmospheric penetration.

Thanks for reading, feedback happily acknowledged, flames sadly ignored.
Len

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2010, 07:39:39 AM »
Steve -

I would like a "Nebula Systems Only" check box on the game creation screen, along the lines of the "Known Systems" check box.  

Obviously, if the nebula systems only box is checked then every system generated would be a nebula system.

Just something I've been thinking about.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
Hi,
A minor thing, but it would be quite helpful in the Filter Events list if there were a textual indication of whether a given event type were hidden or not.
I'm sure there are a few other areas where a similar principle would apply but can't think of them off hand.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
Hidden?
Like, if it was SM view or just you?

Would also allow to play with designs before researching tech only to find out that one weapon you just happen to use a dozen of is one hullsize to big and the fleet speed would drop by 500, or that you used the wrong capacitor.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Nope, hidden as in "I won't see events of this kind in the Events Window."

Offline Caplin

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
Hi,
For consistency, it would be nice if the ordnance/fighters tab of the ship design window allowed use of alt+a in the same way the design view does.
Similarly,  if possible consistent keyboard shortcuts in other places would be appreciated.
Some windows are closeable with alt+c for close, but others are not.
More keyboard shortcuts would be in general a good thing.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Quote from: "dooots"
Limit the resource modifier for home world resources to greater then or equal to 1.  Did a conventional start and only had 10k neutronium and mercassium and didn't find any in system.  I know conventional starts are supposed to be harder but that seems to be a bit extreme for a game where you only start with 1 shipyard and 5 research labs.
The Abundance Modifier for a Sol Start is always set to 1. If you do have a really bad start, you can use the HW Minerals button in the SM functions section on the F9 system view window to generate a new set of random minerals for your homeworld. Make sure you are in SM mode, open the F9 window, select your homeworld and press HW Minerals

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
Quote from: "zkline"
Hi,
A minor thing, but it would be quite helpful in the Filter Events list if there were a textual indication of whether a given event type were hidden or not.
I'm sure there are a few other areas where a similar principle would apply but can't think of them off hand.
I have added a preceding (H) to the Filter Events list for any events that are hidden.

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
From the new ammo management thread in Mechanics:

Add the ability to define multiple "named" loadouts for ship classes.  This would be especially useful for colliers, which need different loadouts according to the weapons mix and threat environment of the fleets they're accompanying.

John

PS - This is an old suggestion from a while back... bringing it up now because you're working in the ammo code now.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 04:55:51 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
From the new ammo management thread in Mechanics:

Add the ability to define multiple "named" loadouts for ship classes.  This would be especially useful for colliers, which need different loadouts according to the weapons mix and threat environment of the fleets they're accompanying.

John

PS - This is an old suggestion from a while back... bringing it up now because you're working in the ammo code now.
UP UP for me!
+1

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »
WINDOWS: F2,economic,COLONY LIST

Interesting thing: make list "for Planetary Systems Colony" only (same as "Fuel" selections windows

When u have 100000 colony..hw u can found a Systems colonyes?

Select a "SINGLE" Systems and so u can show all Colonyes inside them for better management.

e.g.: display Mass driver and Mining colony,for send asap minerals where needed..etc.etc..

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:42 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"

Interesting thing: make list "for Planetary Systems Colony" only (same as "Fuel" selections windows

Select a "SINGLE" Systems and so u can show all Colonyes inside them for better management.

e.g.: display Mass driver and Mining colony,for send asap minerals where needed..etc.etc..
So some kind of nested tree arrangement with systems(or maybe sectors) as the top level?  Sounds like it might be useful.
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
One of my officers just got awarded her 10th medal; however, the medals awarded section of the Commanders window only shows 9 medals and does not scroll.  Any chance of a scroll bar please?
Welchbloke

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "waresky"

So some kind of nested tree arrangement with systems(or maybe sectors) as the top level?  Sounds like it might be useful.
TY v.MUCH Welch ma friend!!

ur translation give a right idea what am mean....:S
ma english sometimes r absolutely not funny..

YES..this features was,are,IS, very USEFUL!!!

wilddog5

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
construction ship alteration and making JP's colonys

Rather than having jump gate construction ships to build just jump gates alow them to build any ship just like a mobile shipyard.

This could be done by making a gate cost say 1800 Build Points (BP) and scaling the construction rate to match the build rate of the current gate construction modules eg 180 day would become 10 BP per day and a 10 day would become 180 BP per day. (Bit fast but this is for ease of understanding)

The ship yard part is to alow the construction of habitat stations around other planets, you send materal to the planet and the construction ships get to work.

Unlike the ship yards they should have no requirement for retooling or a construction (size of ship that can be built) limit but should be much slower to build ships and stations, To compensate for the lower speed they should alow mutiple construction ships to work on a single project.
This could be done so that the total amount of shipyard construction rate is a total of the construction ships BP amount devided by the number of ships being built. example below.

[center:1pgblz79]construction ships        1          Ships being built         1               time to build (years) 10

construction ships         10         Ships being built        1                time to build (years) 1

construction ships        10          Ships being built        2                 time to build (years) 5[/center:1pgblz79]

(sory for the B U but I could not get the formating right)

I know that the lack of tonnage limit and retooling can be abused but i think that the lower speed and the higher cost of construction ships compared to a shipyard (plus the fact that you need a shipyard to build them) would limit this to the production of stations and prototype/emergancy ship construction

making JP colonys

im not sure if this is a good idea my intent of this idea was to make it so that you could use habitats to build a construction and matinence facility for JP defences and stations and mabe foating massdrivers to alow the transport of materals but i think the removal of the industry tab and the other relevent tabs just for this type of colony not realy worth it. The whole reasion I thought of this was I could see this being done in real life if the transnew tech was avalable and JPs where real. (shrugs)

feal free to expand on these ideas

thank you for reading and have a nice day/night