Author Topic: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread  (Read 22196 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
I'm seeing the cycling 222, 224, 2339, 2608 errors (all Object reference not set to an instance of the object) on transiting an unexplored jump point (this looks to be linked to NPR generation, and goes back to at least 1.7.3).  1.9.4 installation, TN start on 1.9.3 or 1.9.4 (can't remember offhand), nothing particularly exotic going on.  I did move the save from one computer to another, but I've had no other issues, and I deleted the database instead of pasting over.

Real stars, less than a year into the campaign.

Oh, and one other thing.  After I got through the errors (took quite a while), I noticed that the oxygen percentage on the probable planet was 31.69%, which puts it into the "dangerous atmosphere" region, IIRC.  Not sure if that's related or not.
Do you have a DB where you can reproduce the errors? If yes, could you make a new post with it attached and also name which system(s) are causing the issue(s), please.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
You can massively cheat on ground unit construction time by modifying a ground unit formation template after starting an order.

The window affected: Ground forces/formation templates
What you were doing at the time: see below
Is your decimal separator a comma?: No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: Easy
The rest: N/A
  • Create a formation template (e.g. Battalion) with one unit, e.g. a light vehicle with some weapon
  • Order a bunch of these battalions, which are very cheap and have a build time of only a few days.
  • Add a few hundred expensive units to the battalion, increasing the build points massively
  • The battalion is still completed after a few days, since it builds what the template is currently, not what was initially ordered.
Expected behaviour: Since Formation templates unlike ships classes are not directly linked to the units, modifying a template should not affect units already in training. The game should remember the composition of the unit when it was initially ordered and create units based on that template at the end of the training period.
I assume this goes under "cheating in solitaire" but it can be done by accident as well so I'm moving it for Steve to decide.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »
I'm seeing the cycling 222, 224, 2339, 2608 errors (all Object reference not set to an instance of the object) on transiting an unexplored jump point (this looks to be linked to NPR generation, and goes back to at least 1.7.3).  1.9.4 installation, TN start on 1.9.3 or 1.9.4 (can't remember offhand), nothing particularly exotic going on.  I did move the save from one computer to another, but I've had no other issues, and I deleted the database instead of pasting over.

Oh, and one other thing.  After I got through the errors (took quite a while), I noticed that the oxygen percentage on the probable planet was 31.69%, which puts it into the "dangerous atmosphere" region, IIRC.  Not sure if that's related or not.
Do you have a DB where you can reproduce the errors? If yes, could you make a new post with it attached and also name which system(s) are causing the issue(s), please.
Not really.  It happened on transit into an unexplored jump point, which subsequently turned out to have a habitable planet and an NPR.  I suspect that the error was somewhere in the code for generating that.  I've since jumped into the system with no problems.  If the database would be helpful, I can post it, but it's obviously not something I can reproduce on demand.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »

Not really.  It happened on transit into an unexplored jump point, which subsequently turned out to have a habitable planet and an NPR.  I suspect that the error was somewhere in the code for generating that.  I've since jumped into the system with no problems.  If the database would be helpful, I can post it, but it's obviously not something I can reproduce on demand.

The Database can be useful as steve can see if he can find any code around that, that may be the issue, but if not then I suggest either trying to reproduce it and if you cant then this is enough aka making steve aware so if it pops up again.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2020, 01:06:52 PM »
Version 1.9.4.
Version - 1.9.4
The function number - 3248
The complete error text - "The given key was not present in the dictionary"
The window affected - All
What you were doing at the time - starting Aurora
Is your decimal separator a comma? - no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - easy to reproduce

I had upgraded to 1.9.4 successfully and played off and on for a couple of days, last night I saved the game (which took a while) and closed.  Today I went to restart the game and got the error message.  I assume that something did not get saved correctly?

No work around found yet,

never mind, the system map just opened in the time it took me to prepare this post.  my game is as I saved it. 

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
The function number - Not Applicable
The complete error text - Not Applicable
The window affected - Economics Window, Summary Tab & Commanders Window
What you were doing at the time - Just playing as usual, nothing out of the ordinary.
Conventional or TN start - Conventional
Random or Real Stars - Random
Is your decimal separator a comma? - Nope.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - Should be super easy to reproduce.

This produced in v1.9.4 with a 1.9.3 save that was carried over.

--- I believe it is a display bug, but I cannot confirm at this time. I happened upon this bug during the course of normal play. Upon assigning an administrator to my Sector Command, specifically the Sol Sector, the Sector Governor in the Summary Tab of the Economics Window fails to display them as such. The Commanders Window confirms that they are, in fact, the commander of the Sector. To reproduce this bug, simply assign an administrator to a Sector Command, simplicity itself.

--- Upon a little bit of further testing, it seems this is not merely a display bug. The original administrator possessed no bonuses, but when I assigned another commander who did have bonuses, they failed to be applied along with the new administrator failing to be shown as the Sector Governor. This is despite the Commanders Window showing that them as being assigned to the Sol Sector.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »

The Database can be useful as steve can see if he can find any code around that, that may be the issue, but if not then I suggest either trying to reproduce it and if you cant then this is enough aka making steve aware so if it pops up again.
I've attached the database.  Not sure what I can do to reproduce it other than exploring a lot of systems, which I was already doing for other reasons.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2020, 01:26:30 PM »
The window affected - Economics Window, Summary Tab & Commanders Window
What you were doing at the time - Just playing as usual, nothing out of the ordinary.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - Should be super easy to reproduce.

--- I believe it is a display bug, but I cannot confirm at this time. I happened upon this bug during the course of normal play. Upon assigning an administrator to my Sector Command, specifically the Sol Sector, the Sector Governor in the Summary Tab of the Economics Window fails to display them as such. The Commanders Window confirms that they are, in fact, the commander of the Sector. To reproduce this bug, simply assign an administrator to a Sector Command, simplicity itself.

--- Upon a little bit of further testing, it seems this is not merely a display bug. The original administrator possessed no bonuses, but when I assigned another commander who did have bonuses, they failed to be applied along with the new administrator failing to be shown as the Sector Governor. This is despite the Commanders Window showing that them as being assigned to the Sol Sector.
This probably isn't a bug.  Even the system the sector HQ is in doesn't automatically assign to the sector.  Make sure it's assigned in the sector window and see if that fixes it.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Are standing orders supposed to override manual ones? I told a ship to refuel from a tanker rather than a colony and I have to turn off the standing order to make that happen.

I think this is WAI because manual orders could potentially leave a ship unable to perform the standing orders. I have a vague memory of Steve stating something like that but cannot find the post. If anyone can prove otherwise I'll report it as a bug.
IIRC, conditional orders need to clear the command list.  Standing orders are what the ship is supposed to do when it has no other orders.  In particular, if standing orders clear the list then you can't have both standing and conditional orders set because the conditional order will override the standing order when it fires instead of the other way around.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
Version: 1.9.4
The function number: N/A
The complete error text: N/a
The window affected: Tactical, technically
What you were doing at the time: Attempting to lay a minefield, with a second hostile player race as targets
Conventional or TN start: TN start
Random or Real Stars: Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?: No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: Easy to reproduce

Problems are as follows: Any viable method of launching the mine results in it either discharging its submunition instantly or choosing an unhelpful target that ruins its ability to act as a mine. "Launch ready ordinance" produces this behavior, as well as launching using the fire control (targeting a waypoint).

When given the waypoint itself as a target or no target is given, the mine seems to pick the first available known target in system, regardless of whether or not it's in range (in the DB provided, moving the martian target fleet away from the mines' range and then launching a new one will have the freshly launched mines target XX Target 001). The mine will deploy as normal if that particular target enters range, but will ignore all others that come close. In fact, it seems that this will happen even if that first possible target isn't even detected.

Giving the mines a target that is beyond release distance results in them not discharging, but since their target cannot be changed, this means they will never fire at targets of opportunity as a mine should. The DB provided has some mines in this state for demonstration.

Forum attachments don't seem to agree with my internet connection for large files

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »
The window affected - Class Design & Naval Organization Windows
What you were doing at the time - Deliberately testing the functionality of the Designs mentioned.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - The bug can be reproduced by building the designs included and attempting to unload colonists at a location w/o a Cargo Shuttle Station or Spaceport.

--- Fighters are supposed to be able to load / off-load their Cargo w/o the use of Cargo Shuttles. Even after converting the Angel-Class Cryo Trays to a Fighter in the Class Design window, they were unable to offload their cargo. I tested this with Mercury, starting w/o any colony already built and no Infra, then I tested it again after creating a blank colony. It still did not work, so I added 0.5 Million colonists and 312 Infrastructure, enough to house 1 million Colonists. No luck. These parameters were all tried both with the designs included in the Off-Topics below and with the Cryo Trays adjusted so that they displayed the "This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction" message in the Class Design Window.
*DB included in the attachments.

The Colony Ship:
Off-Topic: show
Heaven class Colony Ship (P)      500 tons       9 Crew       58.8 BP       TCS 10    TH 3    EM 0
250 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 1/1/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 37.95 Years     MSP 124    AFR 3%    IFR 0.0%    1YR 0    5YR 3    Max Repair 18 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 125 tons     
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3.1 months    Flight Crew Berths 20    Morale Check Required   

UESI Experimental High Output Lifter (2)    Power 2.5    Fuel Use 552.43%    Signature 1.25    Explosion 12%
Fuel Capacity 31,000 Litres    Range 2 billion km (93 days at full power)

UESI Experimental Planetary Scanner (1)     GPS 2     Range 1.8m km    MCR 194.3k km    Resolution 1
UESI Experimental System Body Scanner (1)     GPS 1000     Range 14.2m km    Resolution 500
UESI Experimental Sensor Calibration System (TH Module) (1)     Sensitivity 1.0     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  7.9m km
UESI Experimental Sensor Calibration System (EM Module) (1)     Sensitivity 1.0     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  7.9m km

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction```
And the Cryo Tray that holds the actual Colonists.
```Angel class Cryo Tray      125 tons       5 Crew       18.1 BP       TCS 2    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 151    Max Repair 10 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 200   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Fuel Capacity 1,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

The "Cryo Tray":
Off-Topic: show
Angel class Cryo Tray      125 tons       5 Crew       18.1 BP       TCS 2    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 151    Max Repair 10 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 200   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Fuel Capacity 1,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
Are standing orders supposed to override manual ones? I told a ship to refuel from a tanker rather than a colony and I have to turn off the standing order to make that happen.

I think this is WAI because manual orders could potentially leave a ship unable to perform the standing orders. I have a vague memory of Steve stating something like that but cannot find the post. If anyone can prove otherwise I'll report it as a bug.
IIRC, conditional orders need to clear the command list.  Standing orders are what the ship is supposed to do when it has no other orders.  In particular, if standing orders clear the list then you can't have both standing and conditional orders set because the conditional order will override the standing order when it fires instead of the other way around.

Sounds like I mixed them up then, will revisit tomorrow unless one of the other mods do.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
Confirming what @byron suggested has fixed the Sector Command issue. Cheers!

Offline alex123700a

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
In a new system I discovered some asteroids were generated inside the star. 

Offline Chrisianak

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
Was gonna say what Garfunkel said. I thought that might be the issue as it will just reset if you don't use default fleet.

1.  Civilian colony ships do not respect max body population.  Will cause overcrowding if you don't manually set to source or stable.
2.  Orbital Habitats will likewise continue to grow even when max pop+hab capacity<pop, causing overcrowding.
3.  Civilian fleets show up in instant build drop-down for ship classes.

The function number-N/A
The complete error text-N/A
The window affected-N/A
What you were doing at the time - Testing population and civilian trading mechanics.  LG infrastructure is now traded, yay!
Conventional or TN start - TN
Random or Real Stars - Real
Is your decimal separator a comma? - 1,000.00
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Reproducible
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well - less than 75
As far as I'm aware this is WAI. They will respect your wishes if you go to the Economics-Civilian Economy tab and put the colony as Stable.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  These are three separate issues. 
1.  Civilian shipping ignoring max body pop may be WAI, requiring you to manually turn off colonist transfer.  Can catch people by surprise when overcrowding penalties start to accrue.  Might cause confusion with the two separate sources of overcrowding (infra and max pop)
2.  Separately from the above, natural population growth in a colony with orbital habitats will cause overcrowding.
3.   Completely separate thing that I noticed when spawning in the Orbital Hab, Civilian fleets show up in instant build drop-down for ship classes.

While I have seen some talk about whether 1 is WAI, what about 2 and 3?  The orbital habitat issue could easily cripple a colony on a small body with overcrowding with no means to deal with it short of spamming police or finding a way to sink the extra colonist growth.  3 is a minor issue but is presumably a bug.