Author Topic: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread  (Read 22226 times)

Offline crispiboiz

• Leading Rate
  • c
Re: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
The function number: NA
The complete error text : NA
The window affected : Sector Management
What you were doing at the time :
Construct sector command at Earth, move via civilian shipping to a colony in a system out of range from Sol.  New Sector command is not created in Sector Management window
I was able to fix this by SM deleting and re-adding to the distant colony.  When doing this the new sector is available in the sector management window.

I am unsure if this is sort of intended, but bugged as well, because the old wiki states that sector commands cannot be transported.  hxxp: aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=Sector_Command

Conventional or TN start : TN
Random or Real Stars : Real stars
Is your decimal separator a comma? No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Easy
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well. About 72 years in.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
The function number: N/A
The complete error text: N/A
The window affected: Create Project, missile design, turrets design
What you were doing at the time: NA
Conventional or TN start: NA
Random or Real Stars: NA
Is your decimal separator a comma: No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off: easy
If this is a long campaign: ~NA

There is no instant button when you still have starting RP point if you are not in SM mode. Also using that instant button does not remove the corresponding number of RP points.
As this button is present in the research tab when you have RP points remaining, the same should be true for these three windows as well

Could possibly be WAI, but not sure so posting for Steve to have a look.

Offline Htamos

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:23 AM »
The function number: multiple
The complete error text: multiple
The window affected: "Game Information"
What you were doing at the time: starting new game, going out of it with the "X" button
Conventional or TN start: Conventional
Random or Real Stars: Real Stars
Is the bug easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off: easy
If this is a long campaign: ~10 years

Game-breaking.
I just wanted to see over the new game settings, so i clicked under "Game Information" on "new game"
Instead of starting a new game i closed with the "X" button.
Was getting tons of errors and after reloading, my save has completely resetted back to the start.
This looks to me, as if the game wrote new game settings over a existing save.
Was able to replicate it.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2020, 08:08:37 AM »
The function number: 1690
The complete error text:
1.9.4 Function #1690: Value to add was out of range.

Parameter name: value
The window affected: Main window
What you were doing at the time: Being bombed to death (i strongly suspect this is related to my political modifier being reduced as it started around then)
Conventional or TN start: Conventional
Random or Real Stars: Random
Is your decimal separator a comma?: No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: It is happening every increment for me
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: 45 year campaign so far (year is 2060)

I am using custom portraits, so I stowed my whole game here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/85l7jm7youh31hf/aurora_c%2523_1.94.zip/file

Additional note: This save was brought forward from 1.93

Thanks for the reminder, moved to confirmed now.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:22 AM »
Colony ships do not respect maximum # of items on loading. 
To duplicate: create a colony ship with 100,000 capacity.  Issue a load order for 5 colonists.  The colony ship will be filled to capacity.

The function number  N/A
The complete error text N/A
The window affected Naval Organization
What you were doing at the time: loading colonists specifying # of items max
Conventional or TN start: TN
Random or Real Stars: real
Is your decimal separator a comma?: no
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well - First day of the campaign

Moved to confirmed.

The following users thanked this post: bankshot

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »
Visual bug - renaming an alien race's Known Ship Class (with the "Rename Class" button in the "Intelligence and Foreign Relations" tab) will remove both the number and type of the ship until the window is refreshed by closing and reopening the window (example: '1x XX Ambler' changes to just 'Bob', instead of '1x XX Bob').

Separately, under Themes, there's two "Names Beginning with U" (the second of which is actually names that start with 'V'), and then "Names Beginning with V" is actually names starting with 'W'.

I know there are a number of refresh issues, not sure if Steve considers all of them bugs or not but passed on for him to decide.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
Various Ground Support Fighters Bugs and issues:

Thanks, passed on to confirmed.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »
I'm seeing the cycling 222, 224, 2339, 2608 errors (all Object reference not set to an instance of the object) on transiting an unexplored jump point (this looks to be linked to NPR generation, and goes back to at least 1.7.3).  1.9.4 installation, TN start on 1.9.3 or 1.9.4 (can't remember offhand), nothing particularly exotic going on.  I did move the save from one computer to another, but I've had no other issues, and I deleted the database instead of pasting over.

Real stars, less than a year into the campaign.

Oh, and one other thing.  After I got through the errors (took quite a while), I noticed that the oxygen percentage on the probable planet was 31.69%, which puts it into the "dangerous atmosphere" region, IIRC.  Not sure if that's related or not.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:59:20 AM by byron »
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Cosinus

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2020, 10:22:25 AM »
You can massively cheat on ground unit construction time by modifying a ground unit formation template after starting an order.

The window affected: Ground forces/formation templates
What you were doing at the time: see below
Is your decimal separator a comma?: No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: Easy
The rest: N/A
  • Create a formation template (e.g. Battalion) with one unit, e.g. a light vehicle with some weapon
  • Order a bunch of these battalions, which are very cheap and have a build time of only a few days.
  • Add a few hundred expensive units to the battalion, increasing the build points massively
  • The battalion is still completed after a few days, since it builds what the template is currently, not what was initially ordered.
Expected behaviour: Since Formation templates unlike ships classes are not directly linked to the units, modifying a template should not affect units already in training. The game should remember the composition of the unit when it was initially ordered and create units based on that template at the end of the training period.

Offline Ironclad Mouse

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
Function Number and Error Text:N/a
Window Effected:Economics-Specifically Environment and Wealth
What I was doing:Terraforming a planet (Adoris A-III)
Start: Conventional, Spacemaster race and system
Stars: Random
Decimal Separator: "."
Easy to reproduce
Campaign length:54 years
I was terraforming a planet using space stations. After getting everything set up I minimized the economics window, started time advancing. When I pulled the economics window back up, still open to the environment tab of the planet I was terraforming, I saw it hadn't updated. initially I thought the problem was the ships so this time I closed the economics window, went to check they were in the right place, after seeing they were I opened a new economics window to make sure I'd actually set the gas to be added. It was then that I noticed the tab had finally updated. I thought it was odd so I let time pass again with this new economics window open to the environment tab again, and it again would not update until I closed and reopened it. I was doing some testing to see if maybe I was crazy and that was WAI but after checking it appears that envionment and wealth are the only two tabs that don't update automatically when passing time. It also seems they will update if you click on a different planet and then click back on the one you were originally looking at.
This just seems odd to me as the rest of the tabs update without having to go to such lengths.
"Are you a man, or a mouse"
"Squeak"

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »
Probably it has already posted:

The function number: 569 & 2187
The complete error text: Object reference not set as object instance
The window affected: GU Training
What you were doing at the time: Press "Create Task" while no selecting any GU Template
Random or Real Stars: Real Stars
Is the bug easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off: easy
If this is a long campaign: ~30 years

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
Two related bugs:
1) Standing orders to load/unload colonists do not respect population capacity limits for small bodies
2) Civilian colony ships do not respect population capacity limits for small bodies

To duplicate: create a colony on Phobos, which is a tiny moon with a population capacity of .05m.  Deliver 50 LG infrastructure, which will give it a population supported by infrastructure value of .21m.  Then set standing orders to load/unload colonists on your colony ship, or wait until a civilian colony ship gets around to delivering colonists.  Either one will deliver colonists beyond the population capacity, triggering unrest due to overcrowding.

The function number  N/A
The window affected Economics/Events
What you were doing at the time: setting standing orders or waiting on Civilian
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well - A year or two into the campaign, after the first civilian shipping company launched a colony ship.

Thank you for the bug report, it appears theres a bit of a problem with the understanding of mechanics, it is possible to put more population on a planet then there is population "capacity" the capacity does not refer to the max people you can put on the planet but rather the amount it can support, if you want to tell civilians to stop overcrowding planets with very small population capacities you need to set it as "stable" so colonists do not arrive, when populations are that small it just needs 50% of its max population capacity filled to be able to use that option, alternatively you can make it a military restricted colony and move 50,000 people in Phobos case, this is less of a bug and more of a misunderstanding of mechanics and also a slight QOL oversight, it would be ideal if civilians stopped shipping when you were at population capacity but if its still set as "destination" they will keep coming, this may be added in a future patch but it is not exactly a bug outright, and when you yourself do it, thats completely normal the max capacity is again how much it can support reasonably not how many you can actually put there, theoretically you can put 10 million people on phobos but you are gonna have a lot of issues and massive unrest etc.

I hope that clears it up, and I do advise that you make a suggestion in the C# Suggestions for the "destination" designation of a colony to be disabled when you reach past or at population capacity max supported. Either way thank you for the report.

I respectfully disagree.  Per http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106715#msg106715

3) The available capacity of the system body on which the population is situated, taking into account other populations.
4) The available capacity of the infrastructure (normal or LG depending on the gravity), taking into account the current population size.
5) The lesser of 2) and 3) is used as the base capacity of the population to accept new colonists.

The available capacity of the infrastructure is being checked, but the available capacity of the system body is not.  In this case the colony can have infrastructure with 0 population (so the stable button is not an option), and the first ship to deliver colonists will overcrowd it.

Additionally - the other bug which doesn't allow partial colonist loads means that you would either have to create tiny colony ship with very limited capacity to load it, or use SM mode to move the colonists. 

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Cosinus

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
Two related bugs:
1) Standing orders to load/unload colonists do not respect population capacity limits for small bodies
2) Civilian colony ships do not respect population capacity limits for small bodies

To duplicate: create a colony on Phobos, which is a tiny moon with a population capacity of .05m.  Deliver 50 LG infrastructure, which will give it a population supported by infrastructure value of .21m.  Then set standing orders to load/unload colonists on your colony ship, or wait until a civilian colony ship gets around to delivering colonists.  Either one will deliver colonists beyond the population capacity, triggering unrest due to overcrowding.

The function number  N/A
The window affected Economics/Events
What you were doing at the time: setting standing orders or waiting on Civilian
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well - A year or two into the campaign, after the first civilian shipping company launched a colony ship.

Thank you for the bug report, it appears theres a bit of a problem with the understanding of mechanics, it is possible to put more population on a planet then there is population "capacity" the capacity does not refer to the max people you can put on the planet but rather the amount it can support, if you want to tell civilians to stop overcrowding planets with very small population capacities you need to set it as "stable" so colonists do not arrive, when populations are that small it just needs 50% of its max population capacity filled to be able to use that option, alternatively you can make it a military restricted colony and move 50,000 people in Phobos case, this is less of a bug and more of a misunderstanding of mechanics and also a slight QOL oversight, it would be ideal if civilians stopped shipping when you were at population capacity but if its still set as "destination" they will keep coming, this may be added in a future patch but it is not exactly a bug outright, and when you yourself do it, thats completely normal the max capacity is again how much it can support reasonably not how many you can actually put there, theoretically you can put 10 million people on phobos but you are gonna have a lot of issues and massive unrest etc.

I hope that clears it up, and I do advise that you make a suggestion in the C# Suggestions for the "destination" designation of a colony to be disabled when you reach past or at population capacity max supported. Either way thank you for the report.

I respectfully disagree.  Per http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106715#msg106715

3) The available capacity of the system body on which the population is situated, taking into account other populations.
4) The available capacity of the infrastructure (normal or LG depending on the gravity), taking into account the current population size.
5) The lesser of 2) and 3) is used as the base capacity of the population to accept new colonists.

The available capacity of the infrastructure is being checked, but the available capacity of the system body is not.  In this case the colony can have infrastructure with 0 population (so the stable button is not an option), and the first ship to deliver colonists will overcrowd it.

Additionally - the other bug which doesn't allow partial colonist loads means that you would either have to create tiny colony ship with very limited capacity to load it, or use SM mode to move the colonists.

After reviewing the post, I agree that my original statements were wrong and a mistake, I will be moving the original post to confirmed but the side bug about not being able to load certain amounts of colonists, I personally have not had issues with but I have seen reported in the past when you try to load extremely small numbers, anyway thank you and this will be moved properly.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, bankshot

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »
Version 1.9.4.
The function number - None
The complete error text - None
The window affected - Economics - Shipyards
What you were doing at the time - refitting ships
Is your decimal separator a comma? - no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - easy to reproduce

A bit of annoying thing when refitting ships. Not sure if it is intended behavior. If you select Refit in Task Type (Economics - Shipyards), there is list in Refit From menu that includes obsolete classes that have no active ships in the game, so as you progress the game and make new classes, the list continues to grow.

Only solution I am aware is to delete non active designs from Class Design list and IMHO that is not always desirable solution.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »
Version 1.9.4.
The function number - None
The complete error text - None
The window affected - Economics - Shipyards
What you were doing at the time - refitting ships
Is your decimal separator a comma? - no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - easy to reproduce

A bit of annoying thing when refitting ships. Not sure if it is intended behavior. If you select Refit in Task Type (Economics - Shipyards), there is list in Refit From menu that includes obsolete classes that have no active ships in the game, so as you progress the game and make new classes, the list continues to grow.

Only solution I am aware is to delete non active designs from Class Design list and IMHO that is not always desirable solution.

Thank you for formatting properly, this is less of a bug bug and more of just quirky game behaviour thats probably not the best QOL, as such I will be asking steve if this is intended behaviour before moving it to confirmed.

EDIT: Steves official stance on it is "WAI-ish" and said that he can understand that it could be annoying. So not a confirmed bug, thank you for the report.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:49:03 PM by SpaceMarine »