Author Topic: Bugs observed in Linux  (Read 15231 times)

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
Re: Bugs observed in Linux
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
Quote from: nafaho7 link=topic=3369. msg56314#msg56314 date=1351282411
To consolidate the instructions for running Aurora under Wine, allow me to present the following.
I am running Wine 1. 5. 10, on Ubuntu 10. 04

Assuming that you have compiled Wine and installed its dependencies, you should now perform the following steps, IN ORDER.
  • Create a fresh wineprefix.   I prefer to do this by removing the existing prefix in some fashion, such as renaming it, and then entering the commands "wineserver -k" and then "wineboot".
  • After generating a fresh wineprefix, use winetricks to install the following package: "vb6run"
  • Now, you must force Wine to acknowledge the existence of several dlls.   Specifically, you need to register "ole32. dll" and "oleaut32. dll", which are already present in your wineprefix by default.   My preferred method for doing this is to use the following commands: "regsvr32 ole32. dll" and "regsvr32 oleaut32. dll"
  • Install the program commonly known to Aurora users as the "Simple Shutdown Timer" in this wineprefix.
  • Using WINECFG, set overrides for the dlls "ole32. dll" and "oleaut32. dll" to "Native, then Builtin"
  • Install Aurora as per the standard instructions.
  • Run Aurora by running the file Aurora. exe
  • Rule the Galaxy!

On my machine, at least, this allows me to run Aurora without any problems.   So far, that is.

One addition: Use

LANG="en_GB" wine Aurora. exe

to run Aurora if your system is not using the ". " as the decimal separator by default.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »
This post includes several related bug reports, a feature request, and a request for information.

***Details of how Aurora detects if it is a second copy would be much appreciated***

First, the bugs:

Aurora has a feature that protects the database from corruption if two copies are running at the same time.   This feature has a few bugs.

It was working, but quit while trying to upgrade 554 to 560 after a bad crash.   621 also affected.
Clean install of 554 no longer works, either.

In any case, 'copy mode' itself is bugged.
1 'Copy mode' may be activated with only one instance of Aurora running.   Details at end.
2 The database is still modified, even if no action is taken (ie: start and then quit immediately).
3 The database is still modifiable:
3a Selecting a game enables the Save and Delete buttons, which work.   Note that the select game screen does not warn that it is in 'copy mode'.   In particular an active game in one instance of Aurora can be deleted from another.
3b If all games are deleted, the new game screen comes up without any warning of a problem.   Creating a new game will hang if two copies of Aurora are actually open.   It works if the 'copy mode' instance is actually the only instance.
4 The F3 System window is still accessible through the F9 screen, just not from the main menu
4a Advancing time hangs the game with 100% CPU, requiring force quit, even if only one copy is open.

Versions affected: 554 556 560 621
Version 010 does not appear to check for second copies.   Actually running a game in two instances at the same time corrupts things nicely ;)

1 A showstopper for those affected, but seems to be rare.
2 Minor bug.   Effects if two copies are open at the same time have not been tested.
3,4 Bugs, but only affects 'copy mode'.   3b is potentially bad as there is no warning.
4a Side effect of 4.  WAD?

Second, the feature request.
It took me two days to even figure out what 'copy mode' is, as the message 'THIS IS A COPY' is not very clear or noticable.   Due to bug 3b, it may not even be seen.
Perhaps a popup window on startup (before the select game window) to the effect of 'Another copy of Aurora is already running.   To protect your files, some features have been disabled.   Please close all copies of Aurora and then restart it to play normally. ' would be helpful.

Third, the information request.
I suspect either some weird library conflict, or a timing race.
To help diagnose this problem, any information about how Aurora detects if it is a second copy would be helpful.
Also, which version of MSAccess is used, and which connection method? (ODBC or OLE)
I am not very familiar with VB or MSA, so please be patient.

Background.
Aurora 554 was working to start with, usual database errors aside.
There was one bad crash drawing the F3 System window affecting one system, but I was able to recover by going through the F9 window to reset the viewport.    This was a segfault in GDI code.   Not sure if Aurora or Wine was at fault.
On Thursday I was attempting to learn fleet management, which reset all of my TGs, erasing all orders.   In recovering this, I somehow ran both of my gas miners and my tanker out of fuel.   In orbit around a minable gas giant.   Oops.
At this point I switched the F3 System window to that system and attempted to zoom in.   Immediate segfault.  (CTD in Windows terms).   Further, the F9 trick didn't work.   Opening to that system crashed instantly.

At this point I decided to try upgrading to 556.   It was immediately apparent something was borked.   Upgrading again to 560, and then 620 had no effect.   Deleting the entire bottle* and reinstalling from scratch did not fix it.   In my frustration, I also deleted my savefile and backups.

I can verify the following:

Rebooting has no effect.
Killing the bottle and reinstalling has no effect.
Killing the bottle, deleting every file and directory on my computer with 'Aurora' in its name (except the zip files needed to reinstall it), rebooting, and then reinstalling from scratch has no effect.
I am beginning to wonder why it worked at all in the first place.

Exactly one Aurora process is running, with 4 threads.  1 parent, 3 children.
Exactly one wineserver process is running.   (Provides Windows services on Linux)

Each Aurora thread has stevefire. mdb open exactly once.   This normal for Linux threads.
wineserver has stevefire. mdb open exactly once.   This normal if Aurora is using Windows style file locks.
The above is also true of stevefire. ldb
No other program has stevefire. mdb or stevefire. ldb open.

*In Wine a bottle is a virtual windows partition.   Deleting it should be equivalent to a format and clean reinstall of windows.   In particular, this kills the registry and all installed programs and files.

System:
Pentium 4 1. 8GHz
1GB Ram
Mobility Radeon 7500
Linux 3. 2. 0
Debian testing
Wine 1. 5. 6
winetricks
  vb6run (Visual Basic 6 SP 6Runtime.   Required)
  wmp10 (Windows Media Player 10.   Fixes sound related ActiveX error.   Sound doesn't actually work)
  jet40 (Attempt to fix database ActiveX error.   Not able to test yet)
  ie6 (Supposedly fixes an ActiveX error.   Not able to test yet)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
I just found AcidWeb's Portable Launcher Utility.    :o ??? :-\

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/games/Aurora/wine
wine winecfg. exe
# Under Drives tab, remove drive Z:
# Under Desktop Integration, clear links
# Under Libraries, add ole32 and oleaut32
cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files"
mkdir -p "Common Files/Microsoft Shared/dao"
winetricks vb6run jet40
unzip -x path/to/Aurora621-AWv4. zip
cd Aurora
chmod 755 *exe
wine AW_Aurora. exe

It. . . works. . . .  :'(

If you don't hear from me again, it means it is working

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Freezes in F3 System Map and some weirdness with Gas Miners
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
I once also got a segfault (attempted write to read only memory) in GDI drawing a rounded rectangle.    This occurred during a zoom.    Only happened once, reloading corrected it. 

If F3 System Map is zoomed too quickly (ie press zoom button while it is redrawing) Aurora freezes with 100% CPU.    After killing Aurora and restarting, opening System Map to that same system again freezes.    Opening other systems in F3 window works normally.    Sometimes forcing focus somewhere else in the system using the F12 Task Group screen before opening F3 corrects it.    If not, the game is not recoverable.    As redraw time varies a lot, and it isn't always obvious that it isn't finished, this one is tricky to avoid. 

I sent a gas miner (powered) out to a giant in another system, as Sol had no Sorium.    I then sent a tanker out to collect the fuel.    Loading the tanker somehow ran both the gas miner and the tanker out of fuel (0 fuel after loading).    When I switched F3 to that system, Aurora froze with 100% CPU.    That game was not recoverable, even using F12 to refocus. 

I towed a gas miner (no engines, empty fuel tank) out to Saturn.    Tug reported task complete.    The GM produced 25000L of fuel (3% capacity).    I towed a second out (same setup) and ordered it dropped into the same TG.    Tug reported task complete.    The first gas miner and its task group were gone, and the second was still in the shipyard TG.    No messages about the first miner were in the log.    I zoomed in to Saturn to see what was up, and the TG was indeed gone.    Aurora then froze.    Again, restarting and opening F3 in Sol system freezes with 100% CPU.    Advancing time once gives Error 5 Invalid procedure call or argument.    Again, not recoverable.
Switching to a different system through the F9 screen, then turning off all display options, then switching to Sol, worked.   WMG Tanker 1 001 is still MIA.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:23:32 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
system map problems
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
error in centreonlocation
error 6
overflow

I have no unit in system
almost any action made cause a shut down
this kind of error kills sooner or later all of my games ...
help pls

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
This one is a bug, but it is not with WINE or Linux.  Error 6 occurs when some integer hits the integer limit and blows right past it into ever larger numbers.
This post has some useful information about this particular error.

In this particular case, it will almost certainly take you a loooong time to get to where you want to go - your ship will probably die from maintenance failures long before you get there.  

The overflow happens whenever the travel time calculated exceeds some limit.  Usually this is because you accidentally kept your ship at speed 1 and told it to go a long way.

Several things can create this, including having move orders to an EXTREMELY distant star, which is what sloanjh was addressing in that particular thread.  Very large counts of any kind, however, can also cause this.  Extremely long sensor ranges, such as when you place a rather absurd number of passive sensor outposts on a single stellar body, can provide ranges for the various sensor logic which exceeds the integer limit.  Also, computing how much of the system to show on the map screen can cause this, which is what Erik Luken is addressing here:

There is a button someplace on the system view which sets the view to default. Click that and see if it gets fixed.

Resetting the value to the default is sometimes enough to fix this problem, as for some reason the game decides to show an immense amount of empty space when displaying new star systems, albeit only occasionally.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:26:52 AM by nafaho7 »

Offline Noble713

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • N
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
I just found AcidWeb's Portable Launcher Utility.    :o ??? :-\

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/games/Aurora/wine
wine winecfg. exe
# Under Drives tab, remove drive Z:
# Under Desktop Integration, clear links
# Under Libraries, add ole32 and oleaut32
cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files"
mkdir -p "Common Files/Microsoft Shared/dao"
winetricks vb6run jet40

Ok, I just did these steps above, followed by:

-unzip the portable version of 7.10
-go into the Aurora folder
-wine regsvr32 MSSTDFMT.DLL

And now the game works. Before I couldn't open the System View and kept having problems registering msstdfmt.dll.

Offline DoktorV

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »
Ok, I just did these steps above, followed by:

-unzip the portable version of 7.10
-go into the Aurora folder
-wine regsvr32 MSSTDFMT.DLL

And now the game works. Before I couldn't open the System View and kept having problems registering msstdfmt.dll.

I'm playing on Kubuntu 14.04 and I confirm that this works, and I now have full function including System View.