Author Topic: Cargo holds and build time  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Cargo holds and build time
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
It's because they are components designed by an alien empire that happen to have the same name or the same stats as one of your components. They are still identified separately in the database so they show up as different components. Perhaps what I need to do is check existing components for matches when you salvage alien components and convert them at that point.

Steve
You will also need to do a check when the player designs a new system.  Especially with low tech starts I have found enough of a system, ie 20cm/c4 uv laser to be able to make my own that are an exact match.  If I have any left over after the dissasembly process I can't use them and my own matching design without having two different designs.  If instead you did this check to see if any salvaged components were an identical match to a new design when it is finished being prototyped then it would get around the problem.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »
I would prefer it if you left them separate.  Just because an alien laser is '20cm/C4 Near UV' doesn't mean it's the same as a native '20cm/C4 Near UV' laser.  Russian 7.62mm rounds are not the same size (and not compatible with) 7.62mm NATO rounds.  Royal Navy 12" battleship guns were commonly manufactured in 'left' and 'right' versions, and you couldn't put a pair of 'rights' into the same turret.

Captured alien weapons, are, well, alien.  They're made for an odd number of fingers, arms the length of an orangutan, and labelled entirely in black text, on a black background, that lights up a black light with a black message when you press the black button.  Your empire's copies are modified so that your empire's inhabitants can use them.

If people want X and Y to be that same, they can use SM mode to delete the alien versions and replace them with an equal number of native components.  If a lot of people want it, you can add a button to do it automatically.  I, for one, like my historical oddities such as the Panzer I Breda, or the Marder - native chassis armed with captured guns.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
The problem is that it won't automatically combine.
In reality, it was very cheap to put captured guns on stuff, back when doing things like the Hotchkiss or Hetzer, to talk about WW2 tanks.
In Aurora, you would have to make a new ship design just to use the same weapons, but from a different manufacturer.
While I agree that the status quo isn't that evil, it's not perfect either.
Wouldn't the easiest solution be to keep it as is, and once those parts run out, you get a free modification possibility to exchange it by what is still available (current parts?).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »
Perhaps the best option would be a button on the actual stockpile section to consolidate identical tech system. That would then be optional for players who want to make use of it.

Steve

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Perhaps the best option would be a button on the actual stockpile section to consolidate identical tech system. That would then be optional for players who want to make use of it.

Steve

I'd suggest making it a SM button Steve, since it is a bit of a reality breaker

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.