Author Topic: 4.0b Bugs  (Read 21564 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: 4.0b Bugs
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 07:25:22 AM »
I just found a bug myself on the class window. The missile list is based on the size of the ship's missile launchers. Unfortunately a carrier design may need missiles but has no launchers. For the next version the code will also check the size of the launchers on any attached fighters and there is also an ignore size restrictions option. In the meantime as a workaround, making a class a collier removes the size restriction.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 07:45:49 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
After game generation, examining the F2 screen, the research tab shows 180k RP available, however I used the random assign RP in the race creation.
Fixed for the next version

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I'm seeing this effect (more than one commander assigned to a ship) a lot.  Not sure if it's correlated with auto-assign or not, since I've got it (auto-assign) on.
Do you only see this if you manually assign one or is this happening just as a result of auto-assign?

Steve

I think (but am not sure) that the answer is "both".  I first noticed it with ships which I had been reassigning after auto-assign chose the first commander.  When I did the post, however, I had just had an ICBM (or maybe low-tech ground) commander die - when I went to fill the empty slot by hand I discovered that the unit still had a commander, that had been (from looking at the history) assigned previously!!  The effect is pretty hard to notice by hand, especially if you use auto-assign and don't mess around with the commanders much, because in isolation everything looks fine - it's only when you compare two things that you notice a discrepancy.  

I think the easiest way to find it would be to write a little assert routine that runs through each commander and checks that

commander->commanded_unit()->unit_commander() == commander

(or vice-versa for units).  This is something that I know is wrong from the first time it happened to me - the unit was still pointing at the old commander, even though the new commander (in addition to the old commander) was pointing at the unit.

Hope that helped,
John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »
Minor bug that's been around for ages:  The system map screen (F3) doesn't remember its location or its full-screen mode.  It always shows up in full-screen, even if it's been put into partial-screen mode and positioned.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »
More officer (auto-assign I think) weirdness: I recently made a geo-survey team, headed by Dante Lightford.  I think auto-assign took him off the team and assigned him to a missile complex, while leaving the other members of the team alone.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think I pushed the auto-assign button during the "commander killed" episode described above - this seems to have moved Dante off the team (which he had been on for only 4 months).  The other possibility is that I assigned him to the missile complex by hand by mistake, but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Another note - the reason that I'm not sure is that, when I push the auto-assign button on the commanders (F4), it looks like the "command assignment" events aren't being generated as they would during book-keeping phase auto-assignment.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
I just hit the "design test" button on the jump engine design screen (I was trying to get the design summary to refresh) and got ~1/2 dozen error pop-ups.  I then hit the "show sizes in tons" check box - Aurora gave another error pop-up or two then did a hard-crash.

I suspect the workaround for this falls into the category of "don't do that" :-)  Is "design test" a debugging button?

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
I just hit the "design test" button on the jump engine design screen (I was trying to get the design summary to refresh) and got ~1/2 dozen error pop-ups.  I then hit the "show sizes in tons" check box - Aurora gave another error pop-up or two then did a hard-crash.

I suspect the workaround for this falls into the category of "don't do that" :-)  Is "design test" a debugging button?
Yes, that's a button I used to run certain pieces of code for test purposes. It should be invisible - oops!

I think it is currently set to update missile launchers for the selected race but it relies on a design philosophy record that won't be there for non-NPRs. Check your missile launchers as you might need to delete new ones and un-obsolete the old ones.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
I think it is currently set to update missile launchers for the selected race but it relies on a design philosophy record that won't be there for non-NPRs. Check your missile launchers as you might need to delete new ones and un-obsolete the old ones.
Thx.  Looking at the "Technology Report" I see 2 "Size 3 missile launcher" and a size-1 design, none of which I made.  Is that what you were talking about?  One strange note - the "Size 3" guys appear to cost zero research points and zero build points.

Does the "Designer Mode" item in the "Game" menu fall into the same category (things Steve forgot to hide in the release build)? :-)

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
More on Auto-Assign:

Something is screwed up with the "end-of-tour" logic - it looks like it's trying to update all commands, not just those which are made vacant due to the end of a tour.

I've got tour length set to 24 months.  I hit an update that should have gotten about 70% of the commands (because I'd reassigned some stuff by hand).  Instead it looks like it hit everything.  I went back to a saved database, and found, for example that 5th Captain Jorndon Hennes had been in command of ICBM base 034 for about 6 months less than "everyone else", so he shouldn't have auto-updated.  Instead, he was prematurely relieved of his command and someone else was assigned to it.  The good news is that he seemed to know that he'd been relieved.  I also checked that the unit thought that he was its commander - it did, so I don't think that there's a second commander whose tour is finished that's marking the base for update (although I could be wrong).

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »
Two things:

1)  The "R0 Unassigned" in the officer screen (F4) shows "25th Drengr Richard Cesares" as the officer assigned to "unassigned".  I suspect that this is database leakage from your campaign into mine.  Note that I deleted your campaign right off the bat.

2)  More on the double-officer wierdness - I just replaced an officer on my ship Discovery, after which he thought his assignment was "Senior Officer, Discovery".  I thought this might just be because he was in Discovery's passenger quarters, but when I tried to transfer him to Earth (Discovery was in parking orbit) it wouldn't give me any targets - I assume because of the "unassigned officers only" filter.  After I unassigned him by hand he magically appeared on Earth.  Don't know if this is the same thing that's been going on in the other cases or not.

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
hi STeve..arent a BUG but i think a "misunderstanding" orders..
UR "Jovian-Class Fuel Base Harvester" in Warsaw..depart for long long long long run..:D more than 150000 days..strange ur "BASES" depart on space (ive found ur "squad) near Warsaw (84millions) away from an Jovian Gas Giant...at 1km/s speed.._:D..i think ur commander take up the "base" leg's and take off:)..

Edit: most ur Ships design lack on Engineers sections.U play without Maintenance? (so am must change many in every single classes.)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
The pesky civilians just build a freighter.  It's showing up as a hostile contact even though I've got the transponder setting to "on" in the system (F9) window.  I don't have any active sensors anywhere - just planetary sensors and default sensors on my various ships.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
Does the "Designer Mode" item in the "Game" menu fall into the same category (things Steve forgot to hide in the release build)? :)

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
The pesky civilians just build a freighter.  It's showing up as a hostile contact even though I've got the transponder setting to "on" in the system (F9) window.  I don't have any active sensors anywhere - just planetary sensors and default sensors on my various ships.
If you go into the Alien Classes window, you can set the 'civilian race' as friendly

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
hi STeve..arent a BUG but i think a "misunderstanding" orders..
UR "Jovian-Class Fuel Base Harvester" in Warsaw..depart for long long long long run..:D more than 150000 days..strange ur "BASES" depart on space (ive found ur "squad) near Warsaw (84millions) away from an Jovian Gas Giant...at 1km/s speed.._:D..i think ur commander take up the "base" leg's and take off:)..

Edit: most ur Ships design lack on Engineers sections.U play without Maintenance? (so am must change many in every single classes.)
I fixed the fuel harvester fleet. Not sure what you mean about maintenance though. All the ships in my game have engineering sections and maintenance is on.

Steve