Author Topic: Creating a Believable Naval Organization  (Read 7539 times)

Offline ThatBlondeGuy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: Creating a Believable Naval Organization
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
No your maths is right, and it would just be easier to remove the rank of Lt as this would mean you need less officers by quite a large margin.

Commander, Captain, Commodore, Adm, Adm of the Fleet.

This skips Lt, the lowest rank that can command a warship, and skips Vice Admiral and Rear Admiral, in favour of having Adm of the Fleet as a rank. If you'd rather have Adm as your highest rank you could add Adm of the Fleet as an Honorary title and use a rank structure like this.

Commander, Captain, Commodore, Vice Admiral, Admiral

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
So, for example, if I were to build a flagship with the preferred commander rank set to Fleet Admiral and it's priority set to 100, would I then get that precious personnel for that rank?

No.  You would be unable to fill the command slot with a "named" commander (remember that all "empty" command positions are actually filled by unexceptional "un-named" officers).

Even worse, every officer needs to occupy some sort of assignment every 5-6 years, or he is removed from the officer corps.  So unless you had a bunch of other command slots available, the above tactic would make it worse by making it more difficult to build up the base of the pyramid.

John

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
Just as a random note, but you can provide a lot of 'commands' to keep officers in the pool by running carriers + fighters. Set the fighters to your lowest rank (Lieutenant Commander for me), build a bunch, and folks will happily ride those fighters up.

I've managed to get like two Vice Admirals in a Lieutenant Commander -> Commander -> Captain -> Commodore -> Rear Admiral -> Vice Admiral structure in my current game by a combination of spamming fighters for Lieutenant Commanders, cheapie frigates for Commanders, and letting Captains pilot whatever's at the top. Although right now it's kinda... my light cruisers are a Captain slot, the strike cruisers are a commodore slot, Destroyers just got bumped down to a Commander slow, and all the frigates are now Lieutenant Commander slots. Although the downside is I've got 2 VA, like 11 Rear Admirals at the moment (fff), and I'm not willing to keep shoehorning out task forces just to keep some of the crummier admirals, so some of my top-end commands are going to keeping them in the loop.

Still, if you don't mind keeping track of all the task forces, that can be a good way to keep a rank 3 or up happily alive, while potentially making use of the myriads of rank 1s who have absolutely no crew training score.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus