Author Topic: Bugs observed in Linux  (Read 15234 times)

Offline Catty Nebulart (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
Bugs observed in Linux
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
I don't have a windows version to compare with so I'll note down what I have observed playing under linux using wine (1. 3. x).

Using Aurora 5. 42;

1) If you delete games it will lead to errors.  Afterwards when creating a new game it will complain about not being able to link to some tech records during the NPR generation.

2) Some Systems will have a 'Error in ShowMinerals; Error 13 was generated by Aurora; Type Mismatch'.  This shows up when opening the System Map (F3)or advancing time through the system map.  For those systems if you try to open the system view (F9) aurora will generate a 'Run-Time error '13'; Type Mismatch' and crash the application.  Doing geological surveys seems to be able to trigger this but it seems somewhat random, but once this error message appears it won't go away.

3) When giving default and contingency orders to task forces without ships you'll get a bunch of error messages each time time advances.  You get the same error at other times seemingly at random intervals when advancing time sometimes too.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Bugs observed in Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:18:28 AM »
I don't have a windows version to compare with so I'll note down what I have observed playing under linux using wine (1. 3. x).

Using Aurora 5. 42;

1) If you delete games it will lead to errors.  Afterwards when creating a new game it will complain about not being able to link to some tech records during the NPR generation.

2) Some Systems will have a 'Error in ShowMinerals; Error 13 was generated by Aurora; Type Mismatch'.  This shows up when opening the System Map (F3)or advancing time through the system map.  For those systems if you try to open the system view (F9) aurora will generate a 'Run-Time error '13'; Type Mismatch' and crash the application.  Doing geological surveys seems to be able to trigger this but it seems somewhat random, but once this error message appears it won't go away.

3) When giving default and contingency orders to task forces without ships you'll get a bunch of error messages each time time advances.  You get the same error at other times seemingly at random intervals when advancing time sometimes too.

Unfortunately I don't have linux so I can't try to recreate the bugs. I am aware of the Show Minerals bug though, which is specific to Linux. If you look on the Game Parameters menu on the main menu bar there should be an option to 'Disable ShowMinerals for F9', which should prevent the crash.

What are the actual error messages you get with regard to the default and contingency orders?

Steve

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have linux so I can't try to recreate the bugs.   

I know, hence why I use a seperate thread so as not to clutter the windows bugs.   

Unfortunately I don't have linux so I can't try to recreate the bugs.    I am aware of the Show Minerals bug though, which is specific to Linux.    If you look on the Game Parameters menu on the main menu bar there should be an option to 'Disable ShowMinerals for F9', which should prevent the crash.   

I checked it, but it still causes a crash on F9, with the same error.    Unless I have to make a new game with this parameter checked.   

What are the actual error messages you get with regard to the default and contingency orders?

Error in ExecuteOrders; Error 13 was generated by aurora; Type mismatch.   

Also an

Error in CreateShip; Error 3201 was generated by DAO.  RecordSet; You cannot add a record because a related record is required in table 'Fleet'. 
Error in AddShipHistory; Error 3201 was generated by DAO.  RecordSet; You cannot add a record because a related record is required in table 'Ship'. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:20:15 PM by Catty Nebulart »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
I know, hence why I use a seperate thread so as not to clutter the windows bugs.   

I checked it, but it still causes a crash on F9, with the same error.    Unless I have to make a new game with this parameter checked.   

Error in ExecuteOrders; Error 13 was generated by aurora; Type mismatch.   

Also an

Error in CreateShip; Error 3201 was generated by DAO.  RecordSet; You cannot add a record because a related record is required in table 'Fleet'. 
Error in AddShipHistory; Error 3201 was generated by DAO.  RecordSet; You cannot add a record because a related record is required in table 'Ship'. 

You don't need to restart with the new parameter. As to the other errors, the type mismatch will have caused the other problems but as to why that occurred in the first place I don't know. Is there anyone else reading this who uses Linux to run Aurora? If so, do you have similar problems?

Steve

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Ok, deleted the old database and got the one from the 5. 40 patch again, started a new game, checking the 'Disable ShowMinerals for F9', and then played for a while.

Several "Error in ExecuteOrders; Error 13 was generated by aurora; Type mismatch. " Errors, but they don't seem to have an effect, but then by April 2026, after I survey Venus I get the disable minerals crash again.
I can send you my database if you want.

I'm honestly tempted to write a clone in java and do proper multi-threading and so forth so that the game will run smoother.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:42:56 AM »
Ok, deleted the old database and got the one from the 5. 40 patch again, started a new game, checking the 'Disable ShowMinerals for F9', and then played for a while.

Several "Error in ExecuteOrders; Error 13 was generated by aurora; Type mismatch. " Errors, but they don't seem to have an effect, but then by April 2026, after I survey Venus I get the disable minerals crash again.
I can send you my database if you want.

I'm honestly tempted to write a clone in java and do proper multi-threading and so forth so that the game will run smoother.

The problem is that even if you send me your database, I won't be able to test it. The errors you mention don't happen in Windows and I don't have Linux. I believe some people have successfully played Aurora using Linux but I have never used it and Aurora was not designed for that operating system. That's why I asked for other Linux users to comment.

Steve

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
I found the source of the problem, there is a known bug in wine that doesn't hit everyone, so they are having a hard time tracking it down.  It can be resolved using native 'oleaut32' _and_ 'ole32'.  Possibly some other tweaks are also needed since I did spend a few days on it.  It also seems to affect some Windows ME users, though there are probably less of them than linux users.

I don't need the disable show minerals with this fix even.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
I found the source of the problem, there is a known bug in wine that doesn't hit everyone, so they are having a hard time tracking it down.  It can be resolved using native 'oleaut32' _and_ 'ole32'.  Possibly some other tweaks are also needed since I did spend a few days on it.  It also seems to affect some Windows ME users, though there are probably less of them than linux users.

I don't need the disable show minerals with this fix even.

Thanks for posting the solution. That will help other users with the same issue.

Steve

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=3369. msg32789#msg32789 date=1301235908
Thanks for posting the solution.  That will help other users with the same issue.

Steve

That is just common forum etiquette. 

Getting aurora working nicely seems tricky enough that it might make sense to create a separate wine image for it, and then package that as a deb package so it can be installed with a few simple clicks rather than the more cumbersome windows installation procedure.
If anyone is interested in it drop me a line and I'll put something together.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »
I would love such an image.  I tried and failed to get Aurora working under Wine with the ole32 and oleaut32 DLLs.  As much as I love using Linux, I'm still not all that competent at tinkering 'under the hood'.

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
Ok, one image coming up.   Which distro and window manager are you using? Also any suggestion where to upload the rather large file?

EDIT:
Preliminary image here: hxxp: www. megaupload. com/?d=54S2SI03

Quickstart: unzip this somewhere, it should create a 'wine4aurora' directory.  In that directory there will be a runAurora. sh shell script, make it executable and use it to run aurora.  If it doesn't work try running it from the commandline and it should output some debugging information.
It assumes that you are using wine-1. 3. 16, but older versions should work. .

More detail; The rest of that directory is a wineprefix, wine has the ability to essentially run multiple 'windows installations' side by side, each of which gets it's own prefix.  The default prefix is '~/. wine'
To use a non-default wineprefix you need to set the $WINEPREFIX variable, this is usefull if you want to alter the settings, eg run "WINEPREFIX=~/wine4aurora winecfg" (making sure to alter the path as needed) to run wine config for that path.  That is essentially what the shellscript is doing for you.  It's generaly good practice to keep a single wineprefix per application if you start doing stuff like wineticks to get things working.  The magic sauce for the above image is winetricks to install vb6run, manually copying and registering msstdfmt. dll and the ole overrides meantioned earlier in the thread.

This has not been extensively tested, I just made a new prefix for this and did my best to keep it clean.  There might be some errors related to some of my user directories, just alter them using winecfg as detailed above.

If there is sufficient demand I'll try to put together a . deb package to make the install really clean and easy but that would be a few hours of work.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:09:39 PM by Catty Nebulart »

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:49 AM »
Additional bug observed:
When Officer reassignment happens I get the following errors;

1) Error in CreateGameLog; Error 429 was generated by Aurora; ActiveX Component can't create object; Please report. . . .
followed by N (where N is some large number, growing quickly as the game goes on) messages of
2) Error in CreateGameLog; Error 429 was generated by Aurora; Object requiered; Please report. . .

just clicking ok long enough makes the errors go away but it is easier to just kill and restart aurora, you can continue the game without a problem.
I'm 90% sure that I can remove the error by tweaking some configuration item, since it doesn't show up in my default wine installation, just the custom one I made for aurora (but my default one has other problems with aurora).  So I just need to find the right tweak.  Any details on what is causing this?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »
Nope, but I see the error as well when using your custom Wine distro.  (Thanks very much for building that, by the way.)

Oh, and only the first error is 429 (ActiveX Component).  The rest are all 424 (Object Required), and the number of 424 instances seems to be related to the (total) number of officers that have been 'deemed surplus to requirements and retired' during the game to date - almost as if some subroutine is still calling the ID numbers of the no-longer-existing officers.

Offline Another

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
I think I got ActiveX installed and mostly running in my default wine configuration some time ago. Probably with ies4linux or with some complicated methods I forgot about. I certainty remember rare but persistent ActiveX Component errors in Aurora before the time I did extensive Wine-related experiments.

Also sorry about using an older thread to post about ShowMinerals and dcom98 but that was the only thread that showed up in google. I would be tempted to use this custom Wine directory otherwise.

Offline Antsan

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:50 AM »
I found a game ending bug on Linux on wine with the version posted by Catty. 

Around the date (when starting with year 2025) of 2027 Sept.  29 I get:
Error in SelectKnownSystem
Error 3075 was generated by DAO.  Database
Syntax Error (comma) in query expression 'sqr((X - 3,5)^2 + (Y - 8,85)^2 + (Z - 15,4)^2)'. 
Please report [and so on]

This is followed by a seemingly endless stream of
Error in SelectKnownSystem
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
Please report [you know that part]

After restarting I start again from just before the error and from there it just occurs again after advancing time.

I've got no idea how to fix this.   My wine is telling me the following up to this point:
Checking wine version, this image assumes wine-1.  3.  16;
wine-1.  3.  15
Preparing to run Aurora, setting $WINEPREFIX to;
/home/thomas/Programme/Fremde/Spiele/Aurora/wine4aurora
Aurora is starting now;
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented. 
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
The package sources at WineHQ (I am using Ubuntu 11.  04) only seem to provide wine-1.  3.  15,, that's why I haven't got 1.  3.  16 yet. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:54:37 AM by Antsan »