Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 69935 times)

Offline Brownbeard

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
Unsure if this is bug, or the feature is still unfinished and in development. . .

V5. 42 - plasma torpedoes do not work

Code: [Select]
Imperium class Cruiser    6,600 tons     705 Crew     6072.5 BP      TCS 132  TH 2250  EM 0
17045 km/s     Armour 1-31     Shields 0-0     Sensors 75/75/0/0     Damage Control Rating 10     PPV 90
Annual Failure Rate: 34%    IFR: 0.5%    Maint Capacity 5750 MSP    Max Repair 2700 MSP    Est Time: 3.03 Years

Photonic Drive E2 (3)    Power 750    Fuel Use 20%    Signature 750    Armour 0    Exp 35%    Hyper Capable
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 409.1 billion km   (277 days at full power)

Size 90 Plasma Torpedo Launcher (1)     Warhead 90     Speed 250,000 km/s     Max Range 108m km     Rate of Fire 225 seconds
Missile Fire Control FC405-R1 (10%) (1)     Range 405.0m km    Resolution 1

Active Search Sensor MR6750-R100 (10%) (1)     GPS 90000     Range 6,750.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1-75 (10%) (1)     Sensitivity 75     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  75m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-75 (10%) (1)     Sensitivity 75     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  75m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The plasma torpedo gets launched but it dissapears after 5 seconds, doing nothing.  I've tried using it against invaders, precursors (I thought that it might get killed by ECM), and then again against a waypoint, but the effect is same, the torpedo just dissapears instead of moving.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Well lookie there!  It's on the 3rd (History/Officers/Misc) tab....  Thanks!!

That being said, it still seems to me that this should be a button on the combat overview screen.....

Added to combat overview for v5.50

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »
Bug: Can bypass the 180 day activation period of an inactive industry
Steps:
1) Deactivate an industry.
2) Reactivate the industry
3) Cancel reactivation.  This can be done immediately, or any time in the 180 day period
4) Industry is now activated.

Guessing that canceling the reactivation resets it to the default state, rather than the last state.

Fixed for v5.50

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
I think the 'Build Time (yrs)' estimate on the Class Design screen is buggy.  Depending on how you add things to your design, and whether you then remove some (ie, add in blocks of 10 then remove some), you will get a different time to if you simply add them 1 item by 1 item.  I've had varying estimates of 1. 33 years, 1. 23 years and 1. 85 years for exactly the same design, during when I was playing around with removing and adding elements.

Although I am sort of inclined to find it hilarious, because maybe because whichever contractor we're talking with is haggling around on the days! (It's not a bug, it's a feature)

Fixed for v5.50.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Contacts are not saved to the DB at end of an update.

I regularly back up by doing a ctrl-c/ctrl-v on SteveFire.MDB while Aurora is running.  This works great, except that when I restore from a backup noone has any sensor contacts.  In the past I haven't thought of this as a big deal - I just do a couple of 5s increments to get location and speed back in the system, but I just realized that there's a good chance that this will screw up missile engagements.  I suspect that if missiles are in flight and I have to restore from a backup, then they'll lose their target and self-destruct during that first 5s update.

I realize that this is on the edge of not-a-bug, and that an appropriate response is "don't do that", but it's VERY convenient to be able to save while the game is running, rather than exiting, saving, then reopening the game.  And my understanding is that the entire state of the game is supposed to be in the DB while the game is waiting for input.

Which reminds me of another game-state thing: it looks like the RNG is not being save to the DB.  This is a good thing if you want to sidestep a bug (I had a corrupt new system get generated on me a while back, which I fixed by restoring to before generation and re-exploring), but it's nice to know that rolling back to a save will give you the same random numbers.  So if you decide to fix this, I'd like to see a "reset RNG seed' (SM?) button somewhere in order to still be able to do the workaround....

John

Because contacts are used so much, they are loaded into memory when you select a game and saved when you quit. Everything in the code is now geared to contacts being in memory at all times. If you are going to backup, you will need to close the game down first or, as you mentioned, the contacts won't be saved. One option might be some sort of Save Contacts button, or maybe even a Save Database button that creates a backup and saves contacts first.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #350 on: June 26, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
I am getting an infinite loop error that is making the game unplayable.

At the time it occurred I had just encountered an NPR race.  Also, in another entirely different system, I had just encountered an uninhabited (I think) planet which seems to have all the TN minerals.

Other than that I have no clue why this could be occurring.

Error reads:

ERROR IN ASSIGNWEAPONS

Error 3049 was generated by DAO.recordset
Cannot open database".  It may not be an application that your database recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
Please report to (forum website address).

Please help.  I would really like to continue this game.

Edit: I'm not sure if deleting the new race in SM will solve the problem.  Please advise.

I don't think I have ever seen a Cannot Open Database error before. It sounds like the database file itself might be corrupted somehow. Have you opened the Stevefire.mdb file in Access or used designer mode in some way?

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #351 on: June 26, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »

(snip design)

Now, this DDG doesn´t have any firecon, so it can not engage the enemy. Instead it has a second, smaller Active Sensor, that seems to be the size the MFC should be.

Fixed for v5.50. I wondered why I had seen no reports on this design :)

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #352 on: June 26, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
Found some bugs
Selecting Help -> About. 

Got the following errors:
Error in UpdateNPRClass
Error 3021 was generated bij DAO.  Field
No current record

And some similar errors in DAO.  Recordsset

And then a:
Error 3020 was generated by DOA.  Field
Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit. 

The about screen then opens normally. 

This was while I already had a game open (of course).   Running winxp. 

Selecting Miscellaneous -> StarType

Run-time error '3024':
Could not find file 'HYG. mdb'.

Sometimes I use menu items to run pieces of test code and then forget to remove them before release :) - that is what is happening with About option. The second error is because I use that menu item to load a window that helps me setup some of the Real Stars in the DB. I forgot to make it invisible before release.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #353 on: June 26, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
Instant OOB ignores the "conscript" flag.

I had a fleet of 4 cargo ships in a weird state - every time they offloaded (or loaded) something I would get a "failed to unload" message.  I instant-OOB'd another 4 replacement ships and that seemed to solve the problem, but the instant ships came in with my racial training level even though they're supposed to be conscript-only.

As for the weird state, I can think of 3 things that might have triggered it:
1)  The TG they were in was dropping components off after salvaging an Invader.
2)  I had just gone through a big commander auto-update cycle.
3)  The TG had both a tug and a salvage ship (with the tug towing the salvage ship) when I tried to offload.  I later pulled them out into a different TG and was seeing the same problems, though.

None of the above seem to me like it should have triggered this state, so I don't know what else is going on. 

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:59 AM »
Instant OOB ignores the "conscript" flag.

Fixed for v5.50

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2011, 04:35:53 AM »
This is a bug I have mentioned before and my post was moved to the Spoilers list but I just had it again so I am putting a new mention of it here.
Defence strength of units attacked by enemy ground unit:
1st Grenadier Brigade Def 5.24  GCB 31%  M 100
 Grenadier Regiment 01 Def 15.99   M- 139  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 02 Def 17.02   M- 148  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 03 Def 16.47   M- 142  GCB 16%
 Grenadier Regiment 04 Def 16.10   M- 140  GCB 15%

Garrison Battalion 018   Def 21   M-100   GCB 5%
Engineer Brigade 02      Def 11.80  M - 118

Ground defence of Anwwn  61.5327

How the hell does it get 61.5327?????

What was the readiness of the above units? DefenceStrength is equal to Base Defence Strength x Ground Combat Bonus x (Morale / 100) x (Readiness / 100)  x Racial Ground Combat Strength

Defence strength is also modified by any armour bonus from PDCs, which is equal to 10% of the armour thickness

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2011, 04:44:22 AM »
I think I've found a serious bug in point defence - it looks like multiple beam fire-controls firing at a single salvo only register the hits from the last fire-control to fire. 

I've got a single laser-DD and 3xFFG (AMM) defending a TG that's getting sandblasted by an NPR AMM DD.  The DD has 2x AM fire controls, each with 4x10cm C3 lasers in point-blank mode.  The NPR missiles are coming in in volleys of 12x; the DD is engaging the leakers.  Twice now, I've been told the DD got enough hits to destroy a salvo of leakers, only to see damage being registered.  I looked at the SM mode event log and saw the following messages (amidst a lot of other clutter) when engaging a salvo of 7 leakers (one of which was killed by AMM fire before the salvo attacked):

Terran Federation: Firing Summary: 4 weapons fired, 3 missiles destroyed.
(other Terran Federation messages, but no Empire of Kabili messages)
Terran Federation: Firing Summary: 4 weapons fired, 4 missiles destroyed.
Empire of Kabili: Missiles Destroyed: 4x Santa Cruz Anti-missile Missile destroyed by point blank point defence fire.
Empire of Kabili: Chance to Hit: Salvo of 2x Santa Cruz... has intercepted its target...
Empire of Kabili: Damage: 001 hit by 1 points of damage from Santa Cruz Anti-missile Missile.
Terran Federation: Damage: Arthur W. Radford hit by 1 points of damage from Santa Cruz Anti-missile Missile
Empire of Kabili: Damage: 001 hit by 1 points of damage from Santa Cruz Anti-missile Missile.
Terran Federation: Damage: Arthur W. Radford hit by 1 points of damage from Santa Cruz Anti-missile Missile

There's 3 things I see wrong with this picture:
1)  Radford claimed to hit 7 missiles when there were only 6 in the salvo (after AMM).
2)  Radford's 1st 3 hits seem to have been ignored - only 4 missiles were removed from the salvo.
2b)  Note that the first announcement of PD hits for Terran Fed. didn't have a corresponding announcement for Kabili.  This says to me that it was ignored by the system.
3)  Radford doesn't have a class name for the NPR (the "001").  Not sure if this is intentional since it's a computer-controlled NPR so there's no human to read the name....

The other time this happened it was a salvo of 4x and Radford got 1x then 3x hits and took 1 damage - same pattern.

John

Looking at the code, I think the "x missiles destroyed" message may be showing a cumulative number of missiles hit, rather than hit by that particular fire control. Are there any lines showing individual weapon fire, rather than the summary total?

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »
TG speed is not reset when max changes due to maintenance failure.

Fixed for v5.50

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #358 on: June 27, 2011, 06:03:40 AM »
Planetary Albedo doesn't go back down when you refreeze the hydrosphere. 

I was playing a methane breathing race and I accidentally melted the ice sheet while adding methane, raising the albedo from 1. 02 to 1. 0515, and the temperature from -27. 9C to -20. 4C.  Big whoops.  After adding some anti greenhouse gas the temperature is now -29. 45.  According to the system information window, the hydrosphere is back to "ice sheet", but the albedo is still 1. 05.

Fixed for v5.50

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #359 on: June 27, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »
I'm fairly certain that there's a bug in PDC production when more than 1 PDC of a particular type is produced in a 5-day.

I designed a fairly cheap fighter base and launched a build of 8 on Earth.  A while later I checked, and noticed there was 1 of them in my PDC task group, and the count remaining was 5.8-ish.  I thought "wait, where's the 2nd one?" then decided I'd probably just had a little too much Bailey's when I launched the task.  I bumped the number back up to 6.8 and didn't think about it more.  A while passed and the same thing happened - (built)+(sheduled)<8.  I bumped it up again, and this time watched more carefully.  I started out at ~5.6, now there's 2.66 left on the task, but only 1 appeared.  I assume that what's going on is that the PDC code is assuming that only 1 PDC needs to be added to the TG, even if more than 1 was completed in that 5-day, and the extras all "fell off the truck".

Now that I know what's going on, I'll just insta-oob the phantoms back into existence.

John

Yes, the code was assuming a maximum of 1 PDC or Orbital Habitat per 5-day increment. Fixed for v5.50

Steve