Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 439430 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #1455 on: February 01, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
Suggestion for automation of tasks: one annoying task in VB6 Aurora is the Geological Survey through teams, because if you want to do it by ships you have to manually create transfer commands each time the team finished its task. So some kind of "command": Wait at actual position until geoteam finishes task, then load up the team and fly to the next planet would be nice (in essence you do the whole command list once at the beginning for the whole range of planets you want to geo-analyse).
Alternatively another command which automatically drops off and picks up an assigned team and then auto assigns the next possible target would also be nice... .

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1456 on: February 01, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »
A question in regards to "Command & Control Rules":
In real life people usually stick to posts once they get to know the people they work with. So a ships captain would not switch every x amount of month between different ships like it happens with the auto assign actually in VB6 Aurora. Are there any plans that a person will not randomly do that in C# Aurora?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1457 on: February 01, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
A question in regards to "Command & Control Rules":
In real life people usually stick to posts once they get to know the people they work with. So a ships captain would not switch every x amount of month between different ships like it happens with the auto assign actually in VB6 Aurora. Are there any plans that a person will not randomly do that in C# Aurora?

This presumes that they get to choose.

Aurora is a military/government simulator, so it makes sense that the Personnel Bureau regularly shakes up commands. This is actually a deliberate thing; it keeps commanders from getting too much influence in a given military formation.

As for command ratios and the like, it'd be convenient if the automated system kept a tally of all positions for all ranks currently available and the ones currently under construction and used that to determine how many officers you need. But this would be a programming thing that Steve might find inconvenient.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1458 on: February 01, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
This presumes that they get to choose.
It should be a setting.  Both paradigms for officer assignment have their merit.  If an officer stays with the same unit/ship his whole career, he'll have an amazing understanding of its capabilities.  Much better than if someone new took command ever 2-4 years.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1459 on: February 01, 2018, 04:44:52 PM »
It should be a setting.  Both paradigms for officer assignment have their merit.  If an officer stays with the same unit/ship his whole career, he'll have an amazing understanding of its capabilities.  Much better than if someone new took command ever 2-4 years.
Isn't that how it works at the moment? I think you can choose the length of tour and set it as far out as you like?

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1460 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
Yes, but it's empire-wide if I remember correctly.  I think instead it should be class-wide.  Maybe even with an option to have individual ships be permanent positions while others of the same class are not.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1461 on: February 01, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
Yes, but it's empire-wide if I remember correctly.  I think instead it should be class-wide.  Maybe even with an option to have individual ships be permanent positions while others of the same class are not.
Ok, I understand. You can sort of do this for individual commanders by choosing the "do not end tour" option, but not for a whole class.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1462 on: February 02, 2018, 12:30:01 AM »
I dunno, I mean I do actually like to keep at close look at my officers every now and then and I also use a lot the not end tour tick, usually for newcomers if they have 500 or more promotion points then I do tick them to avoid any regrettable loss.

In the first 50 years or so, I also tick all ground officers and civilian administrators (you never have enough of these suckers :-) ).

I understand the need of an automatism for some, but I won't use it; I need to know my people if you know what I mean.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1463 on: February 02, 2018, 07:28:13 PM »
Technically this is a suggestion, though it's related to the last change so I'm putting it here. Sicne Salacia is finally be updated to dwarf planet status perhaps it's moon Actaea could be added, as well as giving Makemake it's moon M2.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1464 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
No they don't. At least in military context, captains of ships and commanders of units/posts/whatever do get rotated regularly. As the commercial designs are also under government/military control in Aurora, it makes perfect sense for their captains to rotate as well.

In purely civilian context that might happen, but at least in bigger companies there is career paths and nobody is a captain of a single ship forever.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #1465 on: February 03, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
ECONOMY..found :

From 2300 A.D. (site secure)

http://www.oocities.org/area51/9292/2300/economics.htm

Please...@Steve check this rare PEARL...

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1466 on: February 03, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
I'd like you to reconsider the removal of missile series. It's a more painful micromanagement hassle to have to do the same thing manually by class than if I could, for example, have a Size 6 LRM family, a Size 6 MRM family, and a Size 6 SRM family. Under the old system I can upgrade my missiles without actually having to do anything to all of my ships that use them.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1467 on: February 04, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
When using transports to collect minerals Gallicite is unfortunately the last mineral to be collected if the stockpile exceeds the cargo capacity. Would be nice if there could be a changeable priority list which minerals should be loaded first.  :)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #1468 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
ECONOMY..found :

From 2300 A.D. (site secure)

http://www.oocities.org/area51/9292/2300/economics.htm

Please...@Steve check this rare PEARL...

Searching randomly through that archive yielded me a site dedicated to Angel fanfiction, what looked like someone's MySpace page, and someone who just photoshops naked women onto cat bodies...

How did you find ^^^THAT^^^ page in there?

EDIT: AH, never mind. Keep to the 2300 section.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:11:15 PM by swarm_sadist »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1469 on: February 04, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
When using transports to collect minerals Gallicite is unfortunately the last mineral to be collected if the stockpile exceeds the cargo capacity. Would be nice if there could be a changeable priority list which minerals should be loaded first.  :)

It will be good, meanwhile, I sorted in this way: Order to load mineral Gallicite in your case then load all minerals.
Aurora will process your request filling Gallicite first and then will process orders to load minerals following the stockpile queue.
Keeping in mind the above, you can already use your custom load queue pretty much everywhere saving the order and reusing it once needed for other TF.
I myself always not in need of one or 2 minerals so I adjust the queue using this simple trick.

I hope this helps if Steve will not fix or implement this issue.