Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 85018 times)

Offline fflaguna

• Chief Petty Officer
  • f
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #495 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
Quote from: Steve W
I'm getting repeated Error in CheckForRuins in my current 5.  52 game.   Error 3421: Data Type Conversion error.
So I did this and it worked:
Quote from: Steve W
This appears to be a database issue.   If you have Access you need to change the data type of the GameTimeDamaged field in the AlienShip table from Long to Currency.   Please Let me know if that works.

Steve

I had this problem in 5. 55.  It happened when my newly built 7000-ton laser-armed interceptors attacked some star swarms 200kt ships.  Every 15 seconds when their 30cm soft xray lasers fired, there was about one error per firing ship (and only one fire control per ship).  I hadn't had trouble with earlier ships attacking this race, but for some reason these ships caused these error messages.

Anyway, doing this fixed it for me, so much more peaceful and quiet while my lasers are blasting away at squishies:)

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #496 on: December 02, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Code: [Select]
Title of Error msg box was something like CycleOrders. 
Error 3421 Type conversion error

Happened when I started another 30day increment.  At first the turn was just really slow.  Slow enough I got up and did other stuff.  When I came back, this error was on the screen.  And it got stuck there in that even when you cleared the dialog it came back.  And back, and back.  I ended up just hitting the ENTER key as fast as I could, and doing so until one hand got tired then I switched to the other, and back, and back etc.  Never could get past it.  Must have been hundreds if not thousands of them, as I was clearing them before they could even draw on the screen.  Finally nuked the game and told it to END TASK.

This is in 5.55

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #497 on: December 02, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
Code: [Select]
Title of Error msg box was something like CycleOrders. 
Error 3421 Type conversion error

Happened when I started another 30day increment.  At first the turn was just really slow.  Slow enough I got up and did other stuff.  When I came back, this error was on the screen.  And it got stuck there in that even when you cleared the dialog it came back.  And back, and back.  I ended up just hitting the ENTER key as fast as I could, and doing so until one hand got tired then I switched to the other, and back, and back etc.  Never could get past it.  Must have been hundreds if not thousands of them, as I was clearing them before they could even draw on the screen.  Finally nuked the game and told it to END TASK.

This is in 5.55

I've had this happen several times to me (it's the reason I thought my game was completely busted and mailed it to you Steve) it has happened some more times since then, and I think that I have pinned down why it's happening.

It seems to be caused by orders which are completed very quickly being set to Cycle. I think this is so because after I kill the task (as I have had to do as well) if I come back and look at the task groups, many of the ones set to Cycle orders have been bugged. They are no longer set to Cycle order, and instead of their orders (often lots and lots and lots of orders) in their order list as if I had put a large number in the repeat orders box and clicked it.

While all this occurs some orders seem to be skipped, some of my freighters and colony ships are in the middle of carrying out Unload orders even though they never loaded that cargo, for example. I also get similar failures from my civies for a couple increments afterward (Failed to unload colonist and the like).

What I was doing that I believe set this off was set up my luxury liners. As fluff I had designed a small luxury liner that was pretty fast and had a lot of Cargo Handling systems. I had built one of them for each colony and they were locked in a Cycle of (for example):
Load Colonists: Earth
Unload Colonists: Mars
Load Colonists: Mars
Unload Colonists: Earth
Refuel at Colony: Earth

The idea was that these guys did no net change to the population, so I didn't have to worry about over crowding, and then they were fluffed as dedicated liners for government personnel and property. I instantaneously transferred all of the officers and whatnot to and from planets hooked up to this network at whim, only actually using shuttles and whatnot for other bodies. The Earth to Mars version took three days to do this run at the very least, and often less. The Earth-Luna one was accomplishing this more than four times a day, loading unloading time included, and the game didn't like that one bit.

After a couple of these failures I thought that the unloading/loading may be the troublesome part, so I removed all those orders so that it was just
Move To: Mars
Refuel at Colony: Earth
and the game liked that even less, failing again almost immediately, I'm guessing because now there were many, many more orders being generated for that Earth-Luna liner.

After that point I just left all the liners at Earth, and I haven't had the problem since. I do like the idea though, so maybe I will set them back up with a three day delay in between runs or something like that.

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #498 on: December 02, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Yonder ... Thanks for the hint. That could very well be my problem.  I'd tried to solve a recurring management problem of my ships running out of supplies while sitting at Earth by giving them a "Resupply At Earth" order and putting it on 'cycle'.  Maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.  ;)

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #499 on: December 02, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »
Yonder ... Thanks for the hint. That could very well be my problem.  I'd tried to solve a recurring management problem of my ships running out of supplies while sitting at Earth by giving them a "Resupply At Earth" order and putting it on 'cycle'.  Maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.  ;)

I bet that's it.

BTW, if you are running out of supplies even at Earth then either you don't have enough Maintenance facilities (For every maintenance facility 200 tons is added to the size of the ship that planet can maintain. A planet can maintain unlimited numbers of ships at or below this size, except for fighters, which we will get to in a second) or you are missing some mineral needed for maintenance (if that is the case check your Event Updates (Ctrl + F3) you will be getting a message about it every turn).

Fighters, however, have different maintenance rules. They have to be in a hangar. You can either make an orbital ship with a Hangar (which is itself maintained by Maintenance facilities) and keep your fighters in there, or make a PDC for your fighters. PDCs have no maintenance needs.

Once you sort out your trouble you will want to overhaul your ships so that their Maintenance Clock goes down. The older a ship is the more often things break, your ships being old won't matter while they are in orbit and being maintained by your colony, but once they go somewhere they will start breaking down faster if they are old.

Offline DDR

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2011, 03:27:16 AM »
I encountered an error while reporting the next error:
The forum link given in the error box is not valid.
Also, could you please, please make it copypasteable?

Thanks,
 --DDR

Offline DDR

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »
Error 713 - Class not registered.  See attachment.
I did install MSSTDFMT. DLL, but it didn't solve the problem.  The bug occurs when I press f9 from the main window.

Thanks,
 --DDR

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #502 on: December 03, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Error
"error in updateallsensors"
"
"error 6 was generated by Aurora"
"Overflow"

I think I have asked this one before, but never got an answer.

I know the the cause for the error is the activation of a new sensor on an enemy ship.
This error causes the above error message to appear and force a physical action from myself.

Is there a work around for it, since in large battles, you have to sit at the computer and acknoledge each error for the turn to continue.
I am having a battle right now where a 5 second turn is taking 30-45 minutes.
would be nice to leave the battle on auto over several nights to advance the battle.

I think I have finally fixed this for the next version.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #503 on: December 03, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »
Error 713 - Class not registered.  See attachment.
I did install MSSTDFMT. DLL, but it didn't solve the problem.  The bug occurs when I press f9 from the main window.

Thanks,
 --DDR

This is a common issue and a simple search of the forums would give a few fixes.

The one that works for everybody is to install this http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-shutdown-timer and then uninstall it if you want, it leaves the DLL. I used it on my laptop, didn't need it on my desktop because I had Office2003 installed on it.

Steve can't do anything about it because of the way the old VB application installer works.

Offline DDR

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #504 on: December 03, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
Hunh, I did a search for error 713, but it didn't turn up squat.   :-\ Perhaps I mistyped? Sorry about that.
Anyhow, that error no longer occurs so I'm good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:16:53 PM by DDR »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #505 on: December 03, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
Hunh, I did a search for error 713, but it didn't turn up squat.   :-\ Perhaps I mistyped? Sorry about that.
Anyhow, that error no longer occurs so I'm good.

Make sure you are searching at the top level of the forums and remember to put "" around the search, so it is "Error 713". I just tried this and got a LOT of hits :)

Steve

Offline DDR

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #506 on: December 03, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
Oh, QUOTES! That's what I was missing! Thanks.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #507 on: December 03, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
Regardless if you are getting the error you should still install the program. Tbh.

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #508 on: December 06, 2011, 03:36:06 AM »
  I am starting a new game and I am modifing my ships and making some changes to the system and when I hit F3 I now get and Error 6 was generated by Aurora system Overflow for Displaying the system bodies and I should report it.  When I hit ok I can now see the system...  But if I zoom in or out I get the same Error...   Have I done something wrong?        Thanks....

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #509 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
  I am starting a new game and I am modifing my ships and making some changes to the system and when I hit F3 I now get and Error 6 was generated by Aurora system Overflow for Displaying the system bodies and I should report it.  When I hit ok I can now see the system...  But if I zoom in or out I get the same Error...   Have I done something wrong?        Thanks....

Try hitting the Min Zoom button near the top left.

Steve