Author Topic: The only mechanic that is bad is combat.  (Read 7199 times)

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: The only mechanic that is bad is combat.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
Try a value of 5 instead of 50.  

Just curious, why are you trying to use area with such a short ranged system?  Final would much more effective all things considered.

Simple, most of the missiles I run into fly at 25,000m/s or less. So I fire at 50,000 meters, again at 25,000 meters, and again point blank in that last 5 seconds.

Why fire once when I can fire 3 times?

For extra point blank fire I still have CIWS.

I also detect the missiles at really long range so by the missiles enter PD range I usually have a really high tracking bonus. I will tell you more about it next combat I get into and get you more exact numbers.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
Simple, most of the missiles I run into fly at 25,000m/s or less. So I fire at 50,000 meters, again at 25,000 meters, and again point blank in that last 5 seconds.

If a missile fly at 25,000m/s it will move 125,000m in one five second pulse before you can fire again.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »

For extra point blank fire I still have CIWS.

I also detect the missiles at really long range so by the missiles enter PD range I usually have a really high tracking bonus. I will tell you more about it next combat I get into and get you more exact numbers.

This doesn't make sense. 

First issue... game range scale is in kilometers not meters.

Second issue... the smallest time cycle for the game is 5 seconds which means that said missiles covers up to 125,000km.  2.5x the maximum range of your gauss cannons.  Manual targeting should only be able actually resolve a shot about 1 time in 3 chances.  You are probably not seeing this because the volume of systems within range are masking effect.

Third issue... manually targeted weapons will not be able to fire at missiles during the same 5 second impulse that said missiles intercept their target.  It's an issue with the game sequence, all movement is resolved prior to normal weapons fire.  The only exception is assigned final defensive fire which is resolve during movement.

@ any mod--- this really needs to be split to a separate topic in academy.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
This doesn't make sense. 

First issue... game range scale is in kilometers not meters.

Second issue... the smallest time cycle for the game is 5 seconds which means that said missiles covers up to 125,000km.  2.5x the maximum range of your gauss cannons.  Manual targeting should only be able actually resolve a shot about 1 time in 3 chances.  You are probably not seeing this because the volume of systems within range are masking effect.

Third issue... manually targeted weapons will not be able to fire at missiles during the same 5 second impulse that said missiles intercept their target.  It's an issue with the game sequence, all movement is resolved prior to normal weapons fire.  The only exception is assigned final defensive fire which is resolve during movement.

@ any mod--- this really needs to be split to a separate topic in academy.

Made a big math error on my part. now I feel stupid.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
Don't sweat it.  I get bit by the details quite often.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline doomsought

• Leading Rate
  • d
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
Final intercept allows weapons to get one chance to fire.  Mechanically, I'm sure I think it actually happens after the game recognizes that the missiles hit but before the game calculates miss chance.  I've seen my lasers set on PD automatically switch in the combat screen when missile speeds were too fast, so if you have weapons set to point defense they never will be completely useless.