Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 364420 times)

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3870 on: April 01, 2024, 03:50:38 AM »
Is there a way to automate the sending of sorium harvesters when full back to a planet to transfer fuel and then back to the gas giant to start again?

Edit - sorted
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:10:36 AM by undercovergeek »

Offline Protomolecule

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #3871 on: April 01, 2024, 07:15:57 AM »
Question about point defense mechanics.

Suppose I have 20 PD guns, each firing one shot, and on the Fire Control I assign one shot per missile.

Suppose the enemy have 10 missiles, with 1 decoy each. Does the game treats this salvo as a 20-missile salvo (and thus each missile and decoy take one shot) or is it treated as a 10-missile salvo (assigning only one shot for each missile+decoy, and thus giving only a 50% chance of destruction?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3872 on: April 01, 2024, 08:23:25 AM »
Question about point defense mechanics.

Suppose I have 20 PD guns, each firing one shot, and on the Fire Control I assign one shot per missile.

Suppose the enemy have 10 missiles, with 1 decoy each. Does the game treats this salvo as a 20-missile salvo (and thus each missile and decoy take one shot) or is it treated as a 10-missile salvo (assigning only one shot for each missile+decoy, and thus giving only a 50% chance of destruction?

Thank you in advance.

IIRC, counterintuitively, decoys do not appear "on screen".  So the fire control only sees 10 missiles, but firing one shot each, would still have a "wrap around" effect, all the guns assigned to PD should fire, so a 75% chance of destruction (assuming 100% hit chance).  Bean just did a pretty nice write-up here:  https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13521.msg169302#msg169302
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3873 on: April 01, 2024, 08:55:37 AM »
I have destroyed an enemy ship orbiting what turns out to be the prize of the galaxy so far - >65 million tons of everything at .8 or higher with ruins and a dormant complex

There are 113 million chaps on the surface and I’ve been orbiting without danger for 6 months now - is it ever safe to assume that there are no hostiles on the surface and I can land a meagre force to contact my new colonials?

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3874 on: April 01, 2024, 09:03:51 AM »
I have destroyed an enemy ship orbiting what turns out to be the prize of the galaxy so far - >65 million tons of everything at .8 or higher with ruins and a dormant complex

There are 113 million chaps on the surface and I’ve been orbiting without danger for 6 months now - is it ever safe to assume that there are no hostiles on the surface and I can land a meagre force to contact my new colonials?

Zoltan says outlook not good.

Or more precisely, you can always land them, extracting them is a different matter usually though...
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3875 on: April 01, 2024, 09:08:37 AM »

Have you had a ship with resolution 1 scanners scan the planet? That will detect ground forces.
Not sure how you get a count of 113 million people, I can't think of any sensor that will tell you that.  If it is saying 113 million tons that is an insanely huge ground force. And I am suprised STO Fire has not destroyed you.
As always time has no bearing on what you detect.  Although I would have expected someone with STO to open fire by now.
If you have a colony entry with 113 million people for some reason the colony has surrendered and is yours.   

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3876 on: April 01, 2024, 09:13:57 AM »
Away from game right now - I’m sure something said 113m pop - there is a res 1 scanner in orbit

Yup, I referred to time only to suggest I thought I would have been fired upon by now

Not sure how complex this next question is - assuming this is an alien race with different characteristics than mine - do I leave them there? Or do I ship my guys in and terraform it and watch these poor green men suffocate?

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3877 on: April 01, 2024, 10:53:17 AM »
There's pros and cons to leaving the natives on the planet.

Pro: you get 113m colonists - for free - who are likely to have perfect tolerances to conditions on that planet.
Con: They'll be rebellious and unproductive for a number of years. If you've got enough military landed there to keep them calm, they'll eventually 'level up' to become full citizens. Production starts at just 20%, rising 20% each time they improve their status. This can be somewhat mitigated by governors with +mining%.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #3878 on: April 01, 2024, 11:33:01 AM »
Apart the command "Transfer Maint Supplies to Colony" in the naval orders, how can maintenance supplies be transported to a colony?
How can a cargo ship be filled with supplies and sent to resupply a colony?
I have colonies without (or with very low availability of) Gallicite, but with plenty of other minerals. So, I would like they could act as both production sites and navy support.
But, having to constantly send maint supplies from other systems (that are some jumps away) makes the second role much difficult.
Should I build a cargo with several Maintenance Storage Bays, and no Cargo Holds?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 11:40:11 AM by paolot »

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3879 on: April 01, 2024, 12:06:57 PM »
Apart the command "Transfer Maint Supplies to Colony" in the naval orders, how can maintenance supplies be transported to a colony?
How can a cargo ship be filled with supplies and sent to resupply a colony?
I have colonies without (or with very low availability of) Gallicite, but with plenty of other minerals. So, I would like they could act as both production sites and navy support.
But, having to constantly send maint supplies from other systems (that are some jumps away) makes the second role much difficult.
Should I build a cargo with several Maintenance Storage Bays, and no Cargo Holds?
Yes, you should build a ship that can transport maintenance supplies and use the order you identified.

Maintenance supplies, like fuel and missiles (though perhaps a bit more oddly), cannot be transported as general cargo.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #3880 on: April 01, 2024, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks, Ulzgoroth!!
Peculiar, imho, but manageable.  :) :)

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3881 on: April 01, 2024, 02:52:16 PM »
Scrolling through the hull types did I see slave transporter?

What slave mechanics are in the game?

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3882 on: April 01, 2024, 03:39:15 PM »
That's the Raiders gimmick.

Steve's never exactly spelled out how their economy works, but if they're able to successfully raid planets and steal their population, I suspect it'll mean higher tech and/or more ships coming at you.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #3883 on: April 01, 2024, 04:48:42 PM »
Is it correct that I see the size of the boat bay module being 262.5 tons? Looks weird.

Online pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #3884 on: April 01, 2024, 11:49:38 PM »
Is it correct that I see the size of the boat bay module being 262.5 tons? Looks weird.

Boat bays (and small boat bays) are in line with military hangar decks; all three deliver a round number in hangar tonnage with 5% overhead in the mothership:
- Hangar Deck: 1000t hangar space, 1050t mothership volume
- Boat Bay: 250t hangar space, 262.5t mothership volume
- Boat Bay - Small: 50t hangar space, 52.5t mothership volume

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser