Author Topic: Gothic III - Comments Thread  (Read 2409 times)

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Gothic III - Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 10:54:03 AM »
How do you get pink lines between stars? Are they a special
 thing? I haven't had that in any of my games.

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 07:23:31 AM »
How do you get pink lines between stars? Are they a special
 thing? I haven't had that in any of my games.

They are military-restricted jump points. You can set them on the system view.

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024, 02:34:32 PM »
The NPRs don't always coordinate their salvos of the same missile type from the same location. As a result of this campaign, I have added some extra AI code so that NPR ships considering launching ASMs will be aware of the reload status of other NPR ships in the same location, even if not in the same fleet, and may wait for them in order to coordinate their attacks.

This still doesn't affect AAM ships in ASM mode, but I will tackle that if the ASM change works.

It also doesn't affect situations where one or more NPR ships have longer-ranged fire controls and may fire when other ships are still out of range. However, once two ships or more are within range, they will coordinate. I decided to ignore the 'longer-ranged' firing first situation because I don't want to get into the AI deciding if firing some missiles early and then coordinating later salvos is better than saving missiles and launching together, as they would have to consider opponent weapon range, PD, chance of their own ships being destroyed, etc..

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Garfunkel, Kiero, Warer, BigBacon, skoormit, gpt3

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 10:32:37 AM »
Dear Steve, in the description of the battle for Carpathia II on March 4031, you name "the battle-hardened Janus Corps".
I am still not good at ground combat, so I wonder if being "battle-hardened" allows better performance of this unit.

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2024, 12:44:10 PM »
I am still not good at ground combat, so I wonder if being "battle-hardened" allows better performance of this unit.
Pretty sure he's just saying that the unit had previously been in combat.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2024, 01:00:22 PM »
Dear Steve, in the description of the battle for Carpathia II on March 4031, you name "the battle-hardened Janus Corps".

No, it is purely for flavor.

After two more waves, with eleven and fifteen hits respectively, the senior commander, Lord Captain Arabella Typhon, ordered her two ships to cease point defence fire, relying only on shields, speed and ECM. Four more waves arrived, without any torpedo detonations affecting the cruisers’ armour.
:o

I guess with PD fire costing MSP now, there's a real meta role for heavily-shielded ships to save wear on the gun barrels. I'd almost worry about trivializing the Necrons, but this is against one ship with a huge tonnage advantage and a tech level advantage, so I probably shouldn't draw sweeping conclusions here.

One day later, the survey frigate Tempest investigated a jump point in Macharia, six transits from Sol via the shortest route, and discovered Cadia, a system with an orange K2-V star, three terrestrial planets, a dwarf planet and a single moon, orbiting the fourth planet. Just outside the orbit of the second planet was a strange phenomenon; a vast rift in space ten million kilometres in diameter. Imperium Intelligence designated it as an ‘Aether Rift’, as it appeared to penetrate through both known space and the Aether to somewhere beyond.

Of course the system just happened to be named Cadia, naturally, definitely not a stealthy rename for story purposes at all...  ;)

Baneblade Super-heavy Tank
Transport Size (tons) 228     Cost 41.04     Armour 108     Hit Points 144
Annual Maintenance Cost 5.1     Resupply Cost 99
Super-Heavy Anti-Vehicle:      Shots 1      Penetration 135      Damage 135
Heavy Crew-Served Anti-Personnel:      Shots 6      Penetration 22.5      Damage 15
Heavy Crew-Served Anti-Personnel:      Shots 6      Penetration 22.5      Damage 15

Hearts attacks take out anywhere from 5-10% of the Adeptus Munitorum every time these bad boys are deployed to a war zone. An acceptable rate of attrition, of course.

I anticipate hostilities with the T'au at some point, hopefully this will require a ground invasion of the home world so we can get a look at what that looks like from Steve's perspective.  ;D

Online doodle_sm

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2024, 10:57:24 AM »

In spirit, yes!
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2024, 07:27:01 PM »
Those XB upgrades were pretty smart but are you really short of wealth or was it more to speed up the upgrades?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 08:42:30 AM »
Those XB upgrades were pretty smart but are you really short of wealth or was it more to speed up the upgrades?

Because it was a conventional start, I still don't have a very large fleet, so I am refitting less than I normally do. I still have a couple of ion-engined light cruisers, which I haven't refitted because its about the same cost as a new ship and I wanted the new ships. So it was a time-saving refit, plus Gallicite supplies are a little tight.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel