Author Topic: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience  (Read 7973 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »
Quote from: "Rathos"
Edit: I parred it down a bit. I tried to make it small as possible while preserving the jump-capability.

I just realized a problem with your game strategy:  Civies won't look for jump routes without jump gates.  In other words, having jump-capable civie designs won't do your civie lines any good - they need the jump gate network.  I don't think there's any way around this - it's something Steve would have to change (presumably by putting a button "civies will buy jump-capable designs" in).  Note that he might not want to make this change - he might be relying on the jump gate network to cut the algorithmic complexity (read performance cost) of the civie trade-route-searching code.

Sounds like a good item for the suggestions thread....

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
"Today is a sad day for the Imperium. Star searcher One was destroyed by 'Aliens' for now the government is calling them the St Louis Aliens. 50 of their vessels stormed in out of no where at 9999m/s and proceed to launch meson beam attack after meson beam attack. The ship tried to flee, but was unable to out run them despite the relative closeness of the jump point. Luckily the aliens were not able to destroy all of the automatic communication probes the ship used to communicate with home. The entire scene was recorded by the drones as they shot out of the system at 50km/s. The emperor is already demanding that the Bureaucrat Council give him back control of the government. Instead they decided to change the currently in-construction Starsearcher 3 into a warvessel and send it to attack these evil aliens."

Since the Bureaucrats are caught between the emperor and public opinion they have to retaliate against the aliens. If they fail the emperor will gain control and things will change. The Bureaucrats started building a:

Code: [Select]
Vengance class Superdreadnought    100000 tons     11570 Crew     15422 BP      TCS 2000  TH 1920  EM 1200
960 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 10-191     Shields 40-300     Sensors 245/250/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 1092
Annual Failure Rate: 80000%    IFR: 1111.1%    Maintenance Capacity 96 MSP    Max Repair 1600 MSP
Magazine 840    

J100000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 100000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Magneto-plasma Drive E5 (24)    Power 80    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,720,000 Litres    Range 61.9 billion km   (746 days at full power)
Alpha R300/9 Shields (40)   Total Fuel Cost  360 Litres per day

Quad 12cm C2 Visible Light Laser Turret AT5 (10x4)    Range 80,000km     TS: 10000 km/s     Power 16-8     RM 2    ROF 10        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
12cm C2 Visible Light Laser (3)    Range 80,000km     TS: 2000 km/s     Power 4-2     RM 2    ROF 10        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
CIWS-80 (5x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control S16 64-8000 (1)    Max Range: 128,000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     92 84 77 69 61 53 45 37 30 22

Size 24 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (35)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 720
Missile Fire Control FC156-R14 (2)     Range 65.5m km    Resolution 14

Active Search Sensor S600-R1 (1)     GPS 600     Range 6.0m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor S600-R14 (1)     GPS 8400     Range 84.0m km    Resolution 14
Active Search Sensor S600-R200 (1)     GPS 120000     Range 1,200.0m km    Resolution 200
Active Search Sensor S600-R500 (1)     GPS 300000     Range 3,000.0m km    Resolution 500
Thermal Sensor TH49-245 (1)     Sensitivity 245     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  245m km
EM Detection Sensor EM50-250 (1)     Sensitivity 250     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  250m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Production is already underway and is slated to be completed in only two or three years (haha) the people however are convinced because it is so big. We'll see how the burecrats ship manages against 50 800 ton enemy ships plus whatever else is hidden in there. I'm betting it won't do very well since its the first ship I made for combat. Did I forget anything that will cause it not to be able to fight back?

Edit: That is really sad that civies can't use jumpdrives...I guess I won't have any civilians. Well maybe I'll make a few freighter groups and tell them to go back and forth to make it look like civies.

Edit2; Something wierd happened. 3 Economic Class Jump Freighters were suddenly completed on earth...but wait...I don't even have a shipyard tooled for them nor did I tell anything to build them! Where did they come from!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
Edit2; Something wierd happened. 3 Economic Class Jump Freighters were suddenly completed on earth...but wait...I don't even have a shipyard tooled for them nor did I tell anything to build them! Where did they come from!

Have you been changinge unlocked designs?  That's the most likely culprit.

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »
No, thats not it. I still have both the Starhauler and the Economic class in my list. Also wouldn't the shipyard show economic class being built? When I made the economic class I just copied starhauler renamed it and then shaved it a bit. I just found out my ship can only carry 35 missiles!

And now ...

I get a

Error in UpdateAllSensors
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report

When my ship entered the system

It won't go away so i guess my game has ended again....=*(

I managed to fix it by removing all the active sensors on my ship then putting new ones on it. Then the fight was on! Immediately the alien ships showed up, only this time there was 86 of them! My captain yelled for the missile tubes to be loaded and to fire, but to his dismay he was informed they only loaded enough missiles to fire half the tubes...once. It also took a while to get in range, but when they did the captain ordered all the tubes to fire! Wooosh all the missiles flew out....and after a few hours they impacted and blew one evil bad alien to smitherens. The entire crew cheered at that. Sadly there was still 85 left...and two new active sensors appeared on the other side of the system.

That was when the captain ordered the retreat unfortunately they didn't get very far. The aliens closed in and the captain ordered the quad laser batteries to open fire the second they got in range. Unforunately the crew informed him that they where not ready to fire yet. And 85 meson beams clashed into the ship wrecking its systems. "The captain yelled why aren't we firing back!?" The crew could only reply where not ready to fire yet! Five seconds passed...and still the beams did not fire. Then 85 more mesons crashed into the ship splatter more and more of the systems fuel tanks exploded engines blew apart crew died. Still the ship was giant...it could take the punishment. The captain yelled again! "Why haven't we fired in gods name!!" The crew only could reply "Where not ready to fire yet!" Then 85 more mesons blasted in...and one struck the active sensors....and the beams who never got to fire lost targeting data...then salvo after salvo after salve of 85  mesons blasted into the ship until finally it blew apart.

The emperor could only say "I told you so" and the people burned the Bureacrats offices to the ground.

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »
You forgot reactors to power those lasers. Also, resolution 200 and 500 sensors are a bit of an overkill; you are unlikely to find anything that big to sense.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
No, thats not it. I still have both the Starhauler and the Economic class in my list. Also wouldn't the shipyard show economic class being built? When I made the economic class I just copied starhauler renamed it and then shaved it a bit.
Don't be so sure of that - my recollection is that the message about what a SY is doing is generated when the command is given, so it might claim to be retooling to a Shark class, but in actuality you renamed Shark to Guppy and when the task completes it's a Guppy (except I can't remember if it's retooling or construction that has this feature - I think it's ship construction).
I just found out my ship can only carry 35 missiles!
One of the common laments on this board is "I just discovered that my magazine capacity was woefully inadequate", so you're not alone :-)  BTW, you should have had magazine capacity for at least one full salvo.  So it sounds like your default loadout (ordnance tab on the F5 screen) might be messed up.
Unforunately the crew informed him that they where not ready to fire yet. And 85 meson beams clashed into the ship wrecking its systems. "The captain yelled why aren't we firing back!?" The crew could only reply where not ready to fire yet! Five seconds passed...and still the beams did not fire. Then 85 more mesons crashed into the ship splatter more and more of the systems fuel tanks exploded engines blew apart crew died. Still the ship was giant...it could take the punishment. The captain yelled again! "Why haven't we fired in gods name!!" The crew only could reply "Where not ready to fire yet!"
In case you haven't figured it out already, this is caused by the "Task Force training" rating, which for you was probably 0%.  To get more responsiveness from your crew, either turn the option off on the startup screen :-)

Great write-up, btw - I was rofl.

John

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
Civilians will use jump freighters - IF you park a ship with a big enough jump engine on a warp point (in a separate Task Group, all by itself) the civilians will then treat it as a jump gate and conduct trade through it.  So if you don't want to build jump gates, build a lot of governement freighters, park them on warp points (only one is needed for each WP, it will pop back and forth to whichever side it's needed on), and leave them there.

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »
Quote from: "Magnnus"
You forgot reactors to power those lasers. Also, resolution 200 and 500 sensors are a bit of an overkill; you are unlikely to find anything that big to sense.

My ships are that big to sense, so if any of them go rogue and rebel, they will be able to sense each other at long range.

The emperor immediately began to call in his favors and supporters and tried to take back control of the government. Unfortunately the bureaucracy, like any bureaucracy that has been around for years it was well entrenched and has pulled up legal clause after clause preventing the emperor from taking over. Finally after a month of all this the Emperor got fed up and ordered the Emperor's own, his personal Heavy Mobile Assault Infantry Marine battalion to storm the government building. Unfortunately the conventional battalions that protect the capital thought this was a rebel attack and sided with the bureaucrats in fear that the capital would be lost. The fighting has been intense and the Emperor's forces have been slowly pushed back to the Imperial Palace.

Then this ship showed up in orbit:

Emperor class Missile SuperDreadnought    100000 tons     7060 Crew     16685.5201 BP      TCS 2000  TH 1680  EM 300
840 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 10-191     Shields 10-300     Sensors 30/30/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 180
Annual Failure Rate: 80000%    IFR: 1111.1%    Maintenance Capacity 104 MSP    Max Repair 1600 MSP
Flag Bridge    Magazine 10404    

J100000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 100000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Magneto-plasma Drive E5 (21)    Power 80    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 920,000 Litres    Range 33.1 billion km   (456 days at full power)
Alpha R300/9 Shields (10)   Total Fuel Cost  90 Litres per day

CIWS-80 (20x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Size 24 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (10)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 720
Missile Fire Control FC156-R14 (10)     Range 65.5m km    Resolution 14

Active Search Sensor S600-R14 (5)     GPS 8400     Range 84.0m km    Resolution 14
Active Search Sensor S600-R200 (1)     GPS 120000     Range 1,200.0m km    Resolution 200
Active Search Sensor S600-R500 (1)     GPS 300000     Range 3,000.0m km    Resolution 500
Active Search Sensor S600-R1 (1)     GPS 600     Range 6.0m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH6-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km
EM Detection Sensor EM6-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

It was secretly constructed in the Fredrika Shipyards by staunch supporters of the Emperor. The Bureaucrats had one upped themselves with all the paper work required and while the reports on the construction of the ship slowly filtered their way up to the top, they were misplaced when an aide to a high level official accidentally filed them under meat consumption priority - low. The ship dipped out of orbit and hovered above the capital, its giant structure dwarfing everything. The conventional forces paused their attack long enough to extract themselves from the battle and became strictly neutral. The Emperor's Own entered the government building forced all the unarmed bureaucrats out of it and then set demo charges and blew it up along with all the paper work.

The Government HQ is now the Imperial Palace, and while problems with the bureaucrats will still occur...after all we can't get rid of them cause they run everything, at least things will be more sane.

Fresh from the Emperor's Battleforge are Furry-22 Pack missiles! Scientists aren't sure if they will work, but they are supposed to be launched at long range, then after 15 million kilometers will burst into 22 individual fury missiles each packing a 1 size warhead and a 22% chance to hit those 10,000m/s ships. The Emperor MSD can carry 432 of them, but some conventional old type missiles have been included as well just in-case the fury missiles don't work.

Now that the situation on the ground is contained, the MSD is training in Sol blasting asteroids and preparing to purge the alien presence in St. Louis.

Also, Starhaulers have been obsoleted in favor of the New Economic Class Jump Freighter. The old Starhaulers are going to be placed at jump points to see if that encourages more civilian traffic between Austin and Sol.

Situation Report, Complete.

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
The Emperor's Own battleship flashed into the system. At its bridge stood Fleet Admiral Lord Napoleon Sartorelli, the Emperor's brother and fourth in line for the throne.

"All stations combat alert." He ordered. The bridge was awash in communications, the Superdreadnought required thousands of men and women to run properly, and he had nearly a hundred officers in front of him. "Bring us about, set maximum speed for the jump point."

"Aye, Aye, Captain." That was the helmsman, who was ranked a commander.

That is one damn problem with this ship Sartorelli thought. It is too top heavy, to much brass. He was technically the highest ranked man in the entire navy, but that was a facade created by the emperor. The Vice Admirals in Fleet Ops ran everything. He was just a figurehead that made the emperor look good. He had a chest full of medals, of which he had actually earned two of the highest awards for heroism in the face of danger. The rest were all cheap baubles to impress the Bureaucrats that still plagued the Imperium.

"Comm, open communications, all frequency bands possible."

"Sir, but we are the only ship in the system..."

"Just do it." The Tech complied.

Sartorelli tapped his headset and spoke into the communicator.

"You alien bastards, we are here, come and die."

He tapped it off. By god, he would show them why words like "Courageous, Determined, and Follows orders without question" appeared on his fleet profile.

"Order all missile tubes, slave to their individual fire controls and prep Fury-22 packs. Raise Shields, not that they do any good against the bastards."

He had watched the tapes of the aliens attacking the Star Search One, and the Bureaucrats warship a hundred times. The meson cannons they sported went through armor and shields like they weren't there.

"Captain, we have arrived at the jump point."

"Good. Cease all maneuvering. Spin the jump-drives up but do not - I repeat do not engage them."

That was all he had left to do, so he sat down and waited while listening to the chatter on the dreadnought. He fell asleep.

"Captain!"

Sartorelli opened his eyes. He immediately looked at the sitrep. Finally, those bastards took long enough. They had been waiting for three days for the aliens to show themselves. Finally they did.

"Enemy ships at 84 million kilometers and closing at 10 thousand meters per second. Contacts number....eighty five."

Sartorelli nodded.

"Unkown active sensor detected at several billion kilometers, near the star!"

Sartorelli hoped it was not another swarm.

He sat back down. It would be over and hour before they finally entered into close enough range for him to open fire.

Finally the time came and the aliens stepped over that invisible line.

"Missile tubes one through ten acquire individual targets and fire once!" Sartorelli tapped his fingers on the arm rest of his chair, this was when he would learn whether the new missiles would work or not. Damn the bureaucrats for not letting him test them out before this.

The missiles spat out of the ten tubes along the hull of the dreadnought. They came out perfectly thanks to the the intense four year training plan he had put in place before leaving. Even with it, only 3 in 10 of his crewmen where what he would consider acceptable, but most of those he did approve of where the missile launch crews.

"Order fire control to target 10 different ships."

"Fire control reports targets acquired. Missile tubes loading and can fire again in 720 seconds."

When the time came he ordered "Fire!" Twenty five seconds later the missile tubes obliged and another volley went out.

"Again!"

"720 seconds!"

"Tell them to get it down to 700! Or I'll come down there and I'll do it for them!"

Halfway between shots the sensor technician spoke. "Captain, I have confirmed Fury-22 MIRV release, the first volley has released its payload. Two hundred and twenty confirmed. They are on target."

Thank all the gods that ever existed.

Another salvo spit out.

Damnit. The enemy had already closed almost all the way and were almost to the 6m km line.

"Reload all tubes, but cease fire. Order engineering to prepare to jump."

They had only gotten three salvos off. There were still 55 enemy ships left. If Fleet Int was wrong about the aliens ability to jump...

"Estimated impact, eight minutes, first salvo."

They waited.

"Impact! Sensors are registering ninety-eight nuclear explosions!"

Sartorelli cursed. He knew that their accuracy was bad, but he thought they would get more hits than that.

"Sir I'm not detecting any destroyed ships."

Another curse. This was quickly becoming a disaster. If their escape didn't work...

"Sir, four of the targeted enemy ships stopped closing with us."

So they had felt that love tap eh?

"Order fire control to target the damaged ships, and fire!"

"Sir! Sensors indicate a enemy ship is travelling at....at...89999 m/s!"

"What!?"

"Its fleeing!"

"Keep firing, target the ships we've already fired at!"

Missile lept out, the second salvo slammed into the alients with equally unspectacular results. Then the third hit the same.

"Sir the aliens are ontop of the Fury pack before it has released it's payload!"

Dammit, he had fired anyway, hoping the missiles would still work.

"Strength 0 nuclear explosion!"

"Enemy ships at two million kilometers!"

They had failed.

"Order engineering. Combat jump, now!"

The Emperor's Own Missile Super Dreadnought flashed out of the system.

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
work on upgrading the warhead size and drive speed and good luck... also funny thing is your superdreadnaught is the same size as my jump battlecruiser :)

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
Years later, the dreadnought returned with improved missile launcher systems and missile packs (Fury III 9-Packs =D )

Much death was rained on the aliens. (Damn I had to target each and every single enemy ship indvidually with each individual fire control...what a pain in the ass!!! Is there a better way? Auto FC just has all the missiles target 1 ship...Where I need 1 Mirv missile pack to target each one seperately.)

[col:1khggybx][/col:1khggybx]

Edit:

We found a giant enemy ship in the system the weighs 60 thousand tons. It says it has 18000 shields. I hope the new missiles can smash it!

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
watch as it laughs your feeble missiles off like nothing, just watch

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
It died. Each one of those 9 packs is a size 24 with my newest missile technology available. It was a far improvement over the furys and fury IIs. Now i'm developed Fury III Smart 3-Packs that have a pod with sensors in it. So if the target gets blown up the pod will re-target before releasing the fury missiles.

My people don't have any faith in anything but missiles anymore.

Instead of continuing the purge of the system, orders have come in to fall back to Maine where a permanent picket will be established around the jump point.

Civilian ships have started to appear after I made a normal freighter ship. Like 10 appeared almost immediately, but they don't' do anything, because I don't think they can go through the jump point even with my jump freighter there at every single point on each side between Sol and Austin. I've started transforming Mars to make a second population base for Earth to trade with.

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:46 AM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:40:58 AM by Rathos »

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
you have a freighter faster than your patrol ship