Author Topic: Corporate Federation - Comments  (Read 25919 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Corporate Federation - Comments
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »
Yeah that's rough, I guess you are probably gonna have to take your licks from any AMM those stations have.

Does the Federation have any plans to invest in energy weapons tactics? It doesn't seem like this use of missiles is long term sustainable.

Funny you should say that...

As you will see in 2144 the Republic begins to question its chosen strategy.  Of course, a lot of things happen in 2144. 

Kurt

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
Yeah that's rough, I guess you are probably gonna have to take your licks from any AMM those stations have.

Does the Federation have any plans to invest in energy weapons tactics? It doesn't seem like this use of missiles is long term sustainable.

Funny you should say that...

As you will see in 2144 the Republic begins to question its chosen strategy.  Of course, a lot of things happen in 2144. 

Kurt

Okay, now I'm responding to my own posts.  That says something about me, but I'm not sure what.  A demonstration of efficiency?  Independence?  Or a cluttered mind?

Anyway, to expand on the above situation encountered by the Republic, they were shocked that the Dregluk were able to put up a wall of defensive fire that was able to stop their missile attack in its tracks.  The Federation, and its successor the Republic, had played around with gauss cannon turrets, but had never been too impressed with the results and so by this point they have been completely phased out of the fleet.  With their successful use by the Dregluk, the Republic is going to have to reassess their effectiveness.  After all, the Dregluk were able to stop a massive salvo of war-winning ASM's launched mostly from box launchers.  I can't overstate this.  The Bludgeon IV and Thunderbolt IV are the pinnacle of ASM technology as far as the Republic is concerned.  They have demolished the Dregluk fleet and driven them back to the Dregluk home world with these missiles, and to have them fail now, in such a dramatic way, is going to cause a big reassessment. 

The Republican Fleet's next attempt will be to try and launch a coordinated attack, timed so as to ensure that the Thunderbolt and Bludgeon ASM's, which have different speeds, will arrive at the target simultaneously in an attempt to overwhelm the planet's defenses.  This is cheap and easy, as it just means building and transporting enough missiles, not fundamental changes.  However, if this attack fails then it is back to the drawing board. 

Building more missile ships to launch a larger salvo is problematic, as the Earth's economy can't support the current expenditure of missiles.  Sending more ships to support the next offensive is possible, but would mean stripping the home system of mobile units, which isn't politically viable and probably just not smart in general.  In any case, it isn't clear that it would work anyway.  Were the Dregluk defenses at their limit and close to failure?  Or did they have plenty of reserve capacity?  There is no way to know at this point. 

One thing is sure, Earth's economy is creaking, and TN resources are going to start running out.  The Republic has been effectively blockading the Dregluk in their Home System for some time now, but the Republic's leaders are beginning to worry that a day of reckoning for their economy is approaching.  If their economy tanks, and they can't build enough missiles to supply their fleet, how long until Dregluk ships return to the Solar System?

Kurt

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »
A potential middle ground could be to produce MIRV-style special bombardment missiles, sacrificing individual warhead strength for multiplying salvo size dramatically. Still expensive, but not as much as a total doctrine shift

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
A potential middle ground could be to produce MIRV-style special bombardment missiles, sacrificing individual warhead strength for multiplying salvo size dramatically. Still expensive, but not as much as a total doctrine shift

That is possible, but the Republic (meaning me <G>) hasn't had much luck with multiple stage missiles.  A missile re-design for a dedicated planetary assault missile using already developed components is likely the answer here, if the next attack fails. 

Kurt 

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2019, 11:51:26 AM »
The Dregluk decided to get competent for a battle, that was brutal. The Republic is learning some hard lessons about energy weapon use.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
Whoa. I was sure the Dregluk were beaten but that just goes to show how things can change! Quite a tense battle.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Those Gauss cannons are surprisingly effective against those fast missiles of yours. Turretted? I assume so. Now im wondering if it is viable to give a fleet so much pd fire that missiles are ineffective against it.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
Proceeding with the attack after again witnessing the potency of Dregluk point defense? Maybe this big salvo will score some hits, but I'm expecting the bulk of the orbital defenses to remain in place.

A good thing for the soul of humanity that the new administration's genocidal plans seem to be infeasible.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2019, 05:18:14 PM »
. . .  Now im wondering if it is viable to give a fleet so much pd fire that missiles are ineffective against it.

Absolutely!

(Unless you have a tech disadvantage.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:24:17 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »
You could just reload all your heavier launchers with Thunderbolt IVs you know. . .  ;D

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2019, 11:14:41 PM »
You could just reload all your heavier launchers with Thunderbolt IVs you know. . .  ;D

I could, but...#1, I don't have that many Thunderbolt IV's.  Missile stocks are shockingly low, and the Home Fleet is currently mostly armed with Thunderbolt III's and Bludgeon III's just to keep the 1st Fleet stocked with the more advanced missiles.  #2, the Bludgeon's are better missiles all around.  While a bit slower, they have armor, ECM, and on-board sensors.  At 15 MSP's they'd better be good!

Kurt   

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:12 PM »
Whoa. I was sure the Dregluk were beaten but that just goes to show how things can change! Quite a tense battle.

I thought so too!  Pretty much the best battle against the Dregluk since some of the early ones.  Because this is VB6 Aurora, I'm pretty sure it was an accident that the Dregluk managed to put together an effective squadron, with both missile defenses and offensive strength.  The Republic (meaning  me, of course) had gotten over-confident because of their long string of victories, and this one set them back a bit, especially losing that HuK.  Those three ships are heroes to the people back home.  The people back home are somewhat numb to losses at this point, but this won't endear the Dregluk to the average citizen of the Republic. 

Kurt   

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2019, 11:26:19 PM »
The Dregluk decided to get competent for a battle, that was brutal. The Republic is learning some hard lessons about energy weapon use.

Very much so.  The failure of the first attack on Dregluk Prime, and now this very difficult battle, is leading the Admiralty towards re-evaluating beam and gauss weapons in a big way.  Of course, the coming economic hardships and the difficultly of manufacturing enough missiles to feed a missile-heavy fleet is also having a big effect. 

Kurt

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »
Those Gauss cannons are surprisingly effective against those fast missiles of yours. Turretted? I assume so. Now im wondering if it is viable to give a fleet so much pd fire that missiles are ineffective against it.

Yes, they were very effective.  Shockingly so, given the previous effectiveness of the Republic's missiles.  Having said that, remember that the Dregluk CA's are over 18,000 tons, so they are pretty big ships, especially compared to the Republic.  The Republic's frigates are 6,000 tons, while its DD's are 10-12,000 tons. 

Still, Those three Dregluk CA's managed to stop everything the fleet threw at them.  And the Dregluk home world's defenses stopped a very large missile salvo.  I really, really, didn't expect that.  Very interesting development. 

Kurt

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
I'm pretty skeptical of the chances of this fast missile plan too. Even if the fleet lands some hits, will they actually do enough damage to degrade the orbital defenses?