Author Topic: Jump Gate Construction/Destruction (split suggestions)  (Read 1569 times)

Offline GeaXle

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
Re: Jump Gate Construction/Destruction (split suggestions)
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
Currently I believe that jump gates (or stabilized jump points) should be permanent, for the reasons I listed earlier. The only way I would change that belief is if someone convinced me that an ability to remove jump gates would provide a 'game play' benefit.

An argument for whether the unspecified stabilization process for a fictitious object can be reversed is going to have less influence on that decision.

I would like to be able to un-build jump points for the following game play reasons:
- RP: perhaps a terrorist organisation disrupt the jump point to a recent colony
- to slow down an invasion
- to disrupt trade and logistic lines of enemies

Offline Hazard

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
The biggest issue with losing jump gates is the civilian logistics problem which now either has to recalculate a route to the intended destination and/or cancel a delivery. The player logistics issue solves itself; there's an 'insufficient jump drive capacity' message that also kills time progression.

Frankly, I think there's a fairly simple way to handle the problem. If a civilian ship is confronted with not having a gate at a jump point it triggers the routing code for a new route that follows the rules. If there is a route, it now starts following it. If there isn't, check cargo, and check for a place that wants that cargo. If it exists and is in range of the routing code limits, calculate a new route and go, if there's no place willing to receive the cargo, dump the cargo. Yes, this means that hundreds of thousands of colonists can disappear from your nation, unless you want to just dump them on a colony regardless of capacity.

An exception to this would be buildings, which can be hauled with civilian contracts. All buildings except Infrastructure (because those are a trade good) get routed to the nearest colony, even if that colony is uninhabited. If you don't dump colonies out into space but instead want to also bring them somewhere they get dropped off at the nearest already inhabited colony instead.

Offline the obelisk

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
If it exists and is in range of the routing code limits, calculate a new route and go, if there's no place willing to receive the cargo, dump the cargo. Yes, this means that hundreds of thousands of colonists can disappear from your nation, unless you want to just dump them on a colony regardless of capacity.

I think it would be better to leave civilians at colonies regardless of capacity.

Offline Father Tim

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »
The means to remove Jump Gates already exists.  It's called SM Mode.  Therefore, what we are arguing about is whether NPRs should be able to destroy Jump Gates.

Ever since their invention I have been strongly in the "Jump Gates are forever" camp.  I found them to be a compelling strategic dilemma -- build a "superhighway for invasion" or complicate my logistics?  I found them so dangerous, I hardly ever built one and I have started countless wars over my refusal to let NPRs -- any NPRs -- build them anywhere I considered dangerous.

Personally, my first choice would be for Jump Gates to not be buildable by players / NPRs.  The random scattering of Precursor jump gates throughout the universe then becomes interesting terrain.  "Ooh, a Col Cost 0.4 world with lots of 0.7 Duranium, but there's a Jump Gate leading right into the system from Unknown Space!"

It also means if you want to build quarter-million-ton orbital habitats, you need to build quarter-million-ton jump ships if you want to move them to another system.

My second choice is for player/NPR-built Jump Gates to be instantly and easily destroyable --  guaranteed BOOM from even a single point of damage!  I would also make Jump Gate Construction Ships consume wealth & minerals every Construction Cycle they're building a gate.  (It has been so long since I built a Jump Gate I can't remember if this is the way it currently works or not.)

Whatever Steve decides for Jump Gates, I will continue to hardly ever build them.  If I am able (other than SM Mode), I will probably destroy any I find leading towards my territory.

Offline Garfunkel

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #49 on: Today at 03:33:19 PM »
Wait wait what? How do I remove Jump Gates in SM mode?

Offline the obelisk

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #50 on: Today at 05:52:28 PM »
Could have sworn I responded to this earlier but I'm seeing it.  Oh well.

Personally, my first choice would be for Jump Gates to not be buildable by players / NPRs.  The random scattering of Precursor jump gates throughout the universe then becomes interesting terrain.  "Ooh, a Col Cost 0.4 world with lots of 0.7 Duranium, but there's a Jump Gate leading right into the system from Unknown Space!"
I think it would be far better to have that be an option you could choose at the start of the game.  Alternatively, iirc we might be able to determine how much RP is needed for any particular tech, and you could simply lock jump gates behind absurdly high numbers.

It also means if you want to build quarter-million-ton orbital habitats, you need to build quarter-million-ton jump ships if you want to move them to another system.
I'd argue that this is a very good reason for why jump gates shouldn't be removed.

My second choice is for player/NPR-built Jump Gates to be instantly and easily destroyable --  guaranteed BOOM from even a single point of damage!  I would also make Jump Gate Construction Ships consume wealth & minerals every Construction Cycle they're building a gate.  (It has been so long since I built a Jump Gate I can't remember if this is the way it currently works or not.)
I'd be interested in turning jump gates into a type of station with a special component that gives it its properties, and having construction ships be capable of creating them in space using minerals and/or parts.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52