Author Topic: Naming Theme Suggestions  (Read 15998 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
Re: Naming Theme Suggestions
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2020, 04:59:58 AM »
Well, I've completed version 2 of my additional commander namelist archive.    I've added over a dozen more nationalities/ethnicities with thousands of new names.    I would've added more, but there is a limitation I've found with Aurora itself that prevent me from doing so.    Namely, it does not differentiate between male and female-specific surnames, 'cause you can only add one surname file.    This is important for countries like Lithuania and Iceland, where men and women have starkly different naming conventions from each other.    Even so, there's a lot to unpack here, and I'm quite pleased with my progress.    I hope this makes your human-centric games feel far more diverse and immersive! Also, as stated before, this is not my original work.    I simply lifted them from the old XCOM Enemy Unknown mod Enhanced Namelists.    The mod creator deserves the real credit!
Here's a full count of countries and/or ethnicities I've included so far: Albanian, Armenian, Belgian, Bengali, Bosnian, Burmese, Congolese, Danish, Estonian, Ethiopian, Filipino, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Israeli, Khmer, Kurdish, Latvian, Malay, Maori, Nigerian, Norwegian, Pashtun, Serbo-Croatian, Sinhalese, Swahili and Vietnamese.     

I've just tried to import the first theme (Albanian) and the special characters (non-English letters) all turn to question marks. I still haven't figured out why files from some players are fine and others have problems with special characters. I assume it is something to do with file formatting but can't pin it down.

Does anyone else have any ideas? :)

EDIT: Found it - the text file has to be saved in UTF-8 encoding. Please can everyone submitting files use that format. For example, if you save in notepad, use the encoding dropdown next to the Save button

EDIT 2: Added so far: Albanian, Armenian, Belgian, Bengali, Bosnian, Burmese, Congolese, Danish, Estonian, Ethiopian, Vietnamese
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:38:35 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Nemes

• Leading Rate
  • N
Re: Naming Theme Suggestions
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2020, 05:29:19 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10472. msg137228#msg137228 date=1592301598
Quote from: Son_of_Orion link=topic=10472. msg127780#msg127780 date=1587779828
Well, I've completed version 2 of my additional commander namelist archive.     I've added over a dozen more nationalities/ethnicities with thousands of new names.     I would've added more, but there is a limitation I've found with Aurora itself that prevent me from doing so.     Namely, it does not differentiate between male and female-specific surnames, 'cause you can only add one surname file.     This is important for countries like Lithuania and Iceland, where men and women have starkly different naming conventions from each other.     Even so, there's a lot to unpack here, and I'm quite pleased with my progress.     I hope this makes your human-centric games feel far more diverse and immersive! Also, as stated before, this is not my original work.     I simply lifted them from the old XCOM Enemy Unknown mod Enhanced Namelists.     The mod creator deserves the real credit!
Here's a full count of countries and/or ethnicities I've included so far: Albanian, Armenian, Belgian, Bengali, Bosnian, Burmese, Congolese, Danish, Estonian, Ethiopian, Filipino, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Israeli, Khmer, Kurdish, Latvian, Malay, Maori, Nigerian, Norwegian, Pashtun, Serbo-Croatian, Sinhalese, Swahili and Vietnamese.     

I've just tried to import the first theme (Albanian) and the special characters (non-English letters) all turn to question marks.  I still haven't figured out why files from some players are fine and others have problems with special characters.  I assume it is something to do with file formatting but can't pin it down.

Does anyone else have any ideas? :)

EDIT: Found it - the text file has to be saved in UTF-8 encoding.  Please can everyone submitting files use that format.  For example, if you save in notepad, use the encoding dropdown next to the Save button

Yes, you must convert it to UTF-8 as I did with the Hungarian set (please see my attachment) but still you need a native speaker to proofread it because the result will not be perfect with the special characters (?, ?, etc. ).  I have done the following steps:

- Fixed dozens of spelling errors
- Removed the tons of duplicates
- Removed some strange/rare/nonexistent names and added more commonly used ones
- Fixed the missing/wrong accents
- Converted the files from ANSI to UTF-8 so every special character is appearing correctly in the game

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72