Author Topic: Cold War Comments Thread  (Read 74909 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Cold War Comments Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 23, 2022, 03:39:46 PM »
The D'Bringi's mysterious benefactors make their move!

We certainly have interesting times ahead of us, both in Alliance and Colonial Union.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #526 on: February 23, 2022, 07:35:20 PM »
Great update!
It seems clear that the whole government network is compromised by a highly sophisticated and reactive adversary.

If they shut down or limit use of the ICN, how quick are courier drones compared with courier ships like corvettes? Do courier drones have a cost?

Apparently I was wrong to request a map of the area surrounding Villers, I should have asked for an updated Rehorish map. :P

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #527 on: February 23, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »
Great update!
It seems clear that the whole government network is compromised by a highly sophisticated and reactive adversary.

If they shut down or limit use of the ICN, how quick are courier drones compared with courier ships like corvettes? Do courier drones have a cost?

Apparently I was wrong to request a map of the area surrounding Villers, I should have asked for an updated Rehorish map. :P

Courier drones move as fast as corvettes, or faster, without risk of burnout.  But, they rely on positioning data from a navigation buoy every time they jump through a warp point, or they might get lost.  And if the ICN is compromised, can the nav systems, which are built into the same comms buoy, be trusted? 

Courier drones don't have a cost.  Each colony has a limited number of drones, depending on size, if I remember correctly, and they automatically are replenished every month.  No cost. 

The following users thanked this post: Migi

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2022, 12:26:26 PM »
Some fleets were sending messages via courier drones early in the campaign, I assume they were loaded from planets? Do they take transport space like fighters and pinnaces? Is remembering to carry them a massive pain and a good reason to use the ICN (at least in normal times)?   ;D
Presumably small ships stationed at every warp point could act as a relay, either by sending messages directly or catching and forwarding drones?
From the shipyards section, if MSY is a mobile shipyard, what is MS?

All of that means that the Alliance’s massive commitment of ships languishes in the Villiers system, waiting, while the Zir apparently dither
the Zir cannot come to grips with either the Alliance’s constant pushing to take action, or indeed, on what action to take
I think the correct phrase to use is "smeg, or get off the pot".

the Alliance Navy has decided to push forward with a massive program of refits to modernize the fleet
The Rehorish high command has gone on alert, and no new refits will be started
Someone on the D'Bringi side is going to notice this at some point.

The Kingdom has mothballed a significant percentage of the fleet now that it is clear that the Alliance is no threat, and is focusing on expanding its territory and economy.
For their sake, I hope this information was kept off the Alliance ICN.

The Mintek have almost as many shipyards as the CU and Bjering have put together, despite having less income than either. I thought they preferred large hulls because they used Dreadnoughts early on. That said, they seem to have a bit of an advantage because they've upgraded their whole fighter force, whereas the other major powers are still in progress or not started.

The Alliance seems by far the strongest side in terms of income and military, but they seem to be at risk of over-extension and paralysis, because of the number of races they are maintaining as associate members.

Assuming it isn't a spoiler, could you put the current tech level of the Aurarii, Chirq, Doraz, Lothar, Torqual and Zir, and also the Major Races?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
Some fleets were sending messages via courier drones early in the campaign, I assume they were loaded from planets? Do they take transport space like fighters and pinnaces? Is remembering to carry them a massive pain and a good reason to use the ICN (at least in normal times)?   ;D
Presumably small ships stationed at every warp point could act as a relay, either by sending messages directly or catching and forwarding drones?
All ships carry courier drones for free, about 1 per 5 hs. However as Kurt said they are dependent on nav beacons at each JP , and those beacons are probably compromised so courier drones cannot be expected to reach their desination. They are also much slower than the ICN which is light speed. You could replace the beacons with ships but thats expensive.
MS is machine shop smaller than a SY and capable of only some of its functions such as assembling components and I think repairs no construction though

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
Do courier drones have a range?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2022, 02:16:33 AM »
CDs are approximately fighter sized robotic space craft carried by military ships at 1/10 HS and freighters at 1/40 HS, I believe each colony has 1 CD per 50 PU.  The ship can carry more as cargo for 2MC and 8 csp.  They can be carried on XO racks with 10 XO racks required.  There are also short ranged reusable CDs that are used in "dsb-c" and "dsb-ncd" and (CC) a communication system that can be used to communicate in system and between systems when set up near a WP.

CDs have 3 possible speed settings: 12, 8, 6.  At those settings its range is limited to 3 STMP, 8 STMP, and 12 STMP respectively.  The endurance value is actually given in days but the STMPs are more relevant for determining how far they can travel.  It usually takes 1 STMP to travel from one system to another.  So 3 STMP means the CD has a range of 3 systems.  But in a critical situation I'd break out the maps and used the endurance in days and actual speed/distance to see when it arrives.

A CD requires a "dsb-n" or "dsb-ncd" on the WP to re-orient after a jump so if on is present there is a 70% chance the CD is lost.  So if you send enough CDs on a short enough journey likely some will arrive.  This is used in the book "In Death Ground" also they talk about omega drones or drones released when a ship suffers sudden destruction. 

CDs are slower than a light speed communications network (the ICN) and also suffer from the fact they are pre-programmed.  So a CD programmed to go to planet 1 of system X and transmit its message will not transmit it before it arrives unless it is communicated with by someone who can order it to (all military ships of that star nation).  One reason I use bases with (CC) on a lot of warp points since at least then someone sees the message sooner.

MS is machine shop.  It is a very limited facility that can repair damaged ships/bases, assemble pre-fabricated components and uncrate fighters/de-mothballed ships.  Due to a boo-boo in SFA it was able conduct refits which the rules preclude but most people allow.  I build them specifically for that purpose as refits are very shipyard intensive acts.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2022, 12:22:26 PM »

I won't answer the courier drone questions, as I think those have already been answered very capably by others.  In the early days of the campaign, all inter-system comms were by either courier drone or ship.  The fastest method of comms would have been to station small ships with communications modules on both sides each warp point along a critical warp chain, which would result in near light-speed comms.  that's pretty expensive, though, especially in reduced-growth, reduced construction speed campaign. 

MSY's are indeed mobile shipyards and are smaller and somewhat less capable than regular SY's.  MS are machine shops, and are capable of repairing and refitting ships, but not construction. 

All of that means that the Alliance’s massive commitment of ships languishes in the Villiers system, waiting, while the Zir apparently dither
the Zir cannot come to grips with either the Alliance’s constant pushing to take action, or indeed, on what action to take
I think the correct phrase to use is "smeg, or get off the pot".

the Alliance Navy has decided to push forward with a massive program of refits to modernize the fleet
The Rehorish high command has gone on alert, and no new refits will be started
Someone on the D'Bringi side is going to notice this at some point.

Something is seriously wrong with the Alliance's communications, I'd say. 

The Kingdom has mothballed a significant percentage of the fleet now that it is clear that the Alliance is no threat, and is focusing on expanding its territory and economy.
For their sake, I hope this information was kept off the Alliance ICN.

The Mintek have almost as many shipyards as the CU and Bjering have put together, despite having less income than either. I thought they preferred large hulls because they used Dreadnoughts early on. That said, they seem to have a bit of an advantage because they've upgraded their whole fighter force, whereas the other major powers are still in progress or not started.

I just noticed that as well.  That is an artifact of my not paying attention to details.  The Mintek have not come close utilizing all of their home system's shipyards at any point, and really should have mothballed a lot of them at some point, given the economic crunch they've been under at various times.  In addition, they successfully seized the shipyards over both the Alowan and the Bedu home worlds, further bolstering their yard capacity. 

As for the fighter advantage, the difference between an F1 and an F0 is not huge.  The F1 can carry 50% more external ordnance, 3 weapons instead of 2 for the F0, but has the same loaded speed.  The F1 does have twice the endurance of the F0, and better sensor range, though.  Having a homogenous force of F1's will be an advantage but will not make up for being seriously outnumbered. 

The Alliance intends to significantly boost its shipyard capacity, but it is currently locked into major round of refits.  Both the Alliance and the Colonial Union believe that they have under-invested in shipyards and will seek to change that in the future, but there are many other commitments as well. 

The Alliance seems by far the strongest side in terms of income and military, but they seem to be at risk of over-extension and paralysis, because of the number of races they are maintaining as associate members.

Assuming it isn't a spoiler, could you put the current tech level of the Aurarii, Chirq, Doraz, Lothar, Torqual and Zir, and also the Major Races?

Mintek Universal Union is HT-9, on its way to HT-10
Bjering Consolidate is HT-9, well on their way to HT-10
Colonial Union is HT-8, just starting out on R&D for HT-9
Alliance is HT-9, just starting out on R&D for HT-10

Alliance partners and treaty members:
Aurarii Republic is HT-9, working on developing HT-9 systems
Bir Meritocracy is HT-1. on its way towards HT-2 with assistance from the Alliance
Chirq Cooperative is HT-3, just starting out R&D in HT 4
Doraz Contingency is HT-7, well on its way to HT-8
Kingdom of Lothar is HT-10, on its way to HT-11 (Note, the Kingdom has gone to lengths to conceal its true tech level from the Alliance, and has successfully convinced them that they are at the same tech level)
Torqual Free State is HT-7, currently developing HT-7 systems
The Zir Contemplative Union is HT-7, on its way towards HT-8

The upshot is that the Mintek have a small tech lead over the Alliance, and a bigger tech lead over the Colonial Union, but is slightly behind the Bjering.  Of the Alliance member races, the most militarily and economically important are the Zir, Torqual, and Doraz, and all of these are HT-7, which is pre-fighter.  All three are advancing relatively quickly, though, as the Alliance is assisting their R&D efforts. 

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #533 on: February 27, 2022, 10:52:48 AM »
please
  please
    please
      please
let it be the death snots behind the sabotage of the alliance

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #534 on: February 27, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
please
  please
    please
      please
let it be the death snots behind the sabotage of the alliance

Now, now, no spoilers  ;D

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »
Re: Amalgenation

For the Thebans, it has basically 2 major benefits and a minor one.
a) a lot more benign worlds for one race, I can by now basically settle all T-Type worlds as benign (cheaper colonisation)
b) More spreading centers in the low income and low pop growth game. Having amalgenated 3 other races, I have now 6 fully settles planets in 4 systems allowing me to ship 600 PTU each turn from 4 locations without reducing my income. Basically pushing the cheap to colonise envelope from 4 places instead of one.
c )Time saved, only 1 race to do research, refits etc. with instead of 4. Refits is actually the big one here, its time intensive chasing down all the ships and making new designs.

Drawbacks: Gotta chase down all thos  ships, and they come from 4 different lines of design philosophies. And some are worth keeping around for variety, making the theban fleets more unpredictable. But again, doig it on 4 separate races would be even worse, as the thembans have been able to consolidate soem similar ship designs into one (Especially with smaller ships like FG, DD, CL, CA.).
4 home systems to protect, and the overall income is not high enough to have  alot of ships outside he home systems without exposing them unecessary. As the campaign currently stands, each home system should have at least 15 SD and 6 CV to cover it adequately against a bug incursion, and I can't afford that. One reason the Thebans are probably the biggest users of bases in the galaxy, with about half their maintenance sunk into bases.
The theban have more commitments than they can cover adequately, and its a matter of luck whether or not the bugs manage to exploit the resulting weaknesses. (They haven't so far, as they are stuck with trying to subjugate the seals and cannon cartell unsuccesfully. The bugs also suffer the too many fires not enough pails issue.)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #536 on: April 18, 2022, 07:05:54 PM »
Looks like things are about to heat up!

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #537 on: April 19, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »
I wasn't expecting an update on the Humans.
Maybe that means humans have been doing all the sneaky manipulation!
Or maybe they'll be the next target...

Looking at the new map, the human territory is very linear, so if they lose control of a system they lose access to all the colonies behind it.
Also what do the blue and red bars mean?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2022, 07:33:02 AM »
I wasn't expecting an update on the Humans.
Maybe that means humans have been doing all the sneaky manipulation!
Or maybe they'll be the next target...

Looking at the new map, the human territory is very linear, so if they lose control of a system they lose access to all the colonies behind it.
Also what do the blue and red bars mean?

The depict the supply status of the fleet stationed in that system. 

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2022, 12:28:18 PM »
Looks like someone has used their compromise of the communication network to try and start a war. I am also sure that everyone will believe the Rehorish when they try and explain this after all they have never decieved and betrayed the humans before :(

One wonders why the 3rd party wants a war and what they will gain from it