Author Topic: Well wishes, and a thank you.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline ChaosRemnant (OP)

• The one who knows random things about other random things.
  • Able Ordinary Rate
  • Might you be a Varga's Brain?
  • Discord Username: ChaosRemnant/Alsora#1945
Well wishes, and a thank you.
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:59:01 PM »
I don't know if this should go here, but this is a general discussion board and I could not find a board for appreciation at the time that I post this.         

I have been lurking in this forum for probably 4-5 years now.     Thought I had already made an account but apparently not.   (Aleast it was not one of my most recent 10ish email accounts, or the name of the account was not one that I normally used over the past 10 years.    ) And seeing all the drama going around I thought I might atleast put in a show of appreciation for you, your work, and the effort that it has taken you to get this far.         

When I first stumbled into the game and it being called a 4x Dwarf Fortress, I fell in love.   Seeing that it was a single person who worked to get it so far, and the respect I have for you to do this only as a hobby, and adamantly refusing to be paid for it honestly warmed my heart.   I saw what one person who enjoys programming could do, the depth that you went into it, your dedication to it, the amount of joy you had in making it and the stories, honestly shaped my choice in what I wanted to be able to do after going to college.   I always knew it would be something technical, but you sir, you showed me that coding even if it was not done efficiently, can make miracles that produce joy for others.   I am now soon(tm) going to be graduating from college with a dual associates in computer programming and networking.   It has taken me a long time, with a large amount of personal issues, but everytime I got disenchanted with schoolwork I would take a peek at your logs in development, and see how far you have gone.   Your hobby has honestly helped me through periods of depression and self loathing over these years.    If you feel the need to no longer openly distribute Aurora due to a small minority of the people here disrespecting you, I will be sad to see it go, but I will understand your reasons behind doing so.    If it infact does go, I would hope to have your permission to stick the last public release in a flashdrive that I have personal pictures and other memories in.   Not to distribute or to give out, just to keep something that has shaped my life and take it with me where I go.   Without your permission Mr.  Walmsley, I will not do so, and I can honestly see that as possibly being to much to ask, especially with everything that is currently going on.         

I hope that you will have good luck and good health in both mental and physical regards through the current pandemic, and I hope to see your life's work continue.  Thank you for sharing your vision with the world.
Best Wishes,
ChaosRemnant
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:21:31 PM by ChaosRemnant »
Excalibur is the sword of Promised Victory.   What happens when the shard Path to Victory sees it?

The following users thanked this post: bro918, Alsadius, AlitarSemiramis, Ektor

Offline nebbish

• Leading Rate
  • n
Re: Well wishes, and a thank you.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »
Yes I agree drama is bad  :)

I would like to say I very much agree with the post here.   So time for a little praise.    I have also a lot of appreciation for this project.   So Steve thank you so much its a very fun game and I feel like I will have many exciting games ahead to play in the future with this game. 

I have actually only recently discovered Aurora so I am not a lurker like Chaos, rather just new blood.   Though saying that I have been a huge fan of the 4x genre for over a decade.   Both in board game format and video games.   I have to say this game is unique from all other games I have played.   It certainly has the features I have always wanted in a 4x.   I was very excited pending the release of this game as for the last couple months I was reading all your posts of the future features of this game. 

Now the game is here I can say it certainly meets the hype.   The game's interface is greatly improved and the additional depth added via the new mechanics very cool.   Amazingly you are giving this away for free.   Please do ignore the minority who are ungrateful.   There are always some out there who will complain.  I spent the last 4 weeks working at the NHS to help out so I can say I have experienced this first hand with some of the public!!

So Steve thank you very much.   I hope once you get through this initial phase of stepping on the bugs you can have a rest and play a nice long campaign.   I have read the setups for your 10 player controlled campaign in the past and they sound insane.   So I hope I will get to hear much more of your future campaigns.   

Take it easy Have fun and I wish you all the best as well. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:09:43 PM by nebbish »

The following users thanked this post: V1D0

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
We <3 Steve

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:12 PM »
I also want to put here something, I just want to say if you see this steve, without your work my life would be a lot worse, I wouldnt be able to write in this amazing creative outlet as well as help others and share my experiences with them, you have shared this game for free, your hobby, your passion, and this is incredible, you deserve all the respect possible, and anyone who does not give you this is not worthy of even owning this game let alone being entitled enough to spin it against you, I hope you continue to support it because without you doing that, its going to be a lot harder for me to be creative.

Thank you Steve!

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »
I want to add to this too. I played quite a lot of Aurora VB6, amazed that how something so complex could be built from that, and reminding me of also other old games coded in VB6 that I have enjoyed so much (like VGA Planets).

The release of Aurora C# is impressive: it is truly a testament to your skills, patience, and vision. I wish I had the persistence you have with Aurora C# on my own personal coding projects. And the rate you have been putting out bug fixes in the past few days it's incredible.

I wish you the best Steve, you have created something incredible and thank you so much for letting us enjoy it too.