Author Topic: Some basic gameplay questions.  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Some basic gameplay questions.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Thanks Erik and sorry for mis-spelling your name in the last post.  What about the deep space tracking station?  Is it an active or a passive system?

I want to say those are passives. But I am not sure. And no worries on the name :)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Next basic question:
How do you load the magazines of PDCs with missiles?  I can see how it is done with ships (load ordinance - easy!), but not with PDCs.
Welchbloke

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »
On the F5 'Class Design' window you can set a default loadout, which will then be loaded automatically when the PDC is built (assuming sufficient missiles of the correct types are available in the planetary stocks).  Otherwise, the F6 'Ships' window has a bitton to 'load magazines', as well as the ability to specify a custom loadout.

I am unsure if a default load of missiles is included in a pre-fab'd PDC.  Either way, you'll need to transport reloads to its location to form a planetary missile stock.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
On the F5 'Class Design' window you can set a default loadout, which will then be loaded automatically when the PDC is built (assuming sufficient missiles of the correct types are available in the planetary stocks).  Otherwise, the F6 'Ships' window has a bitton to 'load magazines', as well as the ability to specify a custom loadout.

I am unsure if a default load of missiles is included in a pre-fab'd PDC.  Either way, you'll need to transport reloads to its location to form a planetary missile stock.

Thanks for the pointer; not quite as intuitive as loading ships.
Welchbloke

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »
Is there any place that shows which bodies have been fully exploited by Geo teams?

Offline VoidStalker

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:28 AM »
Quote from: "Starkiller"
Hi all.
As I've just started checking Aurora out, and going through the four
tutorials, I have a couple of questions. First, does a ship require a Jump
Drive to go through a Warp Point? I ask because in the Tutorial on ship
creation, none of the warships he designed, had a Jump Drive.

Second, what is required to start a colony? I'm sure it's more than just
plunking people down on a decent planet. :)

Eric
I also am brand new, and my (1st) question occurs before I get as far as Eric, and it is "What is the SM (Space Master) box, and why doesn't it allow me to enter a pw?  This part of the game creation is not in the tutorial in part one, and part two starts off with it so I guess now is a good time to ask.  also, I get this error msg when trying to proceed past this point:

Any help is appreciated,
Void

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
Is there any place that shows which bodies have been fully exploited by Geo teams?

Not that I know of, but that is a very good suggestion.  

Kurt

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
Quote from: "VoidStalker"
Quote from: "Starkiller"
Hi all.
As I've just started checking Aurora out, and going through the four
tutorials, I have a couple of questions. First, does a ship require a Jump
Drive to go through a Warp Point? I ask because in the Tutorial on ship
creation, none of the warships he designed, had a Jump Drive.

Second, what is required to start a colony? I'm sure it's more than just
plunking people down on a decent planet. :)

Eric
I also am brand new, and my (1st) question occurs before I get as far as Eric, and it is "What is the SM (Space Master) box, and why doesn't it allow me to enter a pw?  This part of the game creation is not in the tutorial in part one, and part two starts off with it so I guess now is a good time to ask.  also, I get this error msg when trying to proceed past this point:

Any help is appreciated,
Void

IIRC, unless you assigned an SM password when you created the game, just hit enter since the effective default password is spaces.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline VoidStalker

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Ah, ok then. :( ) until I fix this, lol. :mrgreen:

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
Ah, ok then. :( ) until I fix this, lol. :(
If in doubt type 'regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll vista' into a search engine and you will find several forums that have threads that talk you through how to do it.

Hope this helps
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
Ah, ok then. :( ) until I fix this, lol. :mrgreen:

Unzip to your windows/system directory. You might need to run regsvr32 against it.

Offline VoidStalker

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
thanks folks! :D

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
msstdfmt.dll
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »
you may also just drop msstdfmt.dll into the same folder as Aurora.exe. I run this off my jump drive and don't want to have to register all the dll's in windows at each computer that i use. If the needed dll's are in the working folder aurora finds them just fine.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
What good are colonies?
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 06:29:34 AM »
What good are colonies?  By colonies here I mean those with large populations.  

I built some colonies on the assumption that they are a good thing to have in any space 4X game.  Now they are big enough (~50m pop each I think) and growing at a high enough rate (~10%?) that they are consuming a large and ever growing amount of my HW's production and D* stock just supplying them with infrastructure so they don't run short of housing and get annoyed.  One has enough D* potential/production that if I hauled enough industry there it could probably build its own infrastructure, but its D* supply won't last forever and one of the reasons I built the colony there in the first place was a plan that it could mine D* and ship it to the HW.  I can foresee this infrastructure problem growing as the colonies continue to grow.  

I can see the value of colonies to man mines which are cheaper than automated mines to produce.  Also, once the HW resources are mined out, the existing mines are useless there but can function on colonies that have resources to mine.  Of course eventually those colonies resources will also be mined out and the process would have to be repeated at a new colony site.  Assuming of course that you are lucky enough to find an inhabitable world that also has decent mineral resources.  But then what do you do with the original colonies that keep demanding more and more infrastructure?  Let them go in to revolt?  

Traditionally colonies ship raw materials back to the homeland to feed industry there.  As the colonies mature, they develop their own industry and eventually end up trading with the homeland (or rebelling of course and going their own way).  

Aside of manning mines, the only real advantage I see to pop on colonies vs leaving the pop on the HW is the growth rate on colonies seems to be higher.  Should I reverse my colony ships and start siphoning off pop to return to the HW to grow the tax base?  I would of course be fighting against the efforts of the civilian colony ships.  I can think of a bunch of small uses for colonies but I'm asking about the big picture here.  I tried adding research centers to colonies so I could research more than one technology at a time, but I see little real benefit to that vs just researching one thing at a time on the HW faster.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
Two things to think about when placing colonies.  Can the world be terraformed in a reasonable time.  If it can then get the terraformers over there and get working (reasonable time would be 10-15 years)  Once a colony does not need infrastructure to grow the duranium problem goes away.  The second benifit from having colonies is with the leader bonuses.  It is very unlikely that your one leader on the homeworld has the best possible bonuses in every usefull catagory.  If you can start specalizing the colonies to support the homeworld things in general work better.  Related to this is that the bonus for reasearch is quadrupled if it is in the leaders specialty.  Once you have a few labs on a colony and get a leader with a 30% bonus different than the bonus the homeworld leader has the overall rate of progress goes up.  Another place that having a few labs helps alot is in reasearching specific systems once you have designed them.  If you are not in a big rush for a particular system then let the colony work on that while your main reasearch facilities work on the much more expensive tech lines.  (also note the x4 bonus applies to system design reasearch so a 15cm laser design being reasearched on a colony with a leader who's reasearch is spec'd for energy weapons is actually reasearching it at 120%.)

Brian