Author Topic: CIWS  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
CIWS
« on: April 28, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
Can someone explain how CIWS works? I thought that a CIWS system worked completely independent of other sensors or input.

I have a scout ship looking into an enemy's homeworld with a couple of CIWS on it as I thought the missile tech there was fairly low and such a setup would give it some immunity. Now I have the system's defense fleet destroying my scout with missiles that never showed up on my scout's active radar, with no evidence that the CIWS ever fired at anything.

I'm assuming I would get some kind of event log saying the CIWS was firing, right? If that's true, why didn't my CIWS fire on any missiles?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
Re: CIWS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 06:34:28 PM »
Can someone explain how CIWS works? I thought that a CIWS system worked completely independent of other sensors or input.

I have a scout ship looking into an enemy's homeworld with a couple of CIWS on it as I thought the missile tech there was fairly low and such a setup would give it some immunity. Now I have the system's defense fleet destroying my scout with missiles that never showed up on my scout's active radar, with no evidence that the CIWS ever fired at anything.

I'm assuming I would get some kind of event log saying the CIWS was firing, right? If that's true, why didn't my CIWS fire on any missiles?

here http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=CIWS

All I can think of why CIWS not firing is the tracking speed being lower than the actual missile you are trying to shot down.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:40:53 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Scud

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »
CIWS in C# requires an active sensor detection of the incoming missiles as of 1.8; Steve mentioned it is a bug (in the 1.8 bugs thread), but did not specifically say whether it had been fixed for 1.9.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »

here http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=CIWS

All I can think of why CIWS not firing is the tracking speed being lower than the actual missile yo are trying to shot down.

Okay, maybe too barebone. You need to consider also CIWS has an integrated sensor so it usually added to commercial ships as a tiny defense just in case they got caught in a short fight.

Also, they need to be enabled under the ship tab if I remember properly, although not sure if this function was removed in C#.

EDIT: As said in a previous post there was or there is a bug currently, if fixed it's unknown.

Offline Omnivore

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
If CIWS has not been fixed as of 1.9.0, there is an easy workaround.  Unlike VB, the C# version allows commercial active sensors as long as they are size 1 HS or smaller.  Simply make the smallest cheapest active sensor possible and add it to your class design (use SM if already built).

Of course, you will have to remember to turn actives on.

The following users thanked this post: Conscript Gary, SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:47:51 AM »
If CIWS has not been fixed as of 1.9.0, there is an easy workaround.  Unlike VB, the C# version allows commercial active sensors as long as they are size 1 HS or smaller.  Simply make the smallest cheapest active sensor possible and add it to your class design (use SM if already built).

So in this case, I had a large, military active sensor on the ship, which was turned on. And the missiles were neither sensed by active radar nor fired upon by CIWS. My tech for both things seem pretty high to me, but perhaps it is what another responder said; that the turret tracking speed was less than that of the missile and it reached me too quickly?

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 08:10:50 AM »

So in this case, I had a large, military active sensor on the ship, which was turned on. And the missiles were neither sensed by active radar nor fired upon by CIWS. My tech for both things seem pretty high to me, but perhaps it is what another responder said; that the turret tracking speed was less than that of the missile and it reached me too quickly?

Do you have the enemy who fired the missiles flagged as hostile?  I'm not sure if it applies to CIWS, but there was talk in of PD not firing against the incoming missiles of non hostile (well, not flagged as hostile) NPRs.

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »

Do you have the enemy who fired the missiles flagged as hostile?  I'm not sure if it applies to CIWS, but there was talk in of PD not firing against the incoming missiles of non hostile (well, not flagged as hostile) NPRs.

Yes, these aliens are flagged as hostile.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »
CIWS should be working in v1.9 without active sensors.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, consiefe, UberWaffe, Roblakov

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
Unlike VB, the C# version allows commercial active sensors as long as they are size 1 HS or smaller.
Size 1 active (and passive) sensors were commercial systems in VB.

Offline Omnivore

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Unlike VB, the C# version allows commercial active sensors as long as they are size 1 HS or smaller.
Size 1 active (and passive) sensors were commercial systems in VB.

Oops, well I remembered that passives were, but thought actives weren't, but then last VB I played was 6.2 or so about 7 or 8 years ago.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 05:55:47 AM »

I can now confirm that as 1.9.5 CIWS works without any setting and or Active Sensors, they will shoot as soon as a missile is in range.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »

I can now confirm that as 1.9.5 CIWS works without any setting and or Active Sensors, they will shoot as soon as a missile is in range.

Hostile missile -- or did you mean CIWS is firing on missiles from neutral powers?

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
Hostile missile -- or did you mean CIWS is firing on missiles from neutral powers?
I know what you mean, but I cannot help but think the following...

Tactical Officer: "Captain! Incoming missile barrage!"
Captain: "What?! We are in neutral space! Did the Caldonians declare war?"
Tactical Officer: "Sir? They shot several hundred missiles at us!"
Captain: "Did... they... declare... war?"
Tactical Officer: "Err... No, sir."
Captain: "Tis fineeeeee then!"

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »

I had an NPR I still set as Neutral in my test game. They fired missiles at me and the CIWS shot them down. I then switched that NPR to hostile.