Author Topic: Alien Communication Issues  (Read 3256 times)

Offline dlathro1 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
Alien Communication Issues
« on: May 04, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »
I found an alien colony on a planet I had colonized for a couple of years when I built a Deep Space Tracking Station on the planet.  I have been attempting to communicate with them for several years now, but to no avail, no notifications on progress or even notifications that they refuse to communicate.  I am beginning to suspect they don't know I exist.  I have turned on active sensors to make my presence known and I'm not at all being subtle, but nothing seems to be happening.

I have attached my DB if it helps.  The aliens in question are in the Barnard's Star system and I am playing on a 1. 9. 3 install.

Thanks in advance.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Alien Communication Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »
I found an alien colony on a planet I had colonized for a couple of years when I built a Deep Space Tracking Station on the planet.  I have been attempting to communicate with them for several years now, but to no avail, no notifications on progress or even notifications that they refuse to communicate.  I am beginning to suspect they don't know I exist.  I have turned on active sensors to make my presence known and I'm not at all being subtle, but nothing seems to be happening.

I have attached my DB if it helps.  The aliens in question are in the Barnard's Star system and I am playing on a 1. 9. 3 install.

Thanks in advance.

Please update your game to 1.9.4 and also read through diplomacy changes and mechanics then try to reproduce and if you do then edit your post and we can look at it

The following users thanked this post: dlathro1

Offline dlathro1 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:16:23 PM »
I have updated my save to 1. 9. 4 and the problem persists.

It is possible that the issue is caused by a bug, but I find it immensely more likely that I have misunderstood how the contact mechanics work.

What are the requirements for an alien race to 1) know you exist and 2) get to decide whether or not to communicate with you?

I have attache my 1. 9. 4 DB.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »
Quote from: dlathro1 link=topic=11261. msg130786#msg130786 date=1588626983
I have updated my save to 1.  9.  4 and the problem persists. 

It is possible that the issue is caused by a bug, but I find it immensely more likely that I have misunderstood how the contact mechanics work. 

What are the requirements for an alien race to 1) know you exist and 2) get to decide whether or not to communicate with you?

I have attache my 1.  9.  4 DB.
I believe they need to see you to talk to you but the way I see it you don't have any diplomatic ships (ships with a diplo module) within sensor range of the alien race.  AFAICR you need those to communicate.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline DoctorDanny

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
Like Gabrote says, you need a ship with a diplomatic module in the system.
It needs to be close enough to their planet to actually communicate (didn't know it was THEIR sensor range you had to be in).

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Please update your game to 1.9.4 and also read through diplomacy changes and mechanics then try to reproduce and if you do then edit your post and we can look at it

Many people asking for diplomacy, I think this is going in the FAQ. I will check the best way to do it first.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:56:04 AM »

They probably have no sensors of their own -- most likely they are pre-TN.

The best thing your empire could do to let them know of your presence is to have your ship(s) turn on their transponders (to all).