Author Topic: Is there a known bug in the way survey points are calculated?  (Read 925 times)

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
I have a ship with 1 geological survey sensor and 6 gravitational survey sensors, operating in my home system.

The ship commander has a survey stat of 30%

When I select the fleet (containing only that one ship) in the naval organization window, the stats at the top of the screen say "Geo Survey 1.15, Grav Survey 6.9."  Where are these numbers coming from?  I thought it should be 1.3 and 7.8 (multiplying both the 1 and the 6 by 1.3)

Also, when the ship is surveying a survey point and I advance one hour at a time, the SP required goes down by 7.9 every hour.

The 7.9 survey points per hour is not affected when I move the ship into or out of the chain of three survey admin commands where the commanders have survey ratings of 30%, 25%, and 15%. I thought it should be higher when the ship is under the appropriate admin commands.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Is there a known bug in the way survey points are calculated?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:31:19 AM »
The commander of a ship only provides half of their bonus to the survey points. So 30% Survey is a boost of 15%, which fits the numbers you provided. If you add a Science Department to a ship and place a commander there, they will provide their full survey bonus in addition to the ship commander's half survey bonus.

Regarding naval organization, I believe that even if the numbers don't change, they are still properly affected by the survey bonuses in the command structure. Someone tested it, and if the ship in in a command structure, they will finish a survey faster, even though the numbers doesn't change.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:17:38 PM by smoelf »

The following users thanked this post: Gabethebaldandbold

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Is there a known bug in the way survey points are calculated?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »
A "Bridge" component allows the officer commanding a ship to apply half their bonuses in all relevant fields.

A "Science Department" allows an officer assigned to it (who is therefore not commanding the ship) to apply their full bonus to geo & grav survey operations -- in addition to the captain's half-bonus, if any.