Author Topic: What Are the Point of Colonies?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: What Are the Point of Colonies?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
In VB6 aurora, I always colonized Luna and Mars, and one would get my best ship construction administrator, and the other would get my best ground force training speed administrator.  When you are talking +50 or even +60 ship building, that is an enormous savings, especially as it applies to retooling and shipyard expansion as well.

Lower population worlds having a smaller service worker population.  If you have a 25 million pop world, you can employ most of them in construction or research.  If you have a billion pop world, 750 million are going to be in service jobs.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
In VB6 aurora, I always colonized Luna and Mars, and one would get my best ship construction administrator, and the other would get my best ground force training speed administrator.  When you are talking +50 or even +60 ship building, that is an enormous savings, especially as it applies to retooling and shipyard expansion as well.

Lower population worlds having a smaller service worker population.  If you have a 25 million pop world, you can employ most of them in construction or research.  If you have a billion pop world, 750 million are going to be in service jobs.

Moving your shipyards to Luna in order to take advantage of the Ship Construction speed of an Admin is a clever idea. And its a cool role-play idea. I'll have to try that!

EDIT: Dammit, you can't move Shipyards! That's disappointing. Guess its time for some Space Magic...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:40:44 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 06:36:24 PM »
EDIT: Dammit, you can't move Shipyards! That's disappointing...

Yes, you can. You need a tug to tow them.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Borealis4x, UberWaffe

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 06:41:22 PM »
EDIT: Dammit, you can't move Shipyards! That's disappointing...

Yes, you can. You need a tug to tow them.

o smeg, and my heavy tugs have just rolled off the assembly line.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
Its a shame you cant put Orbital Habitats in deep space. I've got two empty systems between Sol and a rich system I'm colonizing, and it'd be nice if I could create civilian markets in between them.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
Its a shame you cant put Orbital Habitats in deep space. I've got two empty systems between Sol and a rich system I'm colonizing, and it'd be nice if I could create civilian markets in between them.

Technically you can, it's just nobody wants to live there.

(And with the new system editing options in SpaceMaster, you can add a 50 meter rock to each system and a low-grav colony to trigger your orb-habs.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:10:43 AM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: Vizzy, UberWaffe, dsedrez