Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 423601 times)

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #4170 on: July 13, 2024, 04:10:43 AM »
Previou version.  You can shoot through atmosphere fine now

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline AstroCrab

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #4171 on: July 15, 2024, 08:51:22 PM »
I've searched a bit for information on the accuracy bonus given by the time spent tracking incoming missiles and found old threads about it being completely broken. Is that still the case, or is that tech useful now?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4172 on: July 16, 2024, 02:18:10 AM »
I've searched a bit for information on the accuracy bonus given by the time spent tracking incoming missiles and found old threads about it being completely broken. Is that still the case, or is that tech useful now?

This is the relevant post for C#.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg115708#msg115708

The following users thanked this post: AstroCrab

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #4173 on: July 21, 2024, 05:45:10 PM »
I seem to be laboring under a misconception.  In conducting a jump assault, I thought it went this way:

Turn 1: Attacking fleet jumps in, can't target because doesn't know what's there.  Defending fleet can't target or fire either.
Turn 2: Attacking fleet suffers jump shock and may or may not be able to fire.  Defending fleet can fire.

But, based on an experiment I just ran (I'm calling it that), it seems that the defenders can fire as soon as the attacking fleet appears, i.e., on turn one.  Is this right?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4174 on: July 21, 2024, 06:41:39 PM »
I seem to be laboring under a misconception.  In conducting a jump assault, I thought it went this way:

Turn 1: Attacking fleet jumps in, can't target because doesn't know what's there.  Defending fleet can't target or fire either.
Turn 2: Attacking fleet suffers jump shock and may or may not be able to fire.  Defending fleet can fire.

But, based on an experiment I just ran (I'm calling it that), it seems that the defenders can fire as soon as the attacking fleet appears, i.e., on turn one.  Is this right?

If the defenders in this case are NPRs, then yes, that is how it works for some reason. I assume it has to do with the fact that NPRs interface with the game mechanics a bit differently from how the players do. Human players follow the rules as you understood them.

Once you know this annoying little glitch in the rules, I count it as a badly-needed advantage for the NPRs and play on.

The following users thanked this post: kks

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #4175 on: July 21, 2024, 06:52:21 PM »

If the defenders in this case are NPRs, then yes, that is how it works for some reason. I assume it has to do with the fact that NPRs interface with the game mechanics a bit differently from how the players do. Human players follow the rules as you understood them.

Once you know this annoying little glitch in the rules, I count it as a badly-needed advantage for the NPRs and play on.

Thanks.  That was a bad surprise.  That was a hell of a battle!  I'm not sure that any write-up can do justice to it. 

Teaser!

The following users thanked this post: kks

Offline LuuBluum

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • L
« Reply #4176 on: July 25, 2024, 06:55:20 PM »
Any way to move a character from one empire to another?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4177 on: July 25, 2024, 09:30:39 PM »
Any way to move a character from one empire to another?

Not without DB editing, as far as I know.

Offline LuuBluum

• L
« Reply #4178 on: July 25, 2024, 09:51:46 PM »
Agh, that's... honestly only mildly annoying really. I have ambitions (not any time soon) to do a campaign where I create additional empires for "distant holdings" of an empire (think representing administrative divisions of an empire by creating an empire for each division as you go about colonizing them), and wanted a good way to have military service move between the primary empire and its various "provinces".

I can transfer fleets at least (and also ground forces, I think?), so I can have that sort of coordination work fine. Just means I'll have to DB edit any time I want to move officers around the world a bit. Not the end of the world.

Offline LuuBluum

• L
« Reply #4179 on: July 26, 2024, 01:06:15 AM »
I assume that there's no system in place for colonists to be moved between populations of different empires?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #4180 on: July 26, 2024, 02:22:47 AM »
I assume that there's no system in place for colonists to be moved between populations of different empires?

There was at one point the notion of a neutral empire that any other empire could draw colonists from. I can’t recall now if that’s still a thing or not.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4181 on: July 26, 2024, 05:52:31 AM »
That still exists.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #4182 on: July 26, 2024, 07:09:26 AM »
Could you guys explain what you are talking of? Something like emigration?

Offline Flame_Draken

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #4183 on: July 26, 2024, 07:27:43 AM »

I ended up developing a doctrine of sending in a carrier wing or two for scouting/fire absorption before sending in my main assault force partially because of this issue.

Offline LuuBluum

• L
« Reply #4184 on: July 26, 2024, 01:28:53 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping for more like some sort of diplomatic action with another empire so that you would treat their population as a colonist source, and could set up colonies of their population in your empire, or something along those lines.

Alas, it means I get to do fun dumb things instead involving colonies and SMing population numbers around.