Author Topic: v1.12.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 37144 times)

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: v1.12.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »
Say I have multiple formations all needing replacements on the same body.  How will the game determine what order to distribute those replacements?

I assume there is a priority setting, but what about when that setting is equal?  I would think replacements should be handed out evenly but it could be good to have them be weighted such that more damaged formations receive more replacements, so all formations are fully manned at about the same time.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
Say I have multiple formations all needing replacements on the same body.  How will the game determine what order to distribute those replacements?

I assume there is a priority setting, but what about when that setting is equal?  I would think replacements should be handed out evenly but it could be good to have them be weighted such that more damaged formations receive more replacements, so all formations are fully manned at about the same time.

Im assuming that its either random or top-down from the list in that case. It is an important case for Steve to consider though

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »

There is a priority setting for each formation. If you want one formation to receive reinforcements first, increase the priority. Formations with the same priority setting will be chosen in a random order.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, QuakeIV, Droll

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
One thing that would be nice for moving ground combat units with a detailed OOB, would be an order to load the parent formation + the children.  For example: If you load a division, this order would also load the brigades, battalions, companies, etc. that are subordinate to the division.  This would save a lot of clicking for large, detailed formations.

This already exists, when issuing the load order look for a checkbox "load subordinates" or something like that.

Thanks.  I've been loading one click at a time because I missed the checkbox. 

Offline Stryker

• S
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
These are two similar changes so I will post both here.  On the Commander's tab, academies are called by there planet name.  Earth academy, Alpha Centauri academy, etc.  I have several academies that are named, and are similar in function.  There is, for example, my Maneuver Warfare Studies Institute, and my Artillery Combat School.  The problem is, when looking at the Commander's tab, is which is on which planet.  I suggest that if an academy is named, that it's name should appear on the Commander's tab instead of the planet's name.

Also, on the Commander's tab, I have 3 Comet #1.  2 of the are orbital mining and 1 is automated mining.  However, without assigning an administrator, and then looking on the summary tab, I can't tell one Comet #1 from the others.  I would recommend including the system name with asteroids and comets on the Commander's tab so that you can tell which is which.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2020, 07:21:09 AM »
Also, on the Commander's tab, I have 3 Comet #1.  2 of the are orbital mining and 1 is automated mining.  However, without assigning an administrator, and then looking on the summary tab, I can't tell one Comet #1 from the others.  I would recommend including the system name with asteroids and comets on the Commander's tab so that you can tell which is which.

On the first tab of the econ window you have a "Rename Pop" button. This is very useful for comets (and asteroids) for the reason you say--otherwise some will have matching names.

Offline Stryker

• S
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

On the first tab of the econ window you have a "Rename Pop" button. This is very useful for comets (and asteroids) for the reason you say--otherwise some will have matching names.

I am aware of this, but I don't change the names of comets or asteroids as they are only inhabited for mining (at least for now).  But even if you changed the names of comets and asteroids, that still leaves the problem of multiple military academies.  Seeing their name rather than planet would be useful.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:44 PM »

I am aware of this, but I don't change the names of comets or asteroids as they are only inhabited for mining (at least for now).  But even if you changed the names of comets and asteroids, that still leaves the problem of multiple military academies.  Seeing their name rather than planet would be useful.

Renaming the population does not change the name of the body.
You could just append the name of the system so that you can tell them apart when assigning administrators.

And no, this doesn't solve the problem for military academies.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2020, 09:02:12 AM »
Body and colony names are now separate. One is named through the System View Window (F9) and the other is named through the Colony Economy Window (F2).

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2020, 01:59:07 AM »
Is there any schedule as to when v1.12 is going to be released?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2020, 03:29:19 AM »
Bearing in mind that I don't understand the tradeoffs here, if its relatively easy to drop a release and then keep playing/adding things, that would be pretty neat.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2020, 04:15:51 AM »
Bearing in mind that I don't understand the tradeoffs here, if its relatively easy to drop a release and then keep playing/adding things, that would be pretty neat.

Aurora doesn't often allow that unfortunately. The issue is that many (most?) updates Steve makes to the game require changes in the AuroraDB file, so every time that database needs changing it immediately breaks all save compatibility with previous versions. There are some updates that are only code changes, so only affect Aurora.exe, and those can be released and will be save compatible. That's what the third number in the version represents - e.g. when we had 1.9.5, the ".5" part was used to show that it was only a change to the executable and so was save game compatible with other 1.9.* versions.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2020, 06:38:39 AM »

No, I don't have a fixed date. I still need to test the formation and replacement changes and go through the bugs list. How long depends on my free time and we've been busy lately. I was away four nights over the weekend in the motorhome for example.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »

No, I don't have a fixed date. I still need to test the formation and replacement changes and go through the bugs list. How long depends on my free time and we've been busy lately. I was away four nights over the weekend in the motorhome for example.

Hi Steve, quick off-topic, just discovered enough surprisingly that Isle of Man and Sicily (the place where I come from) have the same flag   :P

Now, as you probably know, Sicily is synonymous of Mafia, if you do not release the 1.12 ASAP, Im gonna send some of my bad guys over there to speed up the thing 8)

Im joking man, enjoy the motor home, hope to visit your place soon (for real, already pressing my gf).

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
Exciting changes, can't wait for it!
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV