Author Topic: Terraforming Gasses  (Read 5701 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Terraforming Gasses
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »
Alright something isn't working quite right...

I have several terraforming installations on Venus and a population of about 7m to operate them. I have CO2 set to 0 atm and the 'add gas' box is not checked, however after several years I have observed zero change in the CO2 levels in the Venusian atmosphere. What am I missing here?

...workers! I am missing 15m workers. Additional infrastructure en-route.
Venus has a 130% Agriculture and Environmental requirement, so you will never have enough workers to run your terraformers.  Either bring in Orbital Habitats or Orbital Terraformers.  I strongly recommend the latter.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »

I have several terraforming installations on Venus and a population of about 7m to operate them. I have CO2 set to 0 atm and the 'add gas' box is not checked, however after several years I have observed zero change in the CO2 levels in the Venusian atmosphere. What am I missing here?

Venus has a 130% Agriculture and Environmental requirement, so you will never have enough workers to run your terraformers.  Either bring in Orbital Habitats or Orbital Terraformers.  I strongly recommend the latter.

Is there any way to determine this without analyzing source code? I don't see a straightforward way to make this determination using the game interface... except by trial and error. Which I'm not completely opposed to. It just get's tedious sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline CowboyRonin

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »

Is there any way to determine this without analyzing source code? I don't see a straightforward way to make this determination using the game interface... except by trial and error. Which I'm not completely opposed to. It just get's tedious sometimes.

In terms of the special Venus requirement, I don't think so (I didn't know about it until I read this, but I've never been masochistic enough to try to terraform Venus).  However, in general, the Colony Summary screen shows you a breakdown of your workers by Agricultural and Environmental, Service, and Manufacturing (all the stuff you care about).  Those percentages change as the population increases, and I believe the habitability also changes them as well.  You can always look at that to determine "do I have enough people here to work the stuff I bring in?"  There is also a Manufacturing Sector Breakdown just below this, that shows how many people are working in what industry (i.e. type of facility).  The total population available is the same as the Manufacturing cut above - that's where you saw you were short 15m workers.  I try to keep an eye on this right along, rather than taking big swings with either population or facilities - it moves around quite a bit as you advance, so marginal increases aren't always what you expect.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »

In terms of the special Venus requirement, I don't think so (I didn't know about it until I read this, but I've never been masochistic enough to try to terraform Venus).  However, in general, the Colony Summary screen shows you a breakdown of your workers by Agricultural and Environmental, Service, and Manufacturing (all the stuff you care about).  Those percentages change as the population increases, and I believe the habitability also changes them as well.  You can always look at that to determine "do I have enough people here to work the stuff I bring in?"  There is also a Manufacturing Sector Breakdown just below this, that shows how many people are working in what industry (i.e. type of facility).  The total population available is the same as the Manufacturing cut above - that's where you saw you were short 15m workers.  I try to keep an eye on this right along, rather than taking big swings with either population or facilities - it moves around quite a bit as you advance, so marginal increases aren't always what you expect.

Yes...

And although I have doubled the infrastructure and population of Venus since my original post, there still exists a 15m worker shortage. Terraforming installations are still, I think, undermanned, and continue to underperform.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
Sounds like someone needs to dabble in the dark arts of orbital terraforming. Honestly I get that ground facilities can be massed more effectively, but the versatility of having ships and to a lesser extent orbital stations that can terraform beats all IMO. I just don't like to faff about with ground terraformers and infrastructure so I terraform planets and let civilian colonizers automatically colonize for me.

I'd recommend using a large fleet of terraforming ships since once your done, you can move em elsewhere without having to coerce your space peasants.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 10:18:37 PM »

Agriculture is a flat 5% of your total population.  Environmental is (5*colony cost)%, capped at 95%.  Colony Cost 19 and higher have a 100% A&E requirement.

I am not certain how Service Industries is calculated, but it scales somewhat with population and is capped at 70%.

Anything left is Workers.  If you have no workers then all worker-dependent installations stop working, the same as if they were on an uninhabited colony.

Sounds like someone needs to dabble in the dark arts of orbital terraforming. Honestly I get that ground facilities can be massed more effectively, but the versatility of having ships and to a lesser extent orbital stations that can terraform beats all IMO. I just don't like to faff about with ground terraformers and infrastructure so I terraform planets and let civilian colonizers automatically colonize for me.

I'd recommend using a large fleet of terraforming ships since once your done, you can move em elsewhere without having to coerce your space peasants.
I recommend a few large terraforming stations to reduce officer requirements.  There is no point putting engines on them as they tend to sit in place for years at a time.

The following users thanked this post: Landris

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 02:31:39 AM »
Agriculture is a flat 5% of your total population.  Environmental is (5*colony cost)%, capped at 95%.  Colony Cost 19 and higher have a 100% A&E requirement.

I am not certain how Service Industries is calculated, but it scales somewhat with population and is capped at 70%.

IIRC, the service sector consumes [(population in millions) x 10]^0.25 x 10% of the total workforce.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Landris

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 04:23:39 PM »
With the deployment of the Aphrodite Orbital, the Venusian atmosphere is slowly becoming more Terran.

Code: [Select]
TS Aphrodite (Aphrodite class Terraforming Station)      3,008,757 tons       2,194 Crew       16,962.8 BP       TCS 60,175    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 396      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 11      PPV 0
MSP 2,003    Max Repair 500 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 1,000,000    Habitation Capacity 1,000,000   
Captain    Control Rating 3   BRG   ENG   SCI   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Terraformer: 10 modules producing 0.006 atm per annum

Chaimberlin-Sherman Active Search Sensor AS11-R1 (20%) (1)     GPS 28     Range 11.2m km    MCR 1m km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
With the deployment of the Aphrodite Orbital, the Venusian atmosphere is slowly becoming more Terran.

TS Aphrodite (Aphrodite class Terraforming Station)      3,008,757 tons       2,194 Crew       16,962.8 BP       TCS 60,175    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 396      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 11      PPV 0
MSP 2,003    Max Repair 500 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 1,000,000    Habitation Capacity 1,000,000   
Captain    Control Rating 3   BRG   ENG   SCI   
Terraformer: 10 modules producing 0.006 atm per annum

Chaimberlin-Sherman Active Search Sensor AS11-R1 (20%) (1)     GPS 28     Range 11.2m km    MCR 1m km    Resolution 1

It would be cheaper and more efficient to strip off the cryo and habitats and put 10x as many terraformers on it:
Genesis 100 class Terraformer      2,518,663 tons       10,010 Crew       53,000.5 BP       TCS 50,373    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 1290      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 500 MSP
Kaigun-Ch?sa    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Terraformer: 100 modules producing 0.06 atm per annum

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 05:46:15 PM »
Eh... I'm not in a hurry and not terribly resource constrained.

I also like that the station can carry some workers around with it.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »
I use terraformer stations at 2.5mt, usually two. Even both at once, going for a venusian world is not worth it because it takes too long. You would want at least 1.5atm per annum and it would still take a ton of time.

Something like 20-30mt might do the job, but even I am not (yet) crazy enough to try that.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
I use terraformer stations at 2.5mt, usually two. Even both at once, going for a venusian world is not worth it because it takes too long. You would want at least 1.5atm per annum and it would still take a ton of time.

Something like 20-30mt might do the job, but even I am not (yet) crazy enough to try that.
The question is "can you can afford to put 1k+ terraforming modules on a planet for a century?"  I have yet to be able to answer "yes".  Crazy has nothing to do with it or I'd have done it already.  :)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »
I play with a research malus so my games are considerably slower than normal... more along the lines of one of the Civilizations game.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »

The question is "can you can afford to put 1k+ terraforming modules on a planet for a century?"  I have yet to be able to answer "yes".  Crazy has nothing to do with it or I'd have done it already.  :)

Yeah, it is always more about how much it costs than if you can do it. It is never worth doing in, occasionally might be fun but that is about it.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Eh... I'm not in a hurry and not terribly resource constrained.

I also like that the station can carry some workers around with it.

Mind you that terraforming modules on ships don't require workers on the colony (or the ships themselves) to operate. Same goes for mining modules or fuel harvesters.

I like big stations, but the issue I tend to have is building tugs big enough to move them within my lifetime/fast enough to catch up to the inner planets. There also seems to be a bug in 1.11 which increases fuel consumption as much as tug speed is reduced.