Author Topic: Fleet Organization  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Oitaul (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
Fleet Organization
« on: November 01, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »
I was wondering if someone had an example of how they set up their fleet admin command.  I am struggling with the best way to do it without to many admin positions.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Fleet Organization
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
Define too many.

This is with just started to explore, so all operations limited to Sol and few systems around it.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
Second froggiest's point. It's not about having too many admin positions, it's about not having enough!

Auto-promotion maintains a factor of 2 ratio at each rank. So to have 100 R2s (the default warship commander), you will have 50 R3s (the default warship commander if you have engineering, tactical, etc) and 25 R2s.

In US terms, that's 100 commanders, 50 captains, and 25 Rear Admirals (Lower Half). You need something for those Rear Admirals to do, and multi-layered admin commands are a good option!

Commodore is just a better word than Rear admiral (lower half). The US should change its rank structure!

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »
it's about not having enough!

You need something for those Rear Admirals to do, and multi-layered admin commands are a good option!

Mostly you don't want good officers to retire as well.

Offline Oitaul (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
Quote from: TheTalkingMeowth link=topic=12039. msg142527#msg142527 date=1604278699
Second froggiest's point.  It's not about having too many admin positions, it's about not having enough!

Auto-promotion maintains a factor of 2 ratio at each rank.  So to have 100 R2s (the default warship commander), you will have 50 R3s (the default warship commander if you have engineering, tactical, etc) and 25 R2s.

In US terms, that's 100 commanders, 50 captains, and 25 Rear Admirals (Lower Half).  You need something for those Rear Admirals to do, and multi-layered admin commands are a good option!

Commodore is just a better word than Rear admiral (lower half).  The US should change its rank structure!

Any tips on how to create a good multi-layered admin command? I have struggled with knowing how many and at what order should they be put in.  i. e.  who should be under what.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »
I tend to keep them as flat as possible. Single navy command, single survey command, single industry command, all under the top level.

The problem is that commanders keep dying and the bonuses stop getting applied and you only find out years later. You might also just not have a good commander who is exactly the rank you need for a given position. And move a ship that has a rank requirement one too high inside a command? No bonuses for you. Manually messing with who is still in range of what is also pain.

I can appreciate people doing it for the role-play aspect, but gameplay wise it's just too much micromanagement pain to deal with layered commands imho.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:14:05 AM »
I tend to keep them as flat as possible. Single navy command, single survey command, single industry command, all under the top level.

The problem is that commanders keep dying and the bonuses stop getting applied and you only find out years later. You might also just not have a good commander who is exactly the rank you need for a given position. And move a ship that has a rank requirement one too high inside a command? No bonuses for you. Manually messing with who is still in range of what is also pain.

I can appreciate people doing it for the role-play aspect, but gameplay wise it's just too much micromanagement pain to deal with layered commands imho.

Hi Zap0,

I don't know but here I kinda disagree with you. I have a timer fleet as a reminder for me to check all assignment and as I know I also run elections every now and then.

The yearly check takes no more than 30 seconds, 1 minute if I have to make adjustments. At election time I run a reassign all naval and that operation takes probably 2 or 3 minutes of my time.

Bottom line: I am more bored of setting up the same structure (or similar), game after game after game. A way to import-export admin command only would really be the real time saver.

IMHO

Any tips on how to create a good multi-layered admin command? I have struggled with knowing how many and at what order should they be put in.  i. e.  who should be under what.

I go with the below which builds up depending on the status of the game:

The example starts from the main general command and goes down the ladder for a Logistic structure:

GEN - MAIN ADMIN COMMAND
subcommand LOG - ADMIN COMMAND ROLE - Colonization Operations Command
sector command LOG - SECTOR - SOL SECTOR Colonization Operations
system command or special missions LOG - SYSTEM LEVEL - SOL Colonization Operations Department
group command LOG - SHIP/PLANET/BASE - SOL Colony Ship Operation Office

You can check back my picture and note I haven't discovered/used sector commands yet, so that branch has not been integrated yet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:23:47 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Cinnius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:13:02 AM »
Actually my naval organisation it's pretty intricate and I still don't have the division of the fleet by sector. Onestly i check every few years if one commanders is dead or retired or whatever reason they left their job and replace the missing commander.

how many rank do your naval commanders have?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »
Actually my naval organisation it's pretty intricate and I still don't have the division of the fleet by sector. Onestly i check every few years if one commanders is dead or retired or whatever reason they left their job and replace the missing commander.

how many rank do your naval commanders have?

8, but I am thinking of lowering to 6 to facilitate promotions to higher ranks. You can always add later.

I think until you have xos and such 8 or 10 is just asking for trouble.